Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*All About THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE*

As we know from the movies, when the hijackers are sexy enough then a crime isn't really committed. So you're safe, lzcutter & company, especially since this thread will be shut down soon for the OFFICIAL Challenge thread. Particularly since you're using your hijacking wiles to try and lure molo into playing along.

And Holly, I am indeed a fan of *Rocky Horror* --- a huge fan. I was one of those thousands of 13 year olds they wrote magazine articles about in the 70's who went to the theatre every weekend at midnight and threw toilet paper and squirted squirt guns and chanted responses to the dialogue, most of which I can recite along with the movie to this day. I probably saw it (in the theatre) close to a hundred times.

It might surprise some of my TCM pals who know my constantly declared favorite movie is the family-friendly *Meet Me in St. Louis* , but I would say that *Rocky Horror* is one of two movies that had the greatest impact on my life. Had I been a Fan Programmer pick who had to choose ten films for TCM, that would definitely have been among them. It's impossible to describe today what that movie meant to an "unconventional" teen growing up in a small town outside Atlanta in a very different time than we live in today. For all of its silliness and high camp, seeing it was a life-altering experience for a very large number of people.

But that isn't a hint for the coming Challenge, just an answer to a question. Your hints will be posted separately --- and one will be posted momentarily!

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> For all of its silliness and high camp, seeing it was a life-altering experience for a very large number of people.

>

> But that isn't a hint for the coming Challenge, just an answer to a question. Your hints will be posted separately --- and one will be posted momentarily!

Oh, I believe you regarding RHPS, it is a movie that yields rich rewards if you can look beyond the surface and the apparent silliness.

But, back to the challenge, I look forward to the next hint!! :D

We're in the home stretch for the official launch of the new Challenge. By popular demand, here's a little peek at things to come in the game (and a hint or two). It will launch TOMORROW, Friday, May 1.

There will be TWO Special Challenge Themes that you will be asked to incorporate into your schedule.

On one of them, here's a hint: movies that _wouldn't_ fit the bill include *Dinner at Eight, The Clock, Double Indemnity, Chinatown, For Pete's Sake* or *Everyone Says I Love You* .

And while I know they'll overcome the slight handicap with their sparkling minds and encyclopedic film knowledge, some TCMers who might be a wee bit extra-Challenged (should they all choose to play, two of them haven't tossed their hats in the ring publicly) include TCM Fan Programmers lzcutter, CineMaven, Kyle, and MissGoddess. They're singled out since, thanks to their terrific work this month as Fan Programmers, _everyone_ has gotten to know them a little. (They aren't really handicapped at all, something about them provides a clue. And that something ISN'T how great they looked on TCM! That's a given, not a clue).

And that's your hint. Figure out what ties those films and those TCMers together and you'll get a whopping few hours' head start. Even if someone guesses this particular Challenge theme correctly, I will neither confirm nor deny until the game's rules are announced tomorrow.

First-time players, the Challenge isn't this cryptic, the rules will be stated clearly and everyone will have the same info --- and the whole month of May to set up a schedule. I am ESPECIALLY excited that several people have said they'll be joining the game for the first time. You'll find it loads of fun, and if you hit a rough patch you'll find me --- and your other TCM pals --- available to help explain how to play.

Just want to give everyone who's interested a puzzle to play with for the final hours before the REAL game starts.

Charles Ferry: "If you were my girl, I'd make love to you in every room of the house, on every table top, on every rug."

Schuyler Dandridge: "We also have some lovely Early American chandeliers..."

-Ferry (Tim Roth) and Dandridge (Drew Barrymore) in Everyone Says I Love You

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies. Look at what time he posted this and you have the answer why he is editing.

Oh, and that earlier "accidental" slip when I mentioned *Bell, Book and Candle* ? That one is a hint about the OTHER Special Challenge Theme. Maybe I'll share more hints for the other Special Challenge Theme later today ... either way, all will be explained tomorrow!

"I feel like an idiot fainting in a stranger's office." -Mary Gibson (Kim Hunter) in The Seventh Victim

Can anyone tell me how to be removed from the General Discussions forum...I have tried and tried to contact TCM but no answer...My mails are getting so clogged I cant get important information.

I have tried everything on my own with this site and nothing works...

I love TCM but 200 mails a day is killing me...I want to unsubscribe NOW

Thanks

kw

HasBeen7x -

Here's a link to the previous thread created on the problem where I gave you instructions on how to stop the email flood.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=8229019#8229019

And for good measure, here's a repost of what I wrote -

HasBeen7x -

If this is the account used for registration and from which the emails are being generated -

While logged in...

Go to "Your Control Panel" on the upper right side of this page

(Found below the "Welcome, HasBeen7x")

From there go to "edit your profile" and change the email listed to

email@domain.com

Return to the Control Panel and click on "Your Watches"

This is the area that generates the emails.

Make sure the two general preferences are set to "No".

And also delete/remove any other "Watch" lists found there.

Save and exit.

This change should take effect by the end of the day and stop the flood of emails into your Inbox.

If you previously registered under a different user name, repeat these steps while logged in with that account.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> On one of them, here's a hint: movies that _wouldn't_ fit the bill include *Dinner at Eight, The Clock, Double Indemnity, Chinatown, For Pete's Sake* or *Everyone Says I Love You* .

That's easy: movies from the 60's. (Elementary, my dear Chip!) ;)

Other movies that _wouldn't_ make the cut for the first Special Challenge I mentioned include *Midnight Cowboy, Show People, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, BUtterfield 8, Troop Beverly Hills, Funny Girl* and *King Kong* --- all three versions.

All will be made clear in less than a day as we launch the new Challenge! Bookmark your IMDb link now!

While I've used that logic to justify cocktails at pretty much any hour, I'm afraid this Challenge runs on Eastern time.

"Come with us quietly, Rosemary. Don't argue or make a scene. Because if you say anything more about witches or witchcraft, we're gonna be forced to take you to a mental hospital. You don't want that, do you?" -Dr Abraham Sapirstein (Ralph Bellamy) in "Rosemary's Baby"

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies for lazy typos.

> Movies that have people in them? You're going to go with Animals, Animal, Animals movies, 24 hours a day, unneutered

At least it would give me a good reason to program *The Hellstrom Chronicle*.

them02.jpg

I just hope this "special" theme will fit in with the schedule I've been working on for a week. I just about have it done except for maybe 3 films, with some decent showcases with films we haven't seen on TCM in a while. I even scheduled shorts that I thought would fit in with my daily themes. I'd hate to have to trash the whole thing.

No wonder I never did this before now--it's hard.

patful, not to worry --- *Troop Beverly Hills* is only inappropriate for one of the special Challenges. That Star of the Month: Shelley Long night you have up your sleeve is safe on any other night!

(I have to admit to liking this movie as a Guilty Pleasure. Plus, it was the film debut of Tori Spelling!).

Heavens to Betsy! In less than two hours it's May 1 (on the East Coast)! The TCM Programming Challenge is drawing nearer with every second! Batten down the hatches and be sure your IMDb.com and TCM.com links are bookmarked! Ready or not, the TCM Programming Challenge is coming!

Professor Marvel: "There's a storm blowin' up, a Whopper, to speak in the vernacular of the peasantry."

Zeke: "It's a twister! It's a twister!"

-Prof. Marvel (Frank Morgan) and Zeke (Bert Lahr), lightly edited, in "The Wizard of Oz"

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies who is so excited the games are about to begin he makes brainless typos. If he only had a brain.

The Challenge has been posted! I held off posting til our friends in Hawaii rang in May 1.

This thread is now closed. Please post your questions and comments in the thread THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #13: LUCKY13."

Good luck and have fun!

Archived