Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heinz 57...

CineMaven

This is a meaningless display of solidarity, but I think everyone already knows where I stand. AYE to everything, from the ridiculously large state of Texas.

And while we're at it, how about each of us watch our behavior so as not to be removed ourselves. Please, I don't want any more good folks to disappear.

As for ydobon, he's busy trying to remove himself from the membership. A difficult task...but I'm pretty sure he would vote AYE too.

And I know of more than one banned member returning.

Message was edited by: patful, no reason

Hey, Patful -- This is a meaningless display of solidarity,

I agree. Everything around here seems to be meaningless. It's what I've come to expect.

I'm basically curious as to what others feel about banned members returning under a new

name(S). It's something that has been bothering me for months.

but I think everyone already knows where I stand. AYE to everything, from the

ridiculously large state of Texas.

Thank you (and erzbet) for your vote.

And while we're at it, how about each of us watch our behavior so as not to be

removed ourselves. Please, I don't want any more good folks to disappear.

The Mods will judge me (and others) how they wish to. If they deem me (and others) to

be unworthy of this wonderful board, then that's my (their) fate.

As for ydobon, he's busy trying to remove himself from the membership. A difficult

task...but I'm pretty sure he would vote AYE too.

At least you still have your sense of a humor. Is that the only sense you have left? :P

YEA on banned members remaining banned:

Bronxgirl48 (FL)

CineMaven (NY)

erzbet

filmlover (CA)

FrankGrimes (PA)

fxreyman (CO)

JackFavell (CT)

JakeHolman (TX)

johnm001 (PA)

lzcutter (CA)

MissGoddess (NY)

molo14 (VA)

mongo (FL)

patful (TX)

rohanaka (MO)

NAY on banned members remaining banned:

Awaiting our first cast vote.

I don't know the answer to that. Maybe I just don't have an answer yet.

I think it was you (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) that once said in some movie-related discussion that you didn't believe in seeing things in black-and-white terms, that you frequently saw shades of gray. Well, to me the question that you pose is not something that is black-and-white, I see many shades that I don't believe you have even considered.

And I think you make a mockery of real democracy when you start something with even the vaguest pretense that an online forum is run as a democracy. Because as Lynn pointed out not too long ago, sometimes some of these public expressions of discontent can turn into something more closely resembling a lynch mob:

*I was here a few years ago when a group of posters riled themselves into a pack and went after a long-time poster here simply because they did not like his posting attitude.*

*By the time the thread finally died out, it resembled the climax and finale of Ox-Bow Incident. It was amazing to watch at its fevered pitch as poster after poster went after a fellow member of the community and called him every name in the book and accused of him being everything but a serial killer and then patted themselves on the back for doing so.*

*There were a handful of us who stood up in his defense but like Henry Fonda, we were quickly shouted down.*

*I hope to never see such a wretched incident like that here again on these boards.*

*That incident stands as a stark reminder to me how quickly a thread can get out of control, spread like wildfire and consume common sense when a particular poster is targeted.*

Mind you, I may not always agree with Lynn on everything, but I do agree with what she said there.

Over the years here, TCMWebAdmin has posted when certain posters, such as Cinemascope and others, whose behavior was deemed *by TCMWeb* to be destructive to the community, were banned.

Some of those posters understood what that meant and have never returned.

Others have not.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I respect your decision to abstain from voting at this time. Thank you for taking part.

And I would very much hope that you paid real tribute to the democratic traditions of this great country of ours, where even criminal suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty, and where even the people convicted of something have a chance to appeal and overturn a conviction if it is brought to the attention of the authorities that they have been convicted based on false testimony or if people testifying against them lied to the authorities, misrepresented or exaggerated the facts, or otherwise engaged in the obstruction of justice by spreading idle gossip or by making incorrect assumptions about innocent people.

There may have been periods in our country's history when mob justice and kangaroo courts were the order of the day. Where even the legitimate authority turned a blind eye in the face of public lynchings conducted by people who didn't care if they were hanging innocent individuals.

That sort of stuff couldn't happen today... I think.

In general, a nay to banning, except under the circumstances Lynn referred to below. If folks cannot act like respectful adults, then by all means, ban 'em.

So in other words, I am, as usual, having a hard time making up my mind.

Yes, CM, the Donny Osmond fan has actually taken me to task on the message board and in private messages. No matter how many times they change their name, I try really hard to ignore them. Well, I read what they write but it never changes. That person is incorrect in the head. But I finally learned that their threads die soon enough. She/he keeps coming back with different names, but I refrain. It's not easy, though. There are others I try to avoid as well but I won't mention their names. They leave me alone and I leave them alone (for the most part.)

Lynn,

Sorry, but the only post from TCMWebAdmin in that regard that I could find in the old threads was the one where he/she said, in response to a post by Dewey1960, "The boards are not the proper venue for expressing your grievances".

I believe TCMWebAdmin also requested at that time (April 2007) that people express their concerns via PMs.

If I were banned justly, I would respect the decision. If I were banned in an unjust fashion, my pride and self-rightousness would prevent my return to a place that I felt had treated me so shabbily.

Message was edited by: patful, for italics

*Where even the legitimate authority turned a blind eye in the face of public lynchings conducted by people who didn't care if they were hanging innocent individuals.*

As one who was here in 2006 and 2007 when this community was battered almost beyond recognition by nefarious posters who tried to destroy it, I can assure everyone that those individuals who were banned back then were judged by their own behavior by TCMWeb.

There was no public lynching in that regard. My post in an earlier thread was not an illusion to any of that and should not be misconstrued as such.

The incident that I spoke about in that earlier thread is back in the message archives for anyone that wants to dig it out. Be advised, that you'll likely be surprised when you discover who the poster was that got dragged into the middle of town. It's not who you think and for the record, he still posts here on a regular basis.

Well, patful, I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but I totally respect what you are saying.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> The incident that I spoke about in that earlier thread is back in the message archives for anyone that wants to dig it out. Be advised, that you'll likely be surprised when you discover who the poster was that got dragged into the middle of town. It's not who you think and for the record, he still posts here on a regular basis.

I'd actually like to learn more about that particular incident, although without a bit more detail, I probably would never be able to find it in the archives. Would you be able to provide some details, either in this thread or via PM?

Message was edited by: ipso_facto

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> If I were banned justly, I would respect the decision. If I were banned in an unjust fashion, my pride and self-rightousness would prevent my return to a place that I felt had treated me so shabbily.

>

THANK YOU!

Hey, Ipso Facto -- Ohh, certainly. I'm all for the innocent being innocent and

the guilty being guilty.

I'm just curious to know if others feel banned members should remained banned or if

they should be allowed to return using a new name(S). That's all.

Well, Frank, then maybe we do agree on something.

Of course, I would like to think that you'd also not be the kind to jump to any conclusions and consider any person "guilty" if you've never even heard both sides of the story. I'm sure you wouldn't think it's a black-and-white thing, either.

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> > *FINAL THOUGHTS BEFORE THIS GETS LOCKED OR DISAPPEARS*

> >

> > *1. WebAdmin - please read this thread and the two others thoroughly and carefully.*

> >

> > *2. A total of 19 real posters have indicated on these 3 threads that they find this situation intolerable.*

> >

> > *3. Those posters, for the most part, have many years and many posts behind them. All are valuable contributors to this Board.*

> >

> > *4. I'd almost guarantee that any one of us could be available for more information if you would ask.*

> >

> > *5. PLEASE HELP CORRECT THIS SITUATION. YOU AND ONLY YOU HAVE THE POWER.*

> >

> > *6. We are at your mercy and service. Tell us what we need to do. Please give us some feedback.*

> >

> >

> > With the utmost respect and concern for this Board, cinemafan

>

> *PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE ORIGINAL REQUEST. ONE ACCOUNT PER USER. THANKS.*

Frank, I would vote *yes* from an undisclosed location. However, let's all keep in mind that I am still waiting for some help from WebAdmin. Just before I logged on, I noticed there was an "Admin" logged on. That means someone must be observing. *ADMIN - PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH US.*

However, let's all keep in mind that I am still waiting for some help from WebAdmin. Just

before I logged on, I noticed there was an "Admin" logged on. That means someone must

be observing. ADMIN - PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH US.

Sure thing, Cinemafan. I have no concrete proof that banned members have returned to this

board to continue with their wrongdoing. Only the TCMWebAdmin would know this. My

question is merely that of policy and I was curious to know what others on this board felt.

I wonder if TCMWebAdmin believes a banned member should be permitted to return to the

board using a new name(S) or not. I have no idea.

Frank, It is frustrating to have all this input, PMs as requested to voice our concerns, and then to hear *NOTHING*. If anyone can give me any hope, let me know.

To put this in movie terms -(this could be another thread)

*I am mad as hell* and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Also, I feel like we are being *Gaslighted* right and left.

*And pay no attention to that troll behind the curtain* .

cinemafan, actually, pay _a lot of attention_ to that troll behind the curtain. Or maybe I should say behind that screen.

After all these years of the troll getting away with so much and things now geting worse, I believe in this quote from Death of a Salesman: "Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person."

First of all, let me be perfectly clear about one thing before I get started......

This is NOT an attack against you.

My comments are meant to clear the air so to speak. Maybe to clear my thoughts.....

I think Frank's question in the form of a vote is quite appealing. There is nothing written in stone that says he can't ask people for a vote. Heck, we do this all the time here on these boards, especially when we are talking about lists and favorite films.

But you know what gets me after reading all of your posts on this subject?

That you have NO opinion about the question that Frank has asked posters here to respond to.

*Well, Frank, frankly (no pun intended), I suppose the best way to answer the question would be to say "I don't know if I know all the facts".*

Because really, after reading all that you have written, one could easily surmise that you do know all of the facts. You certainly have well defined positions and you also seem to know the Code of Conduct very well. You also seem to have a clear understanding of the past history of these message boards. Even though in some of your posts you seem to act quite innocently about knowing anything.

Now, I have debated in my mind the next few sentences, about whether or not I should write what I am about to write. Because, quite frankly, what I am about to write might get this message thread locked up. But you know what, I don't care. Maybe this is what it will take to get the attention of the web administrator.

If you are who I think you are, then you have NO business being on these boards.

And as some have said before, you seem to act like some posters from the past who "troll" these message boards looking for other posters to align with your viewpoints. And when you do not get what you want, you clearly try to start up trouble by bringing up stuff from the other person's past.

What good does this do? It just gets posters angry and mostly fed up, so much so that they leave the message boards because they don't want any part of what you and the other "trolls" are doing. You are clearly a person who craves attention.

I hate to tell you this, but your methods are very stale and very worn out. Because guess what?

We have all been down this road before.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

edited by: Fxreyman

These questions are still on the table for my fellow TCM board members to weigh in on:

* Should banned members of this board remained banned from this board, thus not allowing them to return under a "new" name(s)?

* "one screen name per human being" policy.

(Hi there Mr. Double Six). As the polling booths stay open all nite so we may hear from old timers and newbies alike, let?s have a musical moment.

A few years ago, my friend and I went to the art deco palace that is Radio City Music Hall here in NYC. We went to see k.d. lang perform. Not an empty seat was to be had. She rocked the house with her music. She has a voice as clear and clean as Spring water. She slowed down the pace at one point in the evening, with a bittersweet song that really almost made me swoon. Now I tell ya, I?ve never had that feeling before and I?ve seen many performers in my time. The temperature in that room literally raised and I felt light-headed.

I don?t want to YouTube it but if someone else wants to, be my guest.

Her song is on the ?Ingenue? album and it?s called:

?OUTSIDE MYSELF?

k.d. lang?s voice is beautiful and the melody wonderful. Here?s a bit. Get the CD:

Laughing eyes

covers my soul

my body?s frozen

and my heart is cold

and still...

so much about me is raw

I search for a place to unthaw.

Something in me

which love interferes

It veils my vision

leaves my thoughts unclear;

My eyes...

from blue turn to gray

hoping to mask what they say.

I?ve been outside myself

for so long.

Any feelings I have is

Close to gone

I?ve been outside myself

for so long,

so long.?

Everyone, I hope you enjoyed the brief respite. Find her CD. The polls are still open. Please weigh in.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to vote and voice their opinions on the issue

of banned members being allowed to return to this board or not. It's good to see members

who care about this board peacefully voice their concerns. I remain impressed by how

the great majority of this board looks to solve problems with a peaceful, thoughtful manner.

After having a discussion with a member of the board tonight, I have decided to place my

trust in them. I have chosen to believe they will be true to their word and for that, I wish

to offer a hand of help to them. I've never been one to bury people just to bury

them. We all have to take our chances and I'm willing to take this chance.

I cannot tell anyone on this board how to act and behave. That's not my place. But if I

may, I'd like to ask those on the board to show some restraint. I know there are some on

this board who have been deeply upset over a certain problem on this board and maybe

they will never be able to forgive what has happened to them. That's understandable.

I have decided to give it a shot. May it work out well for all.

Scott