Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Song of the South

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> * they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia*

>

> As a Disney fan who has never heard of this I am intrigued----WHAT did they censor, Holly?

Apparently the original version of the Pastorale Symphony contains some racial stereotypes. Judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPKpFNm3QMM

*they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia*

In the Pastoral Symphony there was a centaur named Sunflower who resembled a young black girl. It was her job to perform tasks for the other young white, blonde centaurs.

Sunflower was removed from the movie in 1969.

When the film was restored in the early part of 2000 to its original roadshow version, Sunflower was again omitted from the film.

The restored version from 2000 is said to be coming to DVD and Blu.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia*

>

> In the Pastoral Symphony there was a centaur named Sunflower who resembled a young black girl. It was her job to perform tasks for the other young white, blonde centaurs.

>

> Sunflower was removed from the movie in 1969.

>

> When the film was restored in the early part of 2000 to its original roadshow version, Sunflower was again omitted from the film.

>

> The restored version from 2000 is said to be coming to DVD and Blu.

Minus Sunflower no doubt

Missing "Sunflower", "Pacos Bills" cigarette missing, FBI agents in "E.T." trade in hand guns for walkie talkies", I sleep better at night knowing there are people out there doing what is good for me and editing all those terrible scenes out of these and other films, that most of us grew up with and we somehow made it through so we can wake up to a more beautiful world..Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!!!

Ditto on the film links of "Song of the South". Very interesting..Thanks

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jan 25, 2010 6:36 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Missing "Sunflower", "Pacos Bills" cigarette missing, FBI agents in "E.T." trade in hand guns for walkie talkies", I sleep better at night knowing there are people out there doing what is good for me and editing all those terrible scenes out of these and other films,

The good old days:

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> In Vietnam they still have the Taco Bell Chihuahua, they claim its better then the one in America

> .

> ?Yo quiero Taco Bell! Vietnamese style. (well one has to eat woof woof)

> dog+meat2.jpg

That brings a literal meaning to "Hot Dog" :-o

This has been bugging me ever since I first heard about it. I am a white Southern female who grew up with "Jim Crow" but never understood it. I saw this movie and the Amos & Andy TV shows in the early fifties and remember them positively. From them, I got that "colored" people were just like us. A & A were happy, sad, loyal, loving and worthwhile folks. Kingfish-the original J. R. Ewing-was a scoundrel who usually got his in the end via his wife or mother-in-law or lodge brothers. The Uncle Remus stories from Song all had morals that were presented in an amusing way that stuck with kids a lot more than Sunday School often did. I never saw any of these characters as anything but other people or nice cartoon characters.

That is the current problem. I am certain were I to see any of these items now I would see where they are offensive to Black Americans as I did when TCM showed Birth of a Nation or heard Butterfly McQueen in GWTW. If we are to really see what racism was and how far it went, we need these as tools to show us that. I don't want to offend anybody but they need to be available.

I think you want this little guy, lol >> :0

I'm still learning myself, its the number 0 not the letter O or o (leave out the -). Computers takes stuff so literally, think it has to do with the ASCII charactor set. I gave you credit on my Smiley thread for leading me to it.

Like your reply.

Supposedly, if I remember right, CNN discussed "Song of the South" being released onto DVD sometime ago and the controversy surrounding it. I think they interviewed some African-American historians who mentioned that the film should come out onto DVD, but with an addendum or an intro prior to the movie discussing that this film was made during a different time period where views were much different than they are now. I could be wrong on this one, but I could have sworn I had seen this discussed.

The films in question should be released onto DVD since there are many who enjoyed watching them over the years and could also serve as a learning tool. However, I think the way in which to regulate the films or to show the films to kids falls back on the parents decision. If the parents have to have a discussion about some of the subject matter to their children, so be it. I had discussions with my parents about different films and what was shown in them and I understood in some sense that the films were made in another era with different mindsets. But, there are some folks that do not take that time out to do it and that's their mistake and ultimately their kids' loss. Ultimately, the main problem is that we have become too politically correct. In becoming too poltically correct some of the stuff that not only I grew up on, but others have grown up on, is not even on anymore in reruns. Even though they just came back onto tv a few weeks ago, Looney Tunes were not on for a while due to some of their subject matter, which I think is ridiculous in the first place.

~Donna

*"You're the detective. Don't ask me for answers."*

*~ Jarvis Goodland (Ray Milland) ~ Columbo: The Greenhouse Jungle*

*"I never discuss business before dinner."*

*~Jean Lafitte (Fredric March) ~ The Buccaneer (1938)*

*"Having some trouble Mr. DA?"*

*~Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews) ~ Ball of Fire (1942)*

*"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."*

*~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)*

*"This is the way I like to do business. Quickly and to the point."*

*~Britt Reid/The Green Hornet (Van Williams) ~ The Green Hornet: Trouble for Prince Charming*

*"What are you smoking, Matthews? Cornsilk?"*

*~Boston **** (Chester Morris) ~ Boston **** and the Law (1946)*

> {quote:title=Fredmill38 wrote:}{quote}

> Supposedly, if I remember right, CNN discussed "Song of the South" being released onto DVD sometime ago and the controversy surrounding it. I think they interviewed some African-American historians who mentioned that the film should come out onto DVD, but with an addendum or an intro prior to the movie discussing that this film was made during a different time period where views were much different than they are now. I could be wrong on this one, but I could have sworn I had seen this discussed.

I suggested that idea on this board 2 or three years ago, and again last year. See this and scroll up:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=8320343?

"What I think Disney should do is film a new introduction to the film, with a famous older black actor sitting down in a nice home-like atmosphere, maybe at Christmas time, telling his grandchildren stories about his childhood. Then he could mention the ?Br?er Rabbit? story and the movie he saw about it when he was a kid a long time ago.

For example, Morgan Freeman would be excellent for this. He could tell his grandkids that back in the very old days, before he was born, his relatives used to be very poor, and there was no television back then, and sometimes his folks would sit around a fireplace at night and entertain their kids by telling them old stories. He could say that the term ?Br?er? Rabbit meant the same as what ?Brother? Rabbit would mean today.

Then he could tell the grandchildren that he had a real treat for them, which is a new DVD of that old movie he saw as a child. Then cut to scenes of happy grandkids getting ready to watch the movie on TV, as Freeman clicks the ?Play? button on his DVD remote control. Slowly zoom in to the TV screen as the opening credits of the movie come on, then lap dissolve to the opening title of ?Song of the South?.

It?ll be a smash hit!"

-----

Here's my 2006 post about the same idea:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7787373

*What I think Disney should do is film a new introduction to the film, with a famous older black actor sitting down in a nice home-like atmosphere, maybe at Christmas time, telling his grandchildren stories about his childhood. Then he could mention the ?Br?er Rabbit? story and the movie he saw about it when he was a kid a long time ago.* - Fred

Interesting idea, Fred. Now, who's gonna do the introduction for *Malibu's Most Wanted* in forty years? :-)

The bottom line isn't should *Song of the South* be released on DVD. Almost every one both here and out in the real world believes it should.

The problem is convincing Disney Studios that it deserves a DVD release.

Disney is afraid of the backlash that *might* happen if they released it. Remember the concerned Asian-Americans who convinced the Fox Movie Channel to pull their salute to Charlie Chan 10 years or more ago? How long did we have to wait for Fox to finally man-up and put the Chans on DVD?

TCM ran many of the Chans, the Mr. Motos, the Fu Manchus and many other politically uncorrect films starring or featuring Asians in 2008 in their third *Race and Hollywood* series without a controversy. Maybe it helped to have a film historian/Asian author introducing the films with Robert O.

I think Disney Studios needs to take a page from TCM and find a way to introduce the film, perhaps in a vein that FredC suggested, and put it out on DVD.

Film has the power to show us how we as a society once were and it has the power to show us how far we've have come in dispelling those old stereotypes and too often racist portrayals.

Keeping films out of the public eye under the aegis that it makes us uncomfortable only serves to whitewash our ideas of the society we once were. And that, ultimately, hinders us all in coming to grips with who we once were, who were now and the type of community/society we want to be going forward.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> This has been bugging me ever since I first heard about it. I am a white Southern female who grew up with "Jim Crow" but never understood it. I saw this movie and the Amos & Andy TV shows in the early fifties and remember them positively. From them, I got that "colored" people were just like us. A & A were happy, sad, loyal, loving and worthwhile folks.

Growing up white, male, in Oklahoma in the 50s, I loved Amos and Andy. They seemed like real people. Ozzie and Harriet, OTOH, seemed totally unreal.

HollywoodGolightly Wrote:

<< At least with E.T., they give you the option of which version to watch. And I may be in the minority here, but I always thought (even back in 1982) that having the guns out with a bunch of kids was a bit too much. >>

Well to show that fact can be stranger then fiction, have you ever saw that episode of "Cops" in where they forcefully served a search warrent on a motel with guns drawn and told everyone inside to come out with hands up. 2 of them were kids, both looked like under the age of 10 had their hands on the top of their heads. Imagine how traumatic *that is?*

The littlest one probually will be having nightmares for a while.

Also not to forget how many houses undergo a drug raid with very small children inside. Does anyone as a child going through something like that would think ET be a bit *tame?*

This thread would make a nice discussion topic for "The Rollye James Show" on the American Voice Radio Network.

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 26, 2010 3:44 AM

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> HollywoodGolightly Wrote:

> << At least with E.T., they give you the option of which version to watch. And I may be in the minority here, but I always thought (even back in 1982) that having the guns out with a bunch of kids was a bit too much. >>

>

> Well to show that fact can be stranger then fiction, have you ever saw that episode of "Cops" in where they forcefully served a search warrent on a motel with guns drawn and told everyone inside to come out with hands up. 2 of them were kids, both looked like under the age of 10 had their hands on the top of their heads. Imagine how traumatic *that is?*

Um, no. I have not.

But I do remember the Elian Gonzalez episode, so I don't think it's outside the realm of the possible _in real life_.

That's precisely why I wouldn't really expect to see cops with guns drawn when facing a bunch of kids in a fantasy. ;)

well thanks for that information---that's terribly interesting. so Sunflower wouldn't be on the old VHS then? because now I'm interested.

to bring up a recent movie, this is why I appreciated Master and Commander so much---all the guys were white, and the servants were black, and that's how it was back then. yes it's embarrassing to think of the horrible things our ancestors used to do, but I wonder if our descendants will be embarrassed at all our censorship...