Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ATNelson

War films made during WWII - Which are Classics? Which are dated?

I'm interested in hearing about people's opinions on War movies created during WWII itself for my blog:

http://hollywoodatwar.blogspot.com

It was a fascinating time for Hollywood, suspended as it was between commerce and patriotism. Which films of that era remain classics? "Wake Island"? "Guadalcanal Diary" Which ones seem dated or packed too full of propaganda to be enjoyable today? Were there any shorts still worth watching? Curious to hear from members.

Thanks.

AT

I've watched a great many films made during the war, shortly afterward, and some made 20 - 30 years after the fact. One thing concerns me. And that is our childrens children will watch it and ask "Did people really act like that?". I, for one, do *not* want to compared to John Wayne (The Fighting Seebees). The duke may have been an ok actor, but some of his war time films are, to put it lightly, a joke. In all my years I have yet to meet * anyone* who acts like that.

Sorry if I've trod on any toes. I also wanted to contribute to the blog, but I can't figure out how.

Message was edited by: Austin3

Then you might want to either build a Time Machine to take you back to the time period when these movies were made so that you can confirm how people "acted". Or, you might want to do what normal parents do... tell their kids to keep in mind that people "acted" and talked the way they did during their time period... just as we "act" and talk the way we do during our time period. Movies are a reflection of the culture at the time as well as their perspective of what the past was like... which is why movies about Roman time periods reflect the logic and reason of the people of the time period the movies were filmed and not a reflection of the Romans during their actual lives. Movies should be viewed with a mature mind that takes into account the fact that they are not only movies they are also a window into the way things were at the moment in time the movies were made.

--

I've watched a great many films made during the war, shortly afterward, and some made 20 - 30 years after the fact. One thing concerns me. And that is our childrens children will watch it and ask "Did people really act like that?". I, for one, do not want to compared to John Wayne (The Fighting Seebees). The duke may have been an ok actor, but some of his war time films are, to put it lightly, a joke. In all my years I have yet to meet * anyone* who acts like that.

I hate the term "dated" when describing any Classic Movie! They are dated in comparison to what? Modern Movies with 500 computer generated soldiers running around??? Who cares???