Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Esquire: Idris Elba may be the next James Bond

jakeem

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to diverse TV," declared British actor Idris Elba on January 30, 2016 as he prepared to make a presentation at the 22nd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Elba, the son of African parents who moved to London before he was born, had just won two SAG Awards. The first was for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role for the motion picture drama "Beasts of No Nation." The second was for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for the BBC America drama "Luther."

According to Esquire.com, Elba is about to make diverse waves in the film world, too. The producers of the James Bond series are said to be leaning toward the actor as the eventual replacement for Daniel Craig as the British Secret Service agent. The idea of Elba as the first black 007 has been talked about for several years.

Elba would be the seventh actor since 1962 to play the late author Ian Fleming's heroic character in the mainstream Eon Productions movie series. The others: Sir Sean Connery (six films), George Lazenby (one) Sir Roger Moore (seven), Timothy Dalton (two), Pierce Brosnan (four) and Craig (four down, one to go). Connery also appeared as Bond in a non-Eon production.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a22685301/james-bond-producers-idris-elba/

3000.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Idris Elba

12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It would be very interesting if they selected him. But the other blokes are a tough act to follow. Any replacement will face inevitable comparisons.

To his credit, Elba has been nonchalant about Bond rumors for years. They were bound to start up again after Craig announced on August 16, 2017 that the next Bond saga would be his last.

7 minutes ago, jakeem said:

To his credit, Elba has been nonchalant about Bond rumors for years. They were bound to start up again after Craig announced on August 16, 2017 that the next Bond saga would be his last.

After I read your first post, I almost immediately replied without reading any other posts that this rumor has been around for a few years already. But I see you're already aware of that. I haven't seen Luther, which appears to be what he's best known for in his native UK, but boy, he was really great in The Wire. Just like that kid in Get Out, I didn't even know he was British!

21 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I think Craig goes before the cameras in December. The next Bond film is due to hit theaters the end of 2019.

14 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

After I read your first post, I almost immediately replied without reading any other posts that this rumor has been around for a few years already. But I see you're already aware of that. I haven't seen Luther, which appears to be what he's best known for in his native UK, but boy, he was really great in The Wire. Just like that kid in Get Out, I didn't even know he was British!

Elba's Stringer Bell -- a crime kingpin's right-hand man by day and economics student at night -- was an amazing character in "The Wire." At the time I binge-watched it on HBO On Demand, I didn't realize he was British, either.

I saw the first season of "Luther" on BBC America and was fascinated by the troubled police detective and his unusual connection to a psychotic (and brilliant) killer played by Ruth Wilson. I believe there may be a fifth season soon.

Related image

17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think Craig goes before the cameras in December. The next Bond film is due to hit theaters the end of 2019.

I didn't know Danny Boyle will be the director for that one. Maybe they should reconsider and make it a Thanksgiving release.

The only thing I've heard about the film is that the British pop sensation Dua Lipa may perform the theme song.

Image result for dua lipa one kiss  gif

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I didn't know Danny Boyle will be the director for that one. Maybe they should reconsider and make it a Thanksgiving release.

The only thing I've heard about the film is that the British pop sensation Dua Lipa may perform the theme song.

Image result for dua lipa one kiss  gif

Well it might be Thanksgiving. By end of 2019 I meant the holiday season, which typically starts Thanksgiving week. 

If they do not start filming it until December of this year, I would assume they'd have to be done by March to allow enough time for post-production and advertising.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Well it might be Thanksgiving. By end of 2019 I meant the holiday season, which typically starts Thanksgiving week. 

If they do not start filming it until December of this year, I would assume they'd have to be done by March to allow enough time for post-production and advertising.

Have they come up with a title yet? All I've seen is "Bond 25."

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Yes, Boyle is directing the new Bond, but it cannot be released this year because Boyle is working in post-production of another 2019 film, this one a big change for him, a musical fantasy romantic comedy (written by Richard Curtis, of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually, and About Time fame) set in the 70s where one man sets out to reintroduce the world to the music of the Beatles after the whole world mysteriously forgets all about them.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 12:31 AM, ChristineHoard said:

Yes to Idris Elba as Bond!  Why not?  He's great in LUTHER and THE WIRE.  He'd wake up a franchise that's getting a little tired.

I agree. I can dig it.

Too bad though years ago they didn't hire Lindsay Wagner to play Bond. I can just hear her saying "Bond, Jaime Sommers Bond!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings