Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BEST MOVIES SO-FAR OF THE DECADE-(cast your votes)?

Thought it fitting to post this one in a kinda' companion pc to the other post by another TCM-ITE on "The Worst of this Decade?" (2000-2009) I know we have this yr left & so-far as I've told ever so many that agree-(on other sites,etc fellow moviegoers & even a few critics) To date, this year has easily been thee WORST in as long as I've been going to (36-60) new theatrical releases, starting in 1982-(EXAMPLE OF SORTS>that movie year I personally gave 8 flix 4 stars! Ranging from>"E.T."/ "Tootsie"/ "The Verdict"/ "Das Boot"/ "Sophie's Choice"/ "Diner"/ "World According to Garp" & "Richard Pryor: Live on Sunset Strip" not to mention, films that many would say are also great>"Blade Runner"/ "Road Warrior",etc & of course the 8 time OSCAR sweeping>*"Gandhi" (strong ***1/2) By the way I did lousy my debut yr that yr oddsmaking OSCAR. Too green I reckon' Each yr there seems to be less and less great releases though. So please chime-in as many did on the negative side of this decade's releases-(I did there as well) Remember it's all of course subjective

My own candidates to date> "Gangs of New York" (2002)/ *"Million Dollar Baby" (04)/ (tie): "Cinderella Man" & "King Kong" (2005)/ "United: 93"-(NOTE: Stephen King in "EW" rates this to be on your dvd shelf with likes of>*"Godfather" & "Kane") "KB2" (2004)/ "Letters Home from Iwo Jima" (06)-(P.S. Can you believe at almost 80 *Eastwood has a bio coming up of N. Mandela AMAZING FILMMAKER!/ *"Gladiator" (2000)-("USA Today" conducted a poll of readers on all-time fav. BP winners & this was runner-up only to *"Godfather") & "Seabiscuit" (2003) Please throw in your own & as usual I thank you

Message was edited by: myidolspencer

O COME ON SPORTS FANS, thought for sure someone would throw his or her hand in here Especially given the fact that the forementioned "Worst of the Decade" did well with votes,etc???

Please give it a shot & as usual "My Mother Thanks You, My Father Thanks You, My Sister Thanks You & I Thank You"

the decade is quite broken up for me, so it's hard to thnk of them all, but to me they're all MIYAZAKI and PIXAR movies---every one of them. And the LOTR films. But I'd have to think about the rest. I also think OCEAN'S 11 is pretty good

I haven't seen nearly enough films to cobble together a thoughtful enough list, but here are

my favorite films from the decade:

10. Memento

9. Requiem for a Dream

8. 3:10 to Yuma

7. Batman Begins

6. There Will Be Blood

5. Brick

4. Burn After Reading

3. Punch-Drunk Love

2. Donnie Darko

1. No Country for Old Men

I don't see all that many new movies. A lot of what I have seen has been disappointing. But I liked MILK a lot. Mike Leigh's ALL OR NOTHING. A MIGHTY WIND. Was AMERICAN BEAUTY within this time frame? To be honest, the first Spider-man is better than most of its contemporaries. Visual storytelling that effectively captures the comic book atmosphere. Woody Allen made some thought provoking dramas. But neurotic humor remains his forte', and ANYTHING ELSE is a lot of fun.

I've probably forgotten some good ones. These are the ones that come to mind.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> One movie I loved that no one else remembers is RESCUE DAWN with Christian Bale and Steve Zahn. It's a POW film about Vietnam------man, those WWII POWs had it EASY compared to them!

I think that's certainly a great war movie, and I really admire Werner Herzog as a director all the more because of it. I don't think it did very well in the U.S., and it's a shame because I think it really deserved to find a wider audience. And of course it does show Christian Bale's remarkable range as an actor.

I keep a Top Ten List of every year, but compiling one for the decade so far is tougher. I'll wait on 2008 releases to give them more time to digest and revisit, but the top 3 from last year at this time are *Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire and WALL-E*. For the previous 8 years here's my Top 10 in reverse order:

*10. Lord of the Rings Trilogy* (if only one has to be picked, it would be the first one)

*09. The Hours*

*08. Sideways*

*07. You Can Count on Me*

*06. In America*

*05. There Will be Blood*

*04. Mystic River*

*03. Mulholland Drive*

*02. No Country for Old Men*

*01. Memento*

Comments: These lists are pretty arbitrary and can be misleading. I don't have any film by Martin Scorsese, yet three of his this past decade made my top 3 (*The Departed, The Aviator and Gangs of New York*). Other directors with multiple top tens in my estimation:

Paul Thomas Anderson: *There Will be Blood and Punch Drunk Love*

Joel and Ethan Coen: *No Country for Old Men and O' Brother Where Art Thou?*

David Cronenberg: *Eastern Promises and A History of Violence*

Clint Eastwood: *Mystic River, Letters from Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby*

Todd Field: *Little Children and In the Bedroom*

Paul Greengrass: *United 93, Bloody Sunday and The Bourne Ultimatum*

Ron Howard: *A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man*

Jean-Paul Jeunet: *Amelie and A Very Long Engagement*

Ang Lee: Crouching *Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain*

Christopher Nolan: *Memento and Batman Begins*

Steven Spielberg: *Minority Report and Munich*

10. Mulholland Drive

9. The Eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind

8. Requiem for a Dream

7. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

6. AI

5. The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring

4. A very Long Engagement

3. Russian Ark

2. Spirited Away

1. The Pianist

also There will be Blood

KING KONG

THE GREEN MILE

THE AVIATOR

MUNICH

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

ROAD TO PERDITION

COLD MOUNTAIN

VERA DRAKE

IN THE BEDROOM

A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION

Message was edited by: mongo

First of all, A BIG THANX TO ALL FOR CASTING OWN VOTES! Trust me, you'll of course be seeing tons of such compilation's very soon-(AFI, BFI, "EW" most movie related websites & so-on) On the AFI note I was really disgusted in 2000 when I was informed that due to them concentrating on what was then only the #3rd of the far too-many "100 years specials"-(I love the first two though) But, due to the American Film Institute doing "100yrs...100 Laughs" which aired June of 2000 & 1959's "Some Like It Hot' was voted #1 comedy. They said they couldn't also have a 2nd decade poll of the ten best of the 1990's? They did one for the 1980's though. It was almost a landslide for 1980's "Raging Bull" in the latter AFI poll of course & I suspect 1993's *"Schindler's List" woulda' easily topped the list had they also done 1 for that decade. To the person though that cited 1999's brilliantly executed>*"A. Beauty" it was still a 1990's release. & to the 1 that included *Disney/Pixar stuff ****-stars! My own fav. so-far being 2003's "Finding Nemo" "Up' is the studio's #10th. due the end of May.

I'm glad others like Miyazaki and Pixar. If I must make a list, here it is

1. WALL-E

2. Howl's Moving Castle

3. The Incredibles

4. Ratatouille

5. Spirited Away

6. Finding Nemo

now I'll let in Live Actions

7. Rescue Dawn

8. March of the Penguins

9. Dark Knight (the first fantastic comic book movie)

10. Ocean's 11

And now I can't remember what pixars/miyazakis came out during the 2000s.....

I can 't wait to see "Up"-----I think I'm seeing it at the El Capitan.

Rewatching the magnificent *"Schindler's List" (l993) the other night only reminded me that if AFI had conducted another such poll, it woulda' easily topped the "list" Matter of fact, they also voted it the #8th all-time greatest motion picture in it's revised "100yrs...100 Movies" (2007 survey) I sound stuffy, but looking at each decade there are less and less heavyweights. Then of course we also had *Spielberg's WW11 companion pc. "Saving Private Ryan" from '98. In what's justifiably known as 1 of OSCARS biggest rippoffs, losing BP to *"Shakespeare in Love" So many annual OSCAR watchers lost faith after that travesty. As for the 1980's, I knew it would finally get it's due with time-(as *George Steven's said of his own "A Place in the Sun" "We'll know how good this picture really is in 20 years" unquote) & 1980's "Raging Bull" literally topped every single list as A #1 of that decade! Last yr. & *Disney/Pixar's "W.a.l.l-E" had most arguing it also deserved a lot more AMPAS attention. It's #10th release "Up" opens the end of May by the way.