Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Star Trek: "sci-fi nirvana"

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Sounds like you had fun, Kid. :)

I'm having a blast! :D

Winona Ryder is really good in sci-fi flicks and I keep meaning to pay special attention to her in this, but I get so involved I forget. I'll get her next time :)

The IMAX showing has a limited play schedule of 2 weeks, so I've got about 10 days to catch it. I've made up my mind I'm going to see this a 3rd time, whichever way.

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > Sounds like you had fun, Kid. :)

> I'm having a blast! :D

>

> Winona Ryder is really good in sci-fi flicks and I keep meaning to pay special attention to her in this, but I get so involved I forget. I'll get her next time :)

>

> The IMAX showing has a limited play schedule of 2 weeks, so I've got about 10 days to catch it. I've made up my mind I'm going to see this a 3rd time, whichever way.

Funny you mention Winona Ryder because as I was walking out of Star Trek the first time I saw it, a 10:10 AM showing, I overheard some people talking about how they were surprised to find out that she was actually Spock's mother and she was great if you ask me. I will be seeing it again some time this weekend, its the only great movie out right now and if I enjoy it as much as 1st time then count me in for the DVD when it comes out this fall, and I want to see it at a time where there will be more people because when it comes to these event films they are always better to see with a big crowd since for some reason it makes it a better experience which is what I tried to do initially since I was originally going to see it on last Thursday night when it premiered but did not have the time.

I really love that they cast Winona Ryder in that part, I think she did a terrific job. When she first appeared on-screen, I didn't even realize I was looking at her, I was only thinking about her character. And even though the part is very small, it's a pivotal one, I think.

For once they manage to do almost everything just right- perfect cast, smart script, an epic style direction, state of the arts effects and a wonderful new score. The film both rejuvenates and pays tribute to classic "Star Trek" .

* *Arena*

Production: 019

Season: 1 Episode: 18

DVD Disc: 5

Air Date: 01.19.1967

Stardate: 3045.6

The Gorn Episode

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68698.html

That looks like the Star Fleet outpost that's being finished off by the giant green lizard guys (gee I love this kinda talk :) ) - it's really their territory and they're cleaning house.

This pic reminds me about the new Star Trek 2009.. many away teams in the original series had a security officer (yes, the poor guy in red) who was a gar-un-teed goner shortly after beaming down. Just like Hotel California: "You can check out, but you can never leave". You may have missed this little bit of a nod to the series. I did at my first screening. Caught it the second time around. It's cool when a little detail like this is suddenly apparent. When Kirk, Sulu, and (you guessed it) the guy in the red suit are boarding a shuttle in prep to skydive onto the fiery drilling machine that's been lowered from the enemy ship.. the red shirt bites the dust. There's only a couple of brief shots of him in red as they board the shuttle and prepare to launch. Just enough to catch your eye if you happen to be looking. It's one of those "AHA!" moments.

Go here and scroll to the bottom - it's the 6th clip (last) I think.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/access-hollywood-movie-misquotes.html

Finally saw it again and enjoyed it as much as the first time if not more. One thing I noticed about the opening sequence was that during the sequence where Kirk's dad is trying to protect the shuttles from the Kelvin to get to safety there was a moment where the sound effects are subdued while the music becomes more prominent and it really brought to mind the best aspects of the show Lost since the music in this sequence is similar to some of the great character moments of Lost which is what makes the show great IMO and I liked how once the title screen comes up after that amazing opening you feel that it really earned it and was not just for show. By the way for a 12:30 PM showing on a Monday there were a lot of people and I noticed some girls watching that looked like high schoolers or they could have been college students like myself but surprising since its been out for 2 weeks so I think we have a box office winner on our hands and will easily make $200 million domestically.

:) Yeah. It's like when the title fades in, you're sitting there going "Man. You mean there's a whole 'nother movie after that?" :)

The use of music here is like an unseen character. Excellent score.

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> :) Yeah. It's like when the title fades in, you're sitting there going "Man. You mean there's a whole 'nother movie after that?" :)

>

> The use of music here is like an unseen character. Excellent score.

Yeah thats exactly what it was like and the score is pretty excellent. I actually bought the End credits track from the soundtrack off of iTunes and boy was it worth it since not only does it have the original TV series theme but the majority of the other themes from the movie including the wonderful theme used in the main titles that you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I didn't want to see this movie, because I thought, "What worldwide federation in its right mind would give command of a bazillion dollar starship to a 25-year-old?" Also, my teenaged son loved this movie and told me, "Mom. You have to see it." but he loves anything with lots of explosions, so I disregarded the recommendation.

However, after reading the enthusiastic responses from everyone here, I may need to re-evaluate my decision and go see it after all.

> {quote:title=traceyk wrote:}{quote}

> However, after reading the enthusiastic responses from everyone here, I may need to re-evaluate my decision and go see it after all.

You really should give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it. It's really well done, and it's fun to "rediscover" the characters from the original 60s series.

• 5 months later...

For anyone who might be thinking about buying this on DVD or blu-ray when it comes out next Tuesday, Best Buy is going to have special "doorbuster" sales which will entail special discounts for those who are there for the midnight opening, or during the first 2 hours on Tuesday morning.

Both Best Buy and Target will have some kind of special packaging promotions going on, too.

Well, as any "Star Trek" fan probably knows, the movie's out and it's a great transfer - especially on blu-ray.

Of the two special packaging deals going on, BB's badges seem to have been far more popular (or at least in shorter supply) than Target's miniature "Enterprise" set. The Target exclusive, however, is sure to put a smile on the face of any Trekker - the 2 discs are housed inside the saucer section of the "Enterprise".

(Be warned, however that according to the assembly instructions, once the ship is put together it should not be disassembled, because some of the parts could break).

There are a lot of extras in the set and probably the most interesting thing is about JJ's insistence on shooting with film, even though many feel there's a lot of pressure to shoot almost anything with digital cameras in this day and age.

Also, an interesting interview with Ben Burtt about the sound effects for the new movie reveals how a few sound effect literally go back many decades now, with the technique for creating the "firing torpedos" sound effect apparently having been used for other things in some classic film, including a Marlene Dietrich movie that (regrettably) Ben did not identify by name.

Glad to see ST back in the mainstream, after so many years when only the most devoted Trekkers seemed to be showing any interest.