Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

List the "Great" Movies That You Find Overrated

Okay... just a few...

Annie Hall, Manhattan, The Godfather, Fargo, Chinatown, The Philadelphia Story, Spirited Away, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, Wings of Desire, Woman in the Dunes, Yojimbo, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Gandhi, Atlantic City, Persona, Cries and Whispers, The Last Picture Show, Cabaret, All That Jazz, American Graffiti, Barry Lyndon, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Apocalypse Now, Some Like It Hot, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, The Shawshank Redemption, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Ben-Hur, Grand Hotel, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Earth, Modern Times, The General, The Crowd, Freaks, Do the Right Thing, The Wild Bunch, Ugetsu, Harold and Maude, Koyaanisqatsi, Alien, Blazing Saddles, Battleship Potemkin... and several others.

I also agree with you that "The Philadelphia Story" and "Some Like it Hot" are overrated. I am one of the few people who enjoyed the "High Society" remake more than "The Philadelphia Story", and even though I am a huge Billy Wilder fan ("The Apartment", "Double Indemnity", and "Witness for the Prosecution" are all in my all-time top ten), I feel that "Some Like it Hot" is not all that great.

@finance - Some Like It Hot was really dated, predictable, and unfunny. It's basically just an excuse for Marilyn Monroe to parade around in skimpy clothing.

@patful - Nice try, but I'm not really named after that. To be honest, I've never even seen it - I'm waiting for the 210-minute version to be released.

I agree that ANNIE HALL is overrated---I saw it and thought, "so you're being postmodern. big deal. it's not hard to be postmodern"

And I still love Some LIke It Hot and Philadelphia Story---I think they are so well written (I'm picky about my screenwriting). But anything can seem overrated if you've heard a lot about it before you saw it or after you saw it, so I can understand that---that's what happened to me with *Lawrence of Arabia* and *Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid* ---hated them the first time, but now I'm warming up to them. I still think they're a bit overrated, but I can see what the big deal is, if you like that sort of thing.

My #! most overrated movie is *The Godfather* and its sequels----shut up already. Sheesh. It's not that cool. I guess it's a guy thing.

*"Metropolis , for one..."* - patful

Metropolis for all. Metropolis for ever!

"Droll" suits you, my friend. Perhaps too well but I like it.

And I'll add *Dr. Zhivago* - like I have every other time this topic comes up.

Kyle In Hollywood

Roman Holiday. It was a super boring film. I felt like time tripled when I watched it. Never could complete it (and I tried twice). It's Audrey Hepburn's worst. She did not deserve the Oscar.

Gigi. It's cute and enjoyable but by no means a Best Picture worthy film.

The Sound of Music. The first half was great, but the second half lingered a bit too much. I guess I'm not the biggest Julie Andrews fan.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> And I'll add *Dr. Zhivago* - like I have every other time this topic comes up.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

I'm with you on Zhivago; I'm still stuck in those winters you know. Why do I have to watch the suffering onscreen when I have it for real?

I'm still waiting for the garden to warm up..

Not only did Audrey win the Oscar for "Roman Holiday", but in the book about the 50 greatest male stars, it's considered one of Gregory Peck's five most memorable roles. ..I really liked it the first time I saw it, but it doesn't stand up to repeated viewings.

While I don't agree with a few movies listed (though I can see why y'all would think so), I do agree that *Dr Zhivago* is highly overrated. In fact, I hate it, and I'm sick of hearing about it. I know it's supposed to be a metaphor for the old and new Russia, but it glorifies adultery, and it does it in an annoying way. Sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...