Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*All About THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE*

Hello all. Count me in for the next go round of the challenge! I can't wait to see what some of the guidelines will be for this one.

~Donna :)

*"You're the detective. Don't ask me for answers."*

*~ Jarvis Goodland (Ray Milland) ~ Columbo: The Greenhouse Jungle*

*"I never discuss business before dinner."*

*~Jean Lafitte (Fredric March) ~ The Buccaneer (1938)*

*"Having some trouble Mr. DA?"*

*~Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews) ~ Ball of Fire (1942)*

*"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."*

*~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)*

*"When I start a fight, I like to finish it."*

*~Britt Reid/The Green Hornet (Van Williams) ~ The Green Hornet: Freeway to Death*

So that means your passport reads "pat Vacillating ful?"

I thought sure seeing that glimpse of Margaret O'Brien in *Dr. Gillespie's Criminal Case* on TCM this afternoon was an omen that you'd jump back in.

No worries, dear friend, as you know all so well -- this is a fun game. Join in if you can (and hopefully you can, cuz you are a formidable foe for all), and if you have to take a pass there's always next time.

Personally, folks I wouldn't count the wily patful out until the second the Challenge closes, so everyone should be at the top of his/her game!

And p, if you end up having to wait, be inspired by ILoveRayMilland, who feverishly worked last time and had to stop at the last minute due to school commitments --- ILRM has already stockpiled ideas from before and is locked and loaded, and guaranteed to be trouble for the other players.

Just over two days away from the start...and Fredmill is jumping in! Yay!

There's room for one and all. Still time to join in!

Chip, you can try to pass on the deciding the tie...but I think you're stuck with it. That is one of the responsibilities.

How did that line go in Singin' in the Rain: "We TCM Programming Challenge Moderators get the glory, we gotta take the little heartaches that go with it."

Okay, filmlover, I will maintain the status quo on that one, albeit reluctantly.

Hopefully each and every player now feels the Challenge to make his/her schedule so spectacular that a tie is UNTHINKABLE. Considering the caliber of the folks who have tossed (or semi-tossed) their hats in the ring, this is going to be a GREAT game.

Veteran players better not rest on their laurels this time around. Some of the first-time players know their stuff pretty darn well!

filmlover, I think the quote was actually "Uneasy lies the something something that wears the tiara." Something like that.

Not sure if it was in *Singin' in the Rain* or *Henry IV* but either way --- if Mr. Freed or Mr. Shakespeare decreed it, it must be so. I will man up and accept the tie-breaker rule.

This is going to be the best Challenge yet!

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, cuz he and Plain Text ain't never gonna be friends.

Just a reminder for any of you who are non-members of TCM.com, you'll need to sign up for membership by the end of the calendar day (before midnight) tomorrow, April 30, in order to vote.

Thanks patful for pointing out an error and enabling me to correct it to avoid confusion.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, who apparently is being played by Suzanne Somers or the Landers Sisters lately.

Say Chip...will you give us a sneak preview of what the challenge will entail??

Come on...it's almost Friday.

Message was edited by CineMaven becuz I'm hoping saying

"pretty please with a cherry on top," will get me my way.

How about an UN-hint...I'll tell you something this Challenge DOESN'T include.

All of the references to and quotes from *All About Eve* in this thread referred solely to my sneaky understudy self swiping the role of moderator from the rightful star patful.

That's why I stopping using *Eve* quotes a few days ago.

There's nothing about *All About Eve* specifically in this Challenge, but of course you're welcome to come up with an *Eve* theme if you feel so inspired. As in all Challenges, most of the time on your schedule you can go crazy with your own ideas.

And in this Challenge, whether you're a Birdie, a Miss Caswell, an Addison DeWitt, an Eve, a Margo, a Karen, a Lloyd, or even (yawn) a Bill Sampson...you have the chance for overnight stardom if you win the game!

Tomorrow I'll drop a hint ...

"I sit in the subway sometimes, on buses, or the movies, and I look at the people next to me and I think...'What would you say if I told you I was a witch?' " -Queenie (Elsa Lanchester) in Bell, Book and Candle ...oops, did I just let something slip?

Chip, you're not going to have us create all titles in Witch-ese!

6:00 AM:

"There Shall Come Joyous Outburst,

A Melodic Voice That Isn't the Worst,

But Rises to the Heavens to Battle

Torrent Flows From Storms to Rattle" (MGM, 1952) G.Kelly, D.Reynolds 103 min.

Filmlover, my lips are sealed. Isn't it wonderful not knowing, and knowing that all will be revealed on Friday?

But I will drop a hint tomorrow.

"Anticipation...is keeping me waiting."-Carly Simon

"There is no terror in a bang, only in the anticipation of it." -Alfred Hitchcock

"I see you shiver with antici...pation." -Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry), The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

CM,

That one is the sequel to Gloria's stunning performance as a seductress who winds up on the wrong side of love in *Shiftless Cons Gloria*. Considering how much Shiftless did Gloria wrong in that movie, I think Shiftless had the boiling water coming to him.

CM,

Remember, *Gloria Tortures FrankGrimes* is the sequel to *Shiftless Cons Gloria* , so that is the main clue as to who Shiftless is.

Hope that helps. I love the *Gloria* films starting with the first one *Gloria Meets Molo* the tale of two misfits brought together at Chumley's Rest Home after a rousing night at a local bar. They share a passion for classic movies, liquor and a pooka named Harvey.

All is going well until Molo dons a particularly misshapen hat and Gloria's head is turned by that cad, Shiftless Sam.

Even Elwood Dowd can't save the budding romance between Molo and Gloria from tanking once Shiftless shows up.

Even Elwood Dowd can't save the budding romance between Molo and Gloria from tanking once Shiftless shows up.

Hey, I've seen this one. This is the one where Gloria guns down Whosits and runs off with Molo. Terrific ending.

So are you going to allow people to vote for you this time, Lest We Lynn? You know you'll never earn my vote, but maybe you can get some other sucker to vote for you. :P

*You know you'll never earn my vote, but maybe you can get some other sucker to vote for you.*

I figure I'll be as old as Olive Carey by the time you actually post about *SWAYR* .

It's okay, I suspect by the time Gloria is done in *Gloria Tortures FrankGrimes* you resemble Hank Worden more than anything.

I'll go get your rocking chair.

"Even Elwood Dowd can't save the budding romance between Molo and Gloria from tanking once Shiftless shows up." - lzcutter.

I think Gloria's lasting regret was not picking that Pooka.

Aaah, what might have been...

*I think Gloria's lasting regret was not picking that Pooka.* - CineMaven

*Aaah, what might have been...*

Hey! Was that a jab?

Well...why... uh.....well...oh....darn it...you're probably right... :)

Lynn,

I was with you all the way until you brought in that "Shiftless" character. We can do without him. He's poor box office anyway. I will be monitoring your schedule closely. Glad to see CineMaven taking part too. Now don't tell me Grimes is gonna play. I'll eat my Mad Hat! :D

*Hey, I've seen this one. This is the one where Gloria guns down Whosits and runs off with Molo. Terrific ending.* - Frank Grimes

Yes that was followed by *Molo and Gloria go to Rio and spend Grimes' Money.*

That was always my favorite. Carmen Miranda does a cameo.

I will probably just be voting. I don't have the courage to do a schedule yet.

Molo,

Don't know if you know but there is whole series of movies starring Gloria and Molo. We just need a thread to talk about them instead of hijacking Chipsy's thread.

Lead on, McDuff-

I shall follow and bring the titles with me.

Archived