Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mary Carlisle 1914-2018


Swithin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mary Carlisle, one of the few remaining pre-code/1930s actresses, has died at the age of 104.

"Mary Carlisle, an angel-faced blond actress who often played spunky but innocent ingénues in scores of Depression-era films, died on Wednesday in the Woodland Hills section of Los Angeles. She was 104." -- The New York Times

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/07/mary-carlisle-obituary

 

04CARLISLE1-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&au

Mary Carlisle with Bing Crosby in Double or Nothing (1937)

 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137638/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mary Carlisle was in a movie tcm ran a week or so ago at six in the morning, dead men walk with George Zucco in a dual role as her father and dead satanist vampire uncle.

also recently shown was The Steel Lady as a tribute to the passing of tab hunter. it was produced by Grant Whytock, Mary Carlisle's actual uncle.

:D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

Mary Carlisle was in a movie tcm ran a week or so ago at six in the morning, dead men walk with George Zucco in a dual role as her father and dead satanist vampire uncle.

also recently shown was The Steel Lady as a tribute to the passing of tab hunter. it was produced by Grant Whytock, Mary Carlisle's actual uncle.

:D

So she had two sorts of uncles: a dead satanist vampire uncle; and a producer uncle.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the second thread on Miss Carlisle. The first was initiated on Aug 1. I'm not complaining, though. A double tribute for Mary, good for her. I posted on the first one and when I didn't see it here I thought it had been removed, ha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, laffite said:

This is the second thread on Miss Carlisle. The first was initiated on Aug 1. I'm not complaining, though. A double tribute for Mary, good for her. I posted on the first one and when I didn't see it here I thought it had been removed, ha.

Yes -- Lawrence informed me that my thread was de trop. I was in the UK for a while and couldn't access the TCM site, so missed the first one. But they shall both pass; and perhaps at 104 she deserves two threads! (At least she wasn't relegated to that catch-all obit thread, which I eschew and won't look in. It's disrespectful.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edit: That was rude of me, so I'll retract my comment.

I'll take your word that my obit posts have been disrespectful, and I will not post any further ones in the future. Deepest apologies to all of the friends and loved ones of the people I have previously disrespected in that thread. It's not my thread, or I would ask the moderator to delete it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Yes -- Lawrence informed me that my thread was de trop. I was in the UK for a while and couldn't access the TCM site, so missed the first one. But they shall both pass; and perhaps at 104 she deserves two threads! (At least she wasn't relegated to that catch-all obit thread, which I eschew and won't look in. It's disrespectful.)

Swithin, stop going to England all the time. You're missing too much.

:lol:

;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Edit: That was rude of me, so I'll retract my comment.

I'll take your word that my obit posts have been disrespectful, and I will not post any further ones in the future. Deepest apologies to all of the friends and loved ones of the people I have previously disrespected in that thread. It's not my thread, or I would ask the moderator to delete it.

I don't see anything disrespectful about the "Death Takes No Holiday" thread. I often read it. To be honest, it also remains on the front page of the forum for obvious reasons, which makes it easier to read for archive purposes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Edit: That was rude of me, so I'll retract my comment.

I'll take your word that my obit posts have been disrespectful, and I will not post any further ones in the future. Deepest apologies to all of the friends and loved ones of the people I have previously disrespected in that thread. It's not my thread, or I would ask the moderator to delete it.

I generally don't go in there, so didn't realize I was dissing you (and others). My apologies. Obviously it's good to note the passing of our beloved actors and film people, in ways that make sense to each of us; I just think each one deserves his/her own special thread. I probably sometimes do create threads for people who have been mentioned in that other thread, because I don't go there; my Mary Carlisle thread was just a mistake, due to my inability to get into the TCM site in London this trip.

Btw, I assume the part of your thread that was rude was the word in asterisks. It gives me a frisson to think I warrant asterisks!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Btw, I assume the part of your thread that was rude was the word in asterisks. It gives me a frisson to think I warrant asterisks!

There was no word...just asterisks. I like to leave things to the imagination. But you made your point, and like I said, I won't post in that other thread any more. I'll leave it to others, if they feel the impulse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Btw, I assume the part of your thread that was rude was the word in asterisks. It gives me a frisson to think I warrant asterisks!

Good word, "frisson" with regard to being a ****. Too vague and perhaps something to horrid to be noted. I prefer being denounced a little more specifically than that. Otherwise how can I improve myself. :lol:

And Lawrence, I like your new avatar. But that doesn't mean you can mumble. And while I'm here when are you going to have an avatar of the fair sex. They're good people, you know. Most of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...