Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Movie Depictions of True Stories

> {quote:title=Baker wrote:}{quote}

> Susan Hayward was so good in "I Want To Live Live". But the first that came to mind for me was Sissy Spacek in "Coal Miner's Daughter" A real gem of a performance!

Beyond a gem! Spacek didn't play Loretta Lynn, she became Loretta Lynn.

me too, mrroberts--I love A Night to Remember and hate that other movie. Tis the only fictional titanic movie worth watching.

Have you read the book, A Night to Remember? I'm reading it now and it's sooo interesting!

I totally agree with you, The original with Anne Bancroft was great. As for a TV movie the great Gary Sinese (SIC) portrayed Govenor George Wallace was one of the best performances based on true events that I have seen.My opinion only.

I just finished watching this one here at TCM

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang is a pre-Code 1932 crime/drama film in which Paul Muni stars as a wrongfully accused escapee from a chain gang. The film was written by Howard J. Green and Brown Holmes from Robert Elliott Burns's autobiography, I Am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang. It was directed by Mervyn LeRoy.

It's Good to Be Alive (1974)

Great film depicting the tragic accident of Roy Campanella when he played for the Dodgers. The struggle of overcoming his disability was truly inspiring.

There are a LOT of great films mentioned here. Along with HELTER SKELTER, I enjoyed the Richard Crenna made-for-TV AND THE SEA SHALL TELL, which was Bugliosi's second book's conversion into film. Another good book, another good film.

So many great reminders here in this thread - it heartens me to see them and tell myself there is little need to sensationalize items, and that many of these films handle the truth VERY well.

For many years I considered "Joe Hill" by Bo Widerberg my favorite film, but it's now been so long since I've seen it that I'm no longer inclined to say that. I saw it originally when it was a last-minute, unscheduled replacement for a Shirley MacLaine movie that the distributor was unable to supply for some reason. A couple of years later I hitchhiked from Cape Cod to see it at an MIT film society showing, which was the last I've heard of it. It's never been on video or DVD that I'm aware of. It followed a couple of years after "Elvira Madigan" had been such a big hit for him, but it never got nearly the same momentum going. Thommy Berrgren (sp?) from "Elvira" played Joe and was teriffic, but the fact that it was dubbed into English, though I believe it was shot mostly in the U.S., maybe consigned it to the "art" houses that played foreign films. They used Joan Baez's haunting version of the song "Joe Hill" under the opening credits, and the film itself continued in that respectful vein, really humanizing the person who is probably known best in song and legend. On my "bucket list" is seeing "Joe Hill" again before I die.