Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gwtwbooklover

your take on shirley temple

what i was wanting to communicate is how strange it seems to me looking at old movies from my present to then how things don't seem a difficult pass {for example the coming of age of shirley temple} they say her career never was the same when she got older and see i like the older shirley. she grew up to be quite beautiful and her acting evolved to show more emotion, depth than being a cute dancing presence. mind you i didn't grow up in the great depression and in no way can appreciate the joy she gave those audiences. but it seems to me a flourishing career was cut short by growing up. like judy garland when people think of her as dorothy or the our gang kids. also i have trouble with {and i know this slightly changes the subject} the oscar elizabeth taylor got for virginia wolf. richard burton should have received it he is the one who holds the movie together the audience would be lost without him. just because liz let herself look awful to the hilt and we saw a side of her we never saw it is richard burton who did the outstanding acting, lead actor wise in this movie. then there's the story that liz says she didn't deserve the oscar for butterfield 8 and i disagree she did a great job in this.just my thoughts what yours?

Temple's fine, especially when she played with C. Grant.

As for Taylor, I licked her with M. Clift in 2 films; 'Suddenly Last Summer' & of course their 1st pairing, ' A Plaace In The Sun'

Leo

Leo--so you "licked" Elizabeth Taylor. I'll bet she "liked" that.

On the subject at hand, I've seen only about 3 of Shirley's adult roles but she was just as cute as a button even grown up. And I remember watching her TV show when I was a youngster where she did the fairy tales. There was a movie on recently called "Honeymoon" where she goes to Mexico to marry Guy Madison and causes all kinds of trouble for Franchot Tone. She calls Guy "Phillsy Love" which is just precious. She's one of my all time favorites.

I like Shirley. And of course Elizabeth - who seemed much older when she started in movies, or least became a major star at an older age than Shirley.

As for Shirley's older roles, as has been noted, she was very funny opposite Cary Grant in "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" and I think I read in Rudy Behlmer's book on David O. Selznick, that the audience response to Shirley in "Since You Went Away" and "TBATBS" was tremendous. I enjoy her "grown up" type roles, but she never really did a serious or dramatic role or was pushed as an adult. She was/is a beautiful woman.

But as she wrote in her autobiography, she carries her childhood around with her, but as she writes, everyone is a "former child" it's just that she is a "former child star."

I've forgotten about those-I remeber the commercials why do people feel the need to colorize. Are there no black and white versions for sale of Shirley's early pictures? I like She Wore A Yellow Ribbon-I liked her character name Philidelphia and she played her role well. I have yet to see Seabiscuit yet. Missed it when it came on.