Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*All About THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE*

Though I have been in these forums about 8 years now-(had to revise handle in 04) I still am not certain exactly as to what this is? Several have suggested in past yrs I join-in, but have either been too busy,etc & again, came in too late. Like (cinemaven) what exactly does it intail?

Thank You

Spence,

The TCM Programming Challenge was originally started by a long time poster (well back then at least), Path40a.

The rules are really simple and can be found in some of the links that Chip has provided.

The basic premise is to put together a week of TCM Programming using the same constraints as the real programmers of the channel. This entails coming up with themes, salutes, programming for *The Essentials*, *Silent Sundays* and *TCM Imports as well as premiering films.

It's a great deal of fun but can be time consuming. But the joy comes from having TCMProgrammer acknowledge the hard work and picking some of the ideas to use in real life.

It's a lot of fun!

I started banging the drum on this Challenge a little early to encourage first-time players to join in, so they could ask questions before the game starts and feel comfortable with playing as soon as the game starts --- and happily it's working, as several people who haven't joined in before have expressed interest!

As lzcutter noted, CineMaven, in this game you're basically "programming" a week for TCM. In just five days (!) you'll get the exact rules for this Challenge, but I'm not making any big changes from earlier games. You'll need Silent Sundays, an Essential, TCM Underground, etc.

And as in the past, there will be a couple of specific programming Challenges ... I'll ask everyone to program something around a stated theme on one or two nights ... and everyone gets details on that on Friday! But most of your Challenge schedule is open to your interpretation.

You aren't just spinning your wheels, Maven ... we all know that you'd already be studying up on Gloria G today anyway.

myidolspencer, earlier in this thread I did a "Frequently Asked Questions/FAQ" to help explain what the TCM Programming Challenge is. Check that out and see if it answers your questions. If not, now's the time to ask questions, so you're ready to play next week!

As lzcutter notes, this game can be time-consuming, but for a classic movie buff it's loads of fun. I structured this Challenge to give everyone five full weekends to work their magic, and my aim is to make this game especially New Player Friendly. Spence (and everyone), I hope you'll sign on for the new Challenge next weekend and give it a try!

"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights." -Eve Harrington

*RESEARCH TIP FOR NEW PLAYERS*

When playing the Challenge, you will have access to several specific film libraries to use. You'll be given a link to the IMDB list of all the films in each library.

I'd suggest choosing one of the libraries that you're least familiar with and checking it out as soon as they are announced Friday. Just scan the list and click on titles that sound interesting. You'll find lots of movies that you didn't know about, and this may give you ideas for themes.

In the last Challenge, one of the libraries we used was United Artists films made after 1950. If you want to sample a few of the films, check it out now:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

I found a very interesting Ray Milland movie that I didn't know about (hint, hint, ILRM).

"You're not much of a bargain, you know. You're conceited and thoughtless and messy." -Margo Channing

Everyone who participates in the game and submits a week's schedule votes for his/her favorite. The players are the judges.

This is done either publicly in a special voting thread set up each time or by Private Message to the moderator.

People are very creative in these parts, and it's often tough to pick one.

"The only thing I ordered by mistake is the guests. They're domestic, too, and they don't care what they drink as long as it burns!" -Margo Channing

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, cuz he forgot to include that Margo Channing quote!

HollywoodG, I have been thinking about that.

I'm going back through all of the previous Challenge rules to see if there is a precedent. If not, my plan in the event of a tie is to ask each participant to Private Message me their choice between the two who tie.

Some people feel uneasy about selecting "favorites" among their friends. It's not such a big deal when ten or so people compete as Challengers, but I think some people would not publicly want to choose between TWO. Thus, the PM vote.

And....HollywoodG.....can we count you among the players this go-round? Hope so! Anyone who can come up with a clever screen name like yours must have a lot to offer!

"Cut! Print it! What happens in the next reel? Do I get dragged off screaming to the snake pits?" -Margo Channing

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, who is watching a friend on TV while he does this. He should really pay attention to one thing at a time.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> And....HollywoodG.....can we count you among the players this go-round? Hope so! Anyone who can come up with a clever screen name like yours must have a lot to offer!

You're much too kind, Chip. I'll enter if I can play on a non-competitive basis, which I believe other participants have done before.

I just want to have fun. I don't ask for a single vote in return. :)

P.S. You can call me "Holly" for short, if you like. It's not my RL name but it should be easy enough for folks to remember.

*Everyone who participates in the game and submits a week's schedule votes for his/her favorite. The players are the judges.*>>

Chipsy,

In the past, the community has participated in the voting process. It's usually that anyone who has registered before the start of the challenge is eligible to vote whether they submit a schedule or not.

Hooray! The lovely HollywoodGolightly ... Holly to her pals ... is on board!

One other person has let me know via PM they're playing while recusing herself from the voting. The real fun is in making the schedule, as you'll see! I'm very happy you're joining the game.

Birdie: "I'll tell you how: like... like she's studying you, like you was a play or a book or a set of blueprints - how you walk, talk, eat, think, sleep..."

Margo Channing: "I'm sure that's very flattering, Birdie. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it."

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, the Enemy of Plain Text

It has been that the host/moderator would not vote unless there was a tie. Only then would they cast a vote and then that would decide the winner. (If I remember correctly that was the case when I won.)

However, any idea might be welcome for consideration.

"Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, who is watching a friend on TV while he does this. He should really pay attention to one thing at a time."

I'm watching your friend and she amazes me each week with her fairness and even-handedness and her quips. ("Both breasts can count to ten.") P.S. I hate Annie.

P.S.S. It shows how unfair bosses are in judging character and how one works, too.

I'd personally prefer not to make the call in the case of a tie --- I'd rather have everyone who voted before choose between the two.

Does this put an unreasonable burden on voters? If so, I'm okay with doing it.

I appreciate all of the help from you guys who have moderated before!

I just received a question via PM from a potential new player that I'd like to answer publicly.

Although lots of folks are declaring that they are playing, you needn't declare yourself as a player. Once the game is announced Friday, new players can give it a try --- as long as you get your schedule in by the deadline, you're in!

The more the merrier, and I hope lots of first-time players join in!

*Deal me out.*

Wwaaahhhhh!!!!!

Noooooooo!!!!!!

Who will stick up and program for Margaret O'Brien!!!!!

Patful,

Say it ain't so!!!

*Say it ain't so!!!* - lzcutter

Vacillating is my middle name. I just don't want to say I definitely will and then not put up a schedule.

I'm sure glad I picked Chip, who's doing far better than I ever could. Great job, buddy!

Message was edited by: patful, because he watched way too much Barrymore today

Archived