Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
moviejoe79

Mary Boland forgotten by TCM

Was anyone else surprised that Mary Boland was not mentioned once during Osborne's intro for "Ruggles of Red Gap"? The theme for tonight (and the rest of the week) is funny ladies, meanwhile the "funny lady" star of this movie is not mentioned once, and only Zasu Pitts is mentioned. Granted, Pitts is also funny and deserves mention, but why would Mary Boland be left out? She was hilarious in this as well as many other films of the 30's, most notably as the Countess de Lave in "The Women". She was also very funny in "Six of a Kind" which featured an all star cast of Paramount comedians, including W.C. Fields and Burns and Allen and who could forget her as the mother in MGM's "Pride and Prejudice," a role that was perfect for her. She and Marsha Hunt provided the comedy relief for the whole movie.

Aside from Boland being forgotten I'm still happy to see that "Ruggles" is on TCM. I haven't seen this movie since AMC showed it about 10 years ago, back when they actually played classic movies. I'm glad TCM was able to get the rights to show it. It's really a gem and very emblematic of the Paramount style of the 1930's, the kind of movie we'll never see again. Thank goodness it survives.

MOVIEJOE!!!

Consider yourself hugged and welcomed. Let me go out back and see if I can find a fatted calf, buddy! Wait until Mongo gets a load of you. How delightful to "see" you again, you ol' TCM Pioneer.

I haven't had a chance to see the Robert Osborne intro to Ruggles of Red Gap after recording it last night, but since it is Funny Ladies week, Mary Boland should certainly be a part of that! I suspect that she is being celebrated as one of the most amusing of the funny ladies in The Women (1939) on tonight at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT, (and she certainly should be mentioned along with Marjorie Main and Rosalind Russell). I'm so glad to read you mentioning Six of a Kind, which is one of the several appearances she made with one of my favorite comic actors, the droll Charlie Ruggles. I hope you'll kick around some thoughts on the rest of the week's funny ladies as they occur to you.

I hope you're doing fine, Joe. Thanks again for visiting. Don't be a stranger.

Joe,

I'm hoping that this means we will be seeing lots more of you here at TCM City. The little community that you helped build has grown some but many of us are still here!

Hi Moira! And hi again Liz!

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's so nice to see you two still here, and Mongo! I swear if he ever leaves the board will just have to shut down and start all over again! He's been the driving force...

I do hope to be posting more. It's nice to see that there are still good discussions going on here. When I drifted away the board was really in the doldrums (which is why I drifted). But I see that there are a lot more people here then when I left, and that's great! Nice to see that there are more classic movie fans finding it.

And Moira you might be right, perhaps Bob O. did mention Mary Boland before "The Women" last night but I didn't see the intro so I don't know. In the lineup on the web they had Rosalind Russell pegged as the "funny lady" being showcased with that movie (and deservedly of course) so I just assume that Boland wasn't mentioned in any way. Too bad, she really was one of the screen's great comedic character actresses. That voice and face, just one of a kind.

I love Mary Boland! I "met" her in "The Women" and I've been saying "Get me a bromide -- and put some gin in it!" ever since! A truly funny and original actress. And I recognize her in anything now.

I thought it odd, too, that Boland wasn't mentioned even though she is ins everal of the films being shown.

Oh, well, they ignore Maude Eburne in RUGGLES, too...

I also love that line from "The Women": "Get me a bromide--and put some gin in it." The next time you watch that scene, pay close attention to Phyllis Povah, the actress who plays Edith Potter. She mouths some of Mary Boland's lines as Mary Boland is speaking, and that's one of the lines I can see her mouthing. Too funny!