Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITCHCOCKS BEST FILM THE 39 STEPS 1935

I am so surprised that 39 STEPS BY ALFRED HITCHCOCK DOES not get the respect that it once had.  When I was younger, Hitchcock fans absolutely adored the 39 Steps.  They would speak about the character Richard Hanney's (Robert Donat) adventures escaping a spy ring while searching for Mr. Memory to clear himself. Hitchcock knew about the Nazi menace in Europe before the rest of the world figured it out. Therefore, he made the spy ring and Mr, Memory a generic Fascist story.

Unfortunately,  It happens to be a British film so it now takes a backstages to Hitchcock's American film.

Here is the trailer for THE 39 STEPS.

• Like 2

here is another clip from the 39 STEPS> . You will notice what a letch Hitchcock was in this clip.  One more thing I will take the great MADELAINE CARROLL over Kim Novak any time.  Madelaine was extremely intelligent being a school teacher before she became an actress.  The only reason she quit acting was because her younger sister was killed during the LONDON BLITZ.  She then devoted her life to the war effort by opening her home to war orphans.  That is a noble woman.

You guys do not know that she was STERLING HAYDEN'S first wife.  They met while filming Virginia at Paramount.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/246751/39-Steps-The-Movie-Clip-We-re-The-Siamese-Twins.html

I don't know why it seems to have lost its reputation. During last year's Hitchcock online course it barely drew any mention, but it has remained my favorite of his films for decades. It's got all the little Hitchcock details that Hitch fans love: style, humor, tension, glamor. It also has lots of the Hitch trademark elements: the blonde, the train, the duplicitous officials, landmark set-pieces (Forth Bridge, Palladium), and the MacGuffin. And it has little touches to keep the cineastes intrigued: the quick scene cuts, the repeated shots of eyes and hands.

I do wish there were a copy of T39S with a clearer soundtrack. Some dialog is rather difficult to follow, but it doesn't diminish from the entertainment.

• Like 2

If this takes, this darn website has been knocking me out 7 of course whewn I just about to complete mny analysis

By the way & for your trivia genie Leonard Maltin loves that Uk version as his favouirite Hitch flick ever at #5 overall!

& for the record though hit's like a 3 way tie, but I went to catch VERTIUGO & on a Friday no less, only a buck too & all what seemed to be punks came it & even sold out-small dumpy theatre down here St. Pete, FL) & after the legendary ending all these kids jumped up & applauded & left!?

• Confused 1

For the Hitch terror, he always claimed 1943's SHADOW OF A DOUBT was his favorite. Somewhat underpinning 40yrs later to Lynch's BLUE VELVET in many ways. People really never know the underbelly of their quiet town, especially after darkness hits & Hopper without question portrayed thee #1 all-time villain & psycho & Lynch has had many since