Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New version of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) was on TCM!

Back in March I saw the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers on the March schedule and decided to record it and thought it was pretty good looking for a movie that had a pretty bad DVD release. So recently I got my hands on the DVD from my library for a comparison and to my suprise the version that was on TCM seemed to be remastered since it had none of the dirt and scratches the DVD had and the DVD had a weird green tenge to its black and white colors compared to the TCM version plus the contrast was much improved along with the blacks which seemed deeper than on the DVD. At the end of the movie a Paramount logo popped up and since Paramount had nothing to do with the DVD release I thought they must of remastered it slightly which makes the film look a lot better than it used to but I could not check the sharpness since recording from TV does not provide DVD clarity on a computer. I don't think TCM has it scheuled anymore which is a shame but today I checked the iTunes store and they have it and since Paramount released it there in March of this year there is a good chance that its the version TCM played and I have $9.99 of store credit that I have been trying to get rid of and this seems like the best thing to get. Since iTunes Store movies have better quality than a recording I should be able to see if the clarity has improved but I will check back and let anyone know if its the same version.

Here is the iTunes link:

http:// http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMovie?id=301689879&s=143441

Message was edited by: JoeBond

I just downloaded the iTunes version and its defiantly the same as the one TCM played and the clarity and definition is a lot better compared to the DVD and all of the compression noise from the DVD is gone but it still has a natural grainy look to it still which is what I was hoping for. Finally this film got a decent video presentation that it deserved and its all thanks to Paramount and I recommend any fans of this film who have an iPod or Apple TV to get the iTunes version since its easily superior to the DVD and lets hope a new DVD will come out with this version.

Yes its hard to tell whether noise or grain is related to the original film or if its due to compression on a DVD but for this case it was not hard to tell since The Invasion of the Body Snatchers was a single layer transfer on the original DVD and the amount noise which is just a heavy amount of grain which distracts from the detail unlike natural film grain which usually does not hinder a presentation of the movie and feels natural. A good example of this is the new DVD version's of Rear Window and Psycho which both have really high bit-rates which leads to less compression but they still have grain on them but its looks more natural and does not create problems with definition which on the iTunes version of Invasion reduces to just natural film grain which allows for more definition and detail to be seen unlike the DVD where the grain did not look natural since it kinda of looked like the fuzziness you get with an over-the-air TV broadcast which makes it hard to see any detail. I may try and post some thumbnails of the iTunes version so people can see the difference in the versions.

> {quote:title=JoeBond wrote:}{quote}

> I may try and post some thumbnails of the iTunes version so people can see the difference in the versions.

That'd be awesome Joe, I'd love to see the difference myself and I'm sure others who are interested in this movie would like that, also.

Here are the thumbnails I promised where the the DVD is on the left and the iTunes is on the right.

http://img258.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=titlescreendvd.jpg

I noticed a little more information on the bottom and the top of the frame so it looks like its slightly uncropped and since all iTunes Store movies are anamorphic they will fill a widescreen TV's whole screen when outputted from a iPod or Apple TV.

Here are some shots of the iTunes Cover Flow, chapters, and tech specs of the iTunes version:

http://img258.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=itunescoverflowlook.jpg

Message was edited by: JoeBond