Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miscegenation in the movies

I'd started this thread originally to ask a question about *South Pacific*, but I found the answer on imdb.com after having posted.

However watching that movie led me to wonder how many movies were made prior to *Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?* that explored the theme of miscegenation, besides *South Pacific* or *The Searchers*.

There is also *West Side Story*, of course, although it seems in that movie the main obstacle for Tony and Maria getting together isn't a racial one, just the gang war betwen the Sharks and the Jets.

Two quick ones for me...

Band of Angels (1957) with Clark Gable and Yvonne De Carlo with De Carlo playing a mulatto who Gable buys and falls in love with.

Setting: old New Orleans, post Civil War, where there are still many creole and mulatto women living there and always will be...

New Orleans is a melting pot way down Dixie way...

The other one is Sayonara (1957) where Marlon Brando falls in love with a Japanese woman he marries.

• 2 weeks later...