Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Errol Flynn....still the best.

Bethluvsfilms

I say this being aware of his rape trials, his alcoholism, his liking for young ladies perhaps a little bit too young for him. 

But he was still a great presence in the cinema. There is no better Robin Hood on screen than him, no one who could have enthused CAPTAIN BLOOD with such dignity (despite the injustice being done to him) and charm as he did. 

And his chemistry with Olivia de Havilland is legendary, in all their movies they did together, they had a rapport and chemistry that a lot of today's cinematic pairings would just die to have.

I wish I could get that book that he wrote about himself, MY WICKED WICKED WAYS. It sounds like it would be a fascinating read.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I say this being aware of his rape trials, his alcoholism, his liking for young ladies perhaps a little bit too young for him. 

But he was still a great presence in the cinema. There is no better Robin Hood on screen than him, no one who could have enthused CAPTAIN BLOOD with such dignity (despite the injustice being done to him) and charm as he did. 

And his chemistry with Olivia de Havilland is legendary, in all their movies they did together, they had a rapport and chemistry that a lot of today's cinematic pairings would just die to have.

I wish I could get that book that he wrote about himself, MY WICKED WICKED WAYS. It sounds like it would be a fascinating read.

Check out Amazon.  You can get it through them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have that book, but I'd have to search my garage for it. Bought it many years ago and it was great reading. I'd give it to you if I find it.

I also have the book on all his films, with the photos of him with Lily Damita and ones with his father and looking quite young in Tasmania maybe. Love all his films, but last night while accidentally watching the opening of "Too Much, Too Soon" [which I've seen before] was kind of touched by his performance as Barrymore, since much of Jack's issues seemed also to be Flynn's issues too. The drunken rage scene was rather upsetting to see and Errol by that time had started to have his outer turmoils show in his looks. I think I read once that though he was so robust seeming on film, that after he died some doctor involved with perhaps an autopsy or just managing his health beforehand, said internally he had the body of a very aged man of many years more than he had lived, which were previous health problems not even connected to his partying lifestyle of drink or whatever. So his portraiture of Barrymore seemed to be a bit about himself also, since both were bon vivants with charm and insouciance, that perhaps did not reflect the whole person. We are all lucky though to still have access to Flynn's many great entrances in films, like as Robin Hood, or to see him leading his crew in rebellion while swinging around on ropes skillfully and with aplomb.

• Like 2

I agree.  Because duh of course I do.  

I actually just watched Captain Blood again last night for the umpteenth time.  Even though the long hair doesn't do anything for me, and Errol seems a little stiff in this film, he still did a great job--especially considering this was his first big film.  He and Olivia are excellent together.  What a coup for them and for us that Warner Brothers gambled on these two unknowns for such a big production.  

My Wicked Wicked Ways is excellent.  You should have no problem getting it from Amazon, it's never been out of print since it was published in 1959.  You could also probably find it at the library.  When I first read the book, I checked it out from the library. I couldn't put it down! Towards the end of the book, I literally only read 1-2 pages at a time because I didn't want it to end. I purchased my copy at a local bookstore.  

I love watching Errol in anything he does.  Though, I will admit that watching some of his later films is difficult for me, because he just seems tired and depressed.  However, I find that even in the 1950s, when he was looking a little haggard and older than his years, he still had panache.  In The Sun Also Rises, he's a shadow of his former self, but while watching the film, you'll still catch glimpses of his charisma and personality.  His scenes with Eddie Albert are the most enjoyable ones in the film.  

My top 5 Errol Flynn films (rated on personal favorites, not specifically quality):

1. Gentleman Jim (I know this film is a biopic, but the role of James J. Corbett was just meant for Errol Flynn).

2. The Adventures of Robin Hood 

3. Never Say Goodbye

4. Uncertain Glory

5. They Died With Their Boots On

I pretty much love all Errol Flynn films, though I'll admit that Another Dawn didn't particularly grab me.  I don't know what the makeup crew did to Errol, but they made him look like a porcelain doll or something.  I don't know, he didn't look as gorgeous as he normally does, and for whatever reason, that partially affected my enjoyment of the film. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Believe it or not, I've haven't seen a whole lot of Errol's later work, though I would love to see TOO MUCH TOO SOON and his portrayal of John Barrymore. 

Not sure how I'd feel about seeing an aged Errol Flynn, considering what his drinking may have done to him, but I'd still like to catch the film.

Spencer Tracy was only in his 60's when he passed away, yet he looked well into his 70's due to his own problems with alcoholism. Still a great actor nevertheless.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Believe it or not, I've haven't seen a whole lot of Errol's later work, though I would love to see TOO MUCH TOO SOON and his portrayal of John Barrymore. 

Not sure how I'd feel about seen an aged Errol Flynn, considering what his drinking may have done to him, but I'd still like to catch the film.

Spencer Tracy was only in his 60's when he passed away, yet he looked well into his 70's due to his own problems with alcoholism. Still a great actor nevertheless.

Too Much Too Soon was on last night.   I watched it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM last night as part of Dorothy Malone's Summer Under The Stars day.

Dang! So close, yet so far....I had other stuff to do that day so I couldn't catch any of her stuff. 

Guess I'll just have to wait until next time, whenever that may be.

13 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Dang! So close, yet so far....I had other stuff to do that day so I couldn't catch any of her stuff. 

Guess I'll just have to wait until next time, whenever that may be.

Too Much Too Soon is on Watch TCM right now if you find time before Aug 18 to watch it.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I actually just watched Captain Blood again last night for the umpteenth time.  Even though the long hair doesn't do anything for me, and Errol seems a little stiff in this film, he still did a great job--especially considering this was his first big film.  He and Olivia are excellent together.  What a coup for them and for us that Warner Brothers gambled on these two unknowns for such a big production.  

Also watched Captain Blood yet again.  Just love this film and of course Flynn and DeHavilland.    Going down to Laguna Beach today to where the Rathbone \ Flynn sword fight took place.     

• Like 2

I had the treat of watching Captain Blood last week on my 50" TV.  I had just had cataract surgery and could view it without glasses, what an eyeful.  Who else can stand on the prow of that ship and shout that corny dialogue so convincingly?  Hell, I'm ready to jump on board and push that wheel that raises the anchor myself.   I don't mind the wig in Captain Blood because when I first saw it on syndicated TV as young teen, many of the cute stars had long hair like that, so the wig just adds to the attraction  When I watch him as Captain Blood or Robin Hood, I forget about the scandals (and just about whatever else is bothering me).  I've seen Too Much, Too Soon, but could only bear to watch that once; it's a raw and painful performance, with some lovely moments (the speech from Henry V).  However, once he dies in that one, the film loses interest for me.  I'm not a Dorothy Malone fan. I spent my evening watching Written on the Wind wanting to slap her.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, rosebette said:

I had the treat of watching Captain Blood last week on my 50" TV.  I had just had cataract surgery and could view it without glasses, what an eyeful.  Who else can stand on the prow of that ship and shout that corny dialogue so convincingly? 

Finally got around to The Sea Hawk, and as their featurette critics point out, Flynn seems to be playing it with a game wink to his audience of "Do you believe this either? ;) "

They also point out the story was clearly skewed as a pre-war Britain-vs-Germany metaphor, with Spain "out to conquer the world" (and never once mentioning Elizabeth's parentage), and Flora Robson's Elizabeth I finally coming around to Flynn's idea that maybe Spain can't be appeased and might be building an Armada to attack, after all.  

Still, hadn't seen too many vintage studio-water-tank privateer epics, and was struck by just how much a game, jolly Flynn pre-influenced the style of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies--A good transitional for those trying to get their kids into watching B/W.

1 minute ago, ChristineHoard said:

I watched only the Flynn scenes in Too Much, Too Soon because I figured those were the scenes worth watching.  He was quite good and the Henry V speech was a lovely moment.  In reality, Diana Barrymore passed away just two years after this flick came out.

Despite the upbeat ending and her attempts at sobriety, sadly, Diana Barrymore never could overcome the family disease of alcoholism.

31 minutes ago, rosebette said:

I had the treat of watching Captain Blood last week on my 50" TV.  I had just had cataract surgery and could view it without glasses, what an eyeful.  Who else can stand on the prow of that ship and shout that corny dialogue so convincingly?  Hell, I'm ready to jump on board and push that wheel that raises the anchor myself.   I don't mind the wig in Captain Blood because when I first saw it on syndicated TV as young teen, many of the cute stars had long hair like that, so the wig just adds to the attraction  When I watch him as Captain Blood or Robin Hood, I forget about the scandals (and just about whatever else is bothering me).  I've seen Too Much, Too Soon, but could only bear to watch that once; it's a raw and painful performance, with some lovely moments (the speech from Henry V).  However, once he dies in that one, the film loses interest for me.  I'm not a Dorothy Malone fan. I spent my evening watching Written on the Wind wanting to slap her.

A year or two ago, we got a new 55" UHD 4K TV and it's amazing how great the classics look on this screen.  Some of the films look like they were just made yesterday! Captain Blood looks pretty good (well as good as the WB print lets it be), but The Adventures of Robin Hood Blu-Ray looks fantastic.  I have many Criterion films that have been obviously restored and they look fantastic on the Hi-Def screen. 

I noticed that Errol's teeth changed throughout the film.  Perhaps he got his first big paycheck during production and got some of his teeth capped (I read in his autobiography that he was out at a club with a lady and one of his caps fell out onto the table.  He had to discreetly put it back into his mouth).  I know that the first scenes he shot were a little shaky, and as he gained more confidence, he was asked to re-shoot his earlier scenes.  I think Flynn had a gap in his front teeth which he got fixed.  

The one scene where I did think he had his usual amount of "smoking hot-ness" was in the slave buying scene:

Flynn+Captain+Blood.jpg

Then here is Flynn (sans wig), getting fitted for a costume in Captain Blood

87c71a94139a03101c8902d508e9155d.jpg

Move over guy in the foreground, I'll take his inseam!  If only I knew how to sew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

A year or two ago, we got a new 55" UHD 4K TV and it's amazing how great the classics look on this screen.  Some of the films look like they were just made yesterday! Captain Blood looks pretty good (well as well as the WB print is), but The Adventures of Robin Hood Blu-Ray looks fantastic.  I have many Criterion films that have been obviously restored and they look fantastic on the Hi-Def screen. 

I noticed that Errol's teeth changed throughout the film.  Perhaps he got his first big paycheck during production and got some of his teeth capped (I read in his autobiography that he was out at a club with a lady and one of his caps fell out onto the table.  He had to discreetly put it back into his mouth).  I know that the first scenes he shot were a little shaky, and as he gained more confidence, he was asked to re-shoot his earlier scenes.  I think Flynn had a gap in his front teeth which he got fixed.  

The one scene where I did think he had his usual amount of "smoking hot-ness" was in the slave buying scene:

Flynn+Captain+Blood.jpg

Then here is Flynn (sans wig), getting fitted for a costume in Captain Blood

87c71a94139a03101c8902d508e9155d.jpg

Move over guy in the foreground, I'll take his inseam!  If only I knew how to sew.

I actually like him later in the film when he's cleaned up a bit.  Those pirate hats are tilted at such a nice angle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rosebette said:

I actually like him later in the film when he's cleaned up a bit.  Those pirate hats are tilted at such a nice angle.

I love his boots! 

You have to be pretty tall to wear thigh-high boots.  On me, the boot would be the whole length of my leg and I'd look like I was wearing chaps with shoes attached to the ends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Finally got around to The Sea Hawk, and as their featurette critics point out, Flynn seems to be playing it with a game wink to his audience of "Do you believe this either? ;) "

They also point out the story was clearly skewed as a pre-war Britain-vs-Germany metaphor, with Spain "out to conquer the world" (and never once mentioning Elizabeth's parentage), and Flora Robson's Elizabeth I finally coming around to Flynn's idea that maybe Spain can't be appeased and might be building an Armada to attack, after all.  

Still, hadn't seen too many vintage studio-water-tank privateer epics, and was struck by just how much a game, jolly Flynn pre-influenced the style of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies--A good transitional for those trying to get their kids into watching B/W.

While The Sea Hawk has better production values, Captain Blood is my favorite Flynn pirate film.  There's real energy and pace in the story, while I find The Sea Hawk rather talky and lagging in the middle.  Plus, no Olivia or Basil.  You can tell from the beginning of Captain Blood that those two are just hot for each other.  Basil's bad French accent and great fencing (not too much doubling in the duel scene) also make the movie more interesting.  ("Thees eez the rosary of pain.")  You can almost catch Flynn wiping the spittle out of his eye every time Baz says, "Mon Capitain!" Watching Basil this time around with my new vision and great HD TV,  I could see all the eyeliner and shadow around his eyes -- with the curly wig, swagger, and makeup, he's the model for Johnny Depp's character, makeup and all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I love his boots! 

You have to be pretty tall to wear thigh-high boots.  On me, the boot would be the whole length of my leg and I'd look like I was wearing chaps with shoes attached to the ends. 

My sister does ballroom dancing and they did a pirate number where she had to wear high boots like that.  She used some of the publicity stills of Olivia to model her costume.  Olivia (and my sister and I) was petite, so she had to roll the tops down.  Of course, they wanted to show some leg, too.  Poor girl, she hated doing these shots.

Oliviapirate.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rosebette said:

While The Sea Hawk has better production values, Captain Blood is my favorite Flynn pirate film.  There's real energy and pace in the story, while I find The Sea Hawk rather talky and lagging in the middle.  Plus, no Olivia or Basil.  You can tell from the beginning of Captain Blood that those two are just hot for each other.  Basil's bad French accent and great fencing (not too much doubling in the duel scene) also make the movie more interesting.  ("Thees eez the rosary of pain.")  You can almost catch Flynn wiping the spittle out of his eye every time Baz says, "Mon Capitain!" Watching Basil this time around with my new vision and great HD TV,  I could see all the eyeliner and shadow around his eyes -- with the curly wig, swagger, and makeup, he's the model for Johnny Depp's character, makeup and all.  

Lol yes.  I also prefer Captain Blood to The Sea Hawk.  

The Sea Hawk is good, I like Flora Robson and Claude Rains.  I also enjoy the antics of Flynn's monkey.  The galley scene featuring a shirtless Flynn is the highlight in my opinion.  The sword fight with the shadows projected on the wall is also a pretty cool effect.  I can't help but feel like Warner Brothers should have shelled out some more money and filmed this movie in color.  I think color would have greatly improved the spectacle that I feel this film was intended to be.  For me, the real drag in this film is Brenda Marshall.  She has a pretty face, but she just has no screen presence.  She's so bland--especially when in scenes with Flynn who has charisma oozing out of every pore. 

Basil Rathbone's pirate reminds me of Captain Hook for whatever reason.  I never thought of comparing him to Johnny Depp, but now I completely see it.  I also feel like Depp partially based his portrayal of Jack Sparrow on Keith Richards. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rosebette said:

My sister does ballroom dancing and they did a pirate number where she had to wear high boots like that.  She used some of the publicity stills of Olivia to model her costume.  Olivia (and my sister and I) was petite, so she had to roll the tops down.  Of course, they wanted to show some leg, too.  Poor girl, she hated doing these shots.

Oliviapirate.jpg

I don't blame her.  They're pretty corny and Olivia doesn't seem the type that would enjoy these cheesecake photos.  I'm sure Errol Flynn wasn't asked to pose shirtless while wearing his Captain Blood pants and perched atop a prop treasure chest. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings