Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

The Sexiest!

Guest o, rita

I know y'all will say he's a wannabe star and belongs in the wannabe's Hall of Fame. But, he was the perfect Latin Lover. I thought he was sexy and very good lookiong. The mahvelous Fernando Lamas. Not a great actor, but the roles that required him to be a lover he was very good. He was probably just being himself. He looked at a beautiful woman and you could see the lust in the smouldering look.

Guest Alix

I notice you didn't mention Fox studio. Did they not have any musical stars? I'm also a big fan of the 1930's movies, though I prefer a good, racy pre-Code. Did Ruby Keeler ever do a non-musical movie? I was at the library tonight, and I looked for any of Nelson Eddy's movies, but I didn't see any. I was gonna give him a second chance....

Guest Alix

YES, YES! Gary Cooper absolutely belongs on the "varsity" list. Tall, muscular, sexy eyes...definite eye candy!

Guest Alix

David Manners--add him too! Oh that blonde, gorgeous hunk of a man--too delicious for words!

Guest pert, ud

Good show, Alix! Maybe I'll even give JMB another chance (I'm curious to try his last film, "Apache Uprising," since it also features one of Jean Parker's last performances). You're right, I didn't mention Fox specifically, though Sonja Henie was a Fox star. Fox had plenty of musical greats, including sultry-voiced Alice Faye, beautiful Betty Grable and, of course, Shirley Temple. Gaynor and Farrell were, for that matter, a Fox team. Yes, Ruby made a non-musical, "Mother's Carey's Chickens," for RKO. It's sweet and simple. I know you're into pre-codes; I'm guessing that's why "Dames" placed fourth on your list of Busby Berkeleys. A lot changed in one year, didn't it? The Warners must have felt an identity crisis. (Of course, they couldn't stifle Berkeley's imagery--note the "hands-on" movements of the chorus girls in the "Try To See It My Way" scene toward the end of "Dames.") My, our conversation thread is beginning to look like the "Mouse's Tale" from "Alice In Wonderland." We'd better start fresh next time. See you soon!

Guest o, rita

I didn't know that Ruby starred in Mother Carey's Chickens. Wasn't that the movie Katherine Hepburn was scheduled to appear in after she made it onto the "famous ten most poison at the box office list"? Whereupon, she bought out her contract rather then make that movie. Was the studio trying to get rid of Ruby too.

Guest son, jery

Yes, Rita, Fernando was a real ****! I always loved his movies. Sexy, macho, gorgeous! I'm sure you've probably read Esther William's tell-all book about her marriage to Fernando. He loved to "display" himself, so everyone could see he was, indeed, no wannabee.

Guest son, jery

Mmmmmm, good! Olmsted, you chose yet another super ****. No wonder Cooper was so wildly pursued by both men and women in those early years. He lived with a good male friend from college for several years when first going to Hollywood. In those days, I'm glad they didn't have a label that said "gay." It may have been purely platonic. But just imagine having that groovy, gorgeous Cooper as your roomie, though! Ohhh-lala!

Guest son, jery

Yes, yes, we should display our good manners by naming the gorgeous David Manners as one of our hot-to-trot cutie-pies! Ohhh, whenever I see him in "The Black Cat", I swoon.

Guest pert, ud

Possibly. It was the only film she ever made there. (Not really a bad movie, though.)

Guest mongo

Lets depart from the beefcake for at least a minute and concentrate on some of the gorgeous pin-ups that had soldiers and movie goers drooling during WWII. First and foremost Betty Grable whose picture flew on the B52 bombers along with Rita Hayworth and Carole Landis. Glossy lips, great shapely legs, fantastic faces, a wiggle in their walk...oh my. They didn't take it all off except for perhaps a little cleveage and kept us interested and guessing which turned us on. Those were the gals and those were the days.

Guest Alix

DAMES--Ud pert, you're right probably, that DAMES places 4th in my all time favorite list because it really doesn't qualify as a pre-Code. I think the things Bus. Berkley was able to "get away with" during the pre-Code years made the movies he did so interesting! Of course, "getting it past the censors" was half the fun of a pre-Code. I enjoy seeing something risque or questionable zing by, and thinking, "Hmmm....what did they say?" FOOTLIGHT PARADE was notable for it's zingy one liners. One of my all time favorites--musical or drama!

Guest Alix

I'm wondering...did the WAVS and WACS have pinups of Clark Gable and Gary Cooper (Nelson Eddy?) in their barracks? You never really hear about "Pin up Guys," but I bet the gals had their dream guys to drool over.

Guest son, jery

If I were a World War II WAC/Wave, I would definitely put up these hunks as my pin-up boys: Jon Hall of "Hurricane" and later the Maria Montez extravaganzas; the gorgeous Tom Neal, Richard Denning, Buster Crabbe, Clark Gable, Roy Rogers (just look at this guy in his early days), John Garfield, Guy Madison (yum, yum), and probably the prettiest/handsome of them all, Robert Stack! I fell in love with this guy after seeing in the Deanna Durbin musical, "Nice Girl?"

Guest o, rita

Jery, I agree with you about Guy Madison. Wasn't he handsome and he was another one with a manly physique. Yes, Jon Hall was, oh so handsome where he was young. Do you remember him from the 50's TV series, Ramar of the Jungle? Oh yeah, Guy Madison had a TV series, too. I'm not certain, but wasn't he "Wild Bill HIckock? I have to give my pin-up list some thought. I'll be back to post my selection.

Guest pert, ud

Yes, when I first saw "Dames" after having seen "Footlight," I wondered what had happened to the style of the series. I still like it, though. I love the "I Only Have Eyes For You" scene, for obvious reasons. And Guy Kibbee's take when he sees Joan Blondell sitting in his bed is really funny. You know, there is some challenging fun in seeing what was gotten away with in the post-code era, also. Occasionally a film with some innuendo got through. Josef Von Sternberg did some Dietrich movies ("Scarlett Empress") that were sophisticated, Mae West made the milder but still somewhat saucy "Belle Of The Nineties," and Cagney was still being his impertinent self in "Jimmy The Gent." And you really must prize Preston Sturges for coming along and lighting things up again with "Miracle At Morgan's Creek," "The Lady Eve," etc. As for pin-up boys, I doubt that Nelson and Gary were up in the barracks--I think it's more likely to have been Sinatra and Crosby.

Guest pert, ud

Just wondering, Jery, did you ever see Tom Neal Jr. in a nineties remake of "Detour"? I don't know if you ever commented on that. I've never seen it; someone told me it was made, though.

Guest K, Sandy

A friend of mine actually met Robert Stack back in the late 60's. He was a busboy at a resort where Stack was staying. He said that Stack was incredibly handsome-the movies didn't do justice to his beautiful face and physique. And he said that Stack was very gracious and sweet as well. Let's hear it for Robert Stack!

Guest o, rita

Sandy, it's so good to hear that a "star" is gracious and kind to a fan and/or one of a "lesser mortals". I remember when Robert Stack did the Untouchables and I always thougt he was so wooden, but I liked him.

Guest son, jery

ud pert, i made a point of not seeing the remake of "Detour", just as I refused to see the remake of "Psycho." Both are perfect as they are and they are completley of their own time period. I couldn't imagine Tom Neal's son having his father's macho personae and talent for getting into trouble. In fact, he makes me think of Robert Blake. O'Neal at least was convicted of shooting dead his wife. The jury's still out on Blake but it looks pretty obvious.

Guest mongo

Stack was outstanding in the film "Written on the Wind" and was Oscar nominated. He is an actor that was admired by both men and women ala Clark Gable. Oh...I saw Ava Gardner in a few films lately and she was a sight to behold. A gorgeous woman and that smoky voice drove me wild. It's no wonder that Sinatra went ga-ga and left his family for her. I read that he supported her till the day she died. I guess a woman like that would do such things to a guy. Apparently one touch of Venus is all it took.

Guest son, jery

John Gilbert is my new hearthrob! After seeing his sensual, beautiful face, those broad shoulders in "The Merry Widow" I'm beginning to see what all the shouting was about in the Roaring Twenties.He just oozed sex appeal. Would love to have seen him with Clara Bow! Wooo, talk about burning up the screen!

Guest o, rita

Jery, wasn't he wonderful in that movie. He looked so drop dead gorgeious. Those broad shoulders and he was slender and tall. He oozed screen presence. Now, try to compare Tom Cruise to Gilbert...it's no contest, Brad Pitt or any of the other "leading men". Today's actors are so overrated to me. I just don't get it!

Guest Alix

I love him too...and I don't care what anyone says about his voice--it was just fine! He was one of the silver screen's most handsome men, and it's a shame that he didn't weather the transition better.