Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fluff Flicks

CaveGirl

Okay, we are talking about "fluff" in the sense of a Doris and Rock flick now, and not fluffer flicks which is a whole other thing, not that I didn't think "The Devil in Miss Jones" was great. Even the most dedicated and serious Pasolini or Kalatozov follower occasionally needs a fluff flick to break the tedium of constantly delving into the human condition and seeing too many subtitles during the week from their dvd collection. A fluff flick is just what the doctor ordered, and can be a bromide to sedate one from too much seriousness in our quest for art on film.

Now remember, we are talking about fluff flicks and not flicks about fluffers or Flubber, though I will watch any movie with Tommy Kirk in it. Matter of fact, when he and Annette are both in a movie, it definitely could be filed in the fluff flick folder possibly.

Share your flick and if it is voted the best choice among posters, you will win a signed cd featuring the hits of Doris Kappelhoff!

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Okay, we are talking about "fluff" in the sense of a Doris and Rock flick now, and not fluffer flicks which is a whole other thing, not that I didn't think "The Devil in Miss Jones" was great. Even the most dedicated and serious Pasolini or Kalatozov follower occasionally needs a fluff flick to break the tedium of constantly delving into the human condition and seeing too many subtitles during the week from their dvd collection. A fluff flick is just what the doctor ordered, and can be a bromide to sedate one from too much seriousness in our quest for art on film.

Now remember, we are talking about fluff flicks and not flicks about fluffers or Flubber, though I will watch any movie with Tommy Kirk in it. Matter of fact, when he and Annette are both in a movie, it definitely could be filed in the fluff flick folder possibly.

Share your flick and if it is voted the best choice among posters, you will win a signed cd featuring the hits of Doris Kappelhoff!

Wait, let me switch over to Hallmark Channel. As you might guess, any movie with dogs in it is cool. If you are a cat person too or instead, then I must suggest "The Adventures of Milo and Otis." There are Disney dog films and the dogs do fluff. In a movie I have only seen the trailer for, the dog fluffs inside the truck. Checkout "Oddball."

31 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Wait, let me switch over to Hallmark Channel. As you might guess, any movie with dogs in it is cool. If you are a cat person too or instead, then I must suggest "The Adventures of Milo and Otis." There are Disney dog films and the dogs do fluff. In a movie I have only seen the trailer for, the dog fluffs inside the truck. Checkout "Oddball."

Hey there, Jimmy! You have introduced a wonderful adjunct to my fluff topic, with pets. Many of them are fluffy, like one of my favorite film dogs, the Shaggy Dog. I just checked IMDB and it was played by, ta da...Chiffon! Could there be a more fluffy name, almost as fluffy as a fluffernutter concoction made with Marshmallow Fluff! Too bad Chiffon's film career seemed to have gotten snuffed out after his/her great performance in this Disney classic.

The movie "The Shaggy Dog" definitely is fluff, and has a great cast and all good fluff movies need a character named Buzz, which in this one was played by Tim Considine and it also had that brat, Moochie as played by another one of the giant Corcoran child acting company. Sadly, they have removed the Hallmark Channel from my tv rotation, but I appreciate your remarks about TAOMAO and Oddball fitting into the "fluff" regime so...thanks!

I do love a good "fluff" picture.

One of my favorites are the 50s/60s teen beach movies: Gidget, Gidget Goes Hawaiian, the Beach Party films, all of that.  They're so much fun.  I can't get enough.

I don't know if melodrama can fall under fluff, but I also really enjoy the overwrought, emotional, dramatic, "angsty" melodramas of the 1950s.  I love them especially if they involve teenagers, like A Summer Place and Susan Slade.

I also love the 60s comedies that often start with an animated introduction with some crazy song playing over the credits.  I saw quite a few of these when I recorded the block of Paula Prentiss/Tim Hutton films a few weeks back. 

• Thanks 1

Hey there, Jimmy! You have introduced a wonderful adjunct to my fluff topic, with pets. Many of them are fluffy, like one of my favorite film dogs, the Shaggy Dog. I just checked IMDB and it was played by, ta da...Chiffon! Could there be a more fluffy name, almost as fluffy as a fluffernutter concoction made with Marshmallow Fluff! Too bad Chiffon's film career seemed to have gotten snuffed out after his/her great performance in this Disney classic.

The movie "The Shaggy Dog" definitely is fluff, and has a great cast and all good fluff movies need a character named Buzz, which in this one was played by Tim Considine and it also had that brat, Moochie as played by another one of the giant Corcoran child acting company. Sadly, they have removed the Hallmark Channel from my tv rotation, but I appreciate your remarks about TAOMAO and Oddball fitting into the "fluff" regime so...thanks!

The movies mentioned are not part of the Hallmark stuff. Milo & Otis is a film from Japan, and Dudley Moore does the narration. Not sure how I stumbled onto Oddball.

About Hallmark: They seem to get into feuds about costs with the satellite people. Comcast has not removed any channels that I am aware of. There are now 3 Hallmark Channels. Their "Drama" channel is available on Dish, and some streaming services. Hallmark Channel and their Movies & Mysteries Channel are also available to stream.

I am wondering if creating a Cord Cutting/Streaming Service thread would be useful. I haven't pulled the plug on Comcast yet, but since yesterday's technician told me they cannot fix the audio issues, I am looking at alternatives.

I was told yesterday, Comcast will be completely Internet based in the not too distant future. Rumors strongly suggest DirecTV (satellite) will morph into Internet. Dish Network is the company behind Sling TV.

Hallmark has a streaming service. I am not suggesting alternatives to TCM, just many ways to watch TV, including classic movies.

One of the fluff flicks I've enjoyed in the past would be Hollywood Canteen (1944).

Watching the many big stars of the time in it acting as if in a candid mode and as "just regular people", and for a good cause, I've found to be a lot of fun.

(...and FWIW...years ago I dated a gal for a while whose parents told me that they met at the Hollywood Canteen during WWII...her father being a sailor stationed for a while at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, and her mother volunteering her time as a waitress there...and so, every time I happen to catch this fluffy little film on TCM, I'm reminded of them)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

The movies mentioned are not part of the Hallmark stuff. Milo & Otis is a film from Japan, and Dudley Moore does the narration. Not sure how I stumbled onto Oddball.

About Hallmark: They seem to get into feuds about costs with the satellite people. Comcast has not removed any channels that I am aware of. There are now 3 Hallmark Channels. Their "Drama" channel is available on Dish, and some streaming services. Hallmark Channel and their Movies & Mysteries Channel are also available to stream.

I am wondering if creating a Cord Cutting/Streaming Service thread would be useful. I haven't pulled the plug on Comcast yet, but since yesterday's technician told me they cannot fix the audio issues, I am looking at alternatives.

I was told yesterday, Comcast will be completely Internet based in the not too distant future. Rumors strongly suggest DirecTV (satellite) will morph into Internet. Dish Network is the company behind Sling TV.

Hallmark has a streaming service. I am not suggesting alternatives to TCM, just many ways to watch TV, including classic movies.

Duh, I'm so dumb! I should have known that Milo and Otis was not from the Hallmark Channel, since all their movies are like fairy tale romances or about cutesy womanly issues like who will solve the murder at the craft store,  with titles like "Henrietta Finds Her Dream Man at the Automat".

For that reason, other than wanting to see something like old Perry Mason episodes they might run, I don't really need the Hallmark Channel. I do know someone who was a friend of my grandmother though, who worked for Old Man Hall who started Hallmark, from whence the phrase "When you care enough to send the very best" was based as I think it was on his tombstone, but she said that the phrase was not applicable since Old Man Hall was one of the meanest old scrooges she had ever met. Sorry...I went off topic.

You seem very knowledgeable about all the tv options now available to subscribers, so thanks for your input, since I am not, Jimmy. I did reboot my tv the other day though by unplugging everything, when they told me I would have to have a service person come visit, so I guess all is not lost.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I do love a good "fluff" picture.

One of my favorites are the 50s/60s teen beach movies: Gidget, Gidget Goes Hawaiian, the Beach Party films, all of that.  They're so much fun.  I can't get enough.

I don't know if melodrama can fall under fluff, but I also really enjoy the overwrought, emotional, dramatic, "angsty" melodramas of the 1950s.  I love them especially if they involve teenagers, like A Summer Place and Susan Slade.

I also love the 60s comedies that often start with an animated introduction with some crazy song playing over the credits.  I saw quite a few of these when I recorded the block of Paula Prentiss/Tim Hutton films a few weeks back. 

Yay! Another fan and one can always watch Moondoggie when they are a bit down and feel happy as he sings to Gidget while she is in the beachy abode of old man, Cliff Robertson. I also love seeing Frankie's hair helmet in those movies which never moves and looks like a black Brillo soap pad. Melodrama can definitely be in the fluff category and you picked two good ones, with ASP and SS, and any movie with Grant Williams has some fluff, as he is so cute. Paula Prentiss was always wonderful too. Thanks for your entries. You may still win the Doris Kapelhoff cd which was recorded at her mother's house in Cincinnati in 1948.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

One of the fluff flicks I've enjoyed in the past would be Hollywood Canteen (1944).

Watching the many big stars of the time in it acting as if in a candid mode and as "just regular people", and for a good cause, I've found to be a lot of fun.

(...and FWIW...years ago I dated a gal for a while whose parents told me that they met at the Hollywood Canteen during WWII...her father being a sailor stationed for a while at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, and her mother volunteering her time as a waitress there...and so, every time I happen to catch this fluffy little film on TCM, I'm reminded of them)

Besides the all-star cast how can a movie miss with extra highlights like having Helmut Dantine, Joe E. Brown, the Sons of the Pioneers, Peter Lorre and Trigger to regale viewers. The fluff here is the fun of having people like Diana Barrymore attending to the soldiers, and seeing which other celebs might be serving drinks and food or dancing with soldiers, or just joking around with everyone without their names even being mentioned in passing.

If that is the canteen movie, which has Carmen Cavallaro playing "Voodoo Moon" for the clubbers, it is a must see. Lots of fluff but fluff that was based on some real life situations that had wondrous outcomes like your story about your date's parents. Thanks, Dargo!

My favorite, and I don't want to stack the deck for the CD, Paula Prentiss film, also includes Rock Hudson, and yep, TCM has my permission to show it a little more often. Another favorite pet film includes the voice of Judy Garland, and that plays on TCM too.

Yay! Another fan and one can always watch Moondoggie when they are a bit down and feel happy as he sings to Gidget while she is in the beachy abode of old man, Cliff Robertson. I also love seeing Frankie's hair helmet in those movies which never moves and looks like a black Brillo soap pad. Melodrama can definitely be in the fluff category and you picked two good ones, with ASP and SS, and any movie with Grant Williams has some fluff, as he is so cute. Paula Prentiss was always wonderful too. Thanks for your entries. You may still win the Doris Kapelhoff cd which was recorded at her mother's house in Cincinnati in 1948.

Moondoggie is hot.  I can see why Gidget is into him.  I'd be into him too! She could have saved herself so much trouble at the luau if she would have just told Moondoggie that he was the object of her plan, instead of lying that she wanted Kahuna.  Cliff Robertson is kind of alluring in a way--I think it's his voice.  

Later on, James Darren appeared in The Time Tunnel in the 60s.  I had never heard of this show until I read about it on the ME-TV facebook page and discovered it was on Hulu! I've been watching it and it was a great show.  Too bad it was canceled after only one season due to high production costs. 

Frankie Avalon is hilarious in the Beach Party movies.  I love how Annette is always mad at him for one reason or another.  

I love the movies featured on the 50s/60s teen idols, which is pretty much all the teen beach movies.  But there are others here and there.  James Darren and Ricky Nelson are my favorites.  I also like Frankie Avalon and Fabian.  For the ladies, I love Sandra Dee, Annette Funicello and Ann-Margret (though I'm not sure if she's a teen idol).  

The teen idols of the 50s/60s are so much fun.  Much better than whatever passes as a teen idol these days.  Yuck!

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Moondoggie is hot.  I can see why Gidget is into him.  I'd be into him too! She could have saved herself so much trouble at the luau if she would have just told Moondoggie that he was the object of her plan, instead of lying that she wanted Kahuna.  Cliff Robertson is kind of alluring in a way--I think it's his voice.  

Later on, James Darren appeared in The Time Tunnel in the 60s.  I had never heard of this show until I read about it on the ME-TV facebook page and discovered it was on Hulu! I've been watching it and it was a great show.  Too bad it was canceled after only one season due to high production costs. 

Frankie Avalon is hilarious in the Beach Party movies.  I love how Annette is always mad at him for one reason or another.  

I love the movies featured on the 50s/60s teen idols, which is pretty much all the teen beach movies.  But there are others here and there.  James Darren and Ricky Nelson are my favorites.  I also like Frankie Avalon and Fabian.  For the ladies, I love Sandra Dee, Annette Funicello and Ann-Margret (though I'm not sure if she's a teen idol).  

The teen idols of the 50s/60s are so much fun.  Much better than whatever passes as a teen idol these days.  Yuck!

One should always be wary of guys who call themselves Kahuna, or the Big Kahuna!

I like all your choices too, and particularly Sandra Dee. When one thinks about her image of the time, and later songs like the one in "Grease" about Sandra Dee rhyming with "virginity" and then one reads a book about her and her relationship with her mother and males that came into her life at an early age when she was a child model, one realizes that she was a much better actress than probably given credit for. I personally think her film with Bobby Darin, "If a Man Answers" wherein she consults her mother on how to deal with Sandy's new hubby and mother gives her the book on training dogs, which works almost to perfection proving that giving a man a treat for good behaviour is not a bad idea, is still hilarious.

I bet James Darren is still good looking. Thanks for your post!

• Like 1

I have a real soft spot for sweet, harmless films or fluff films as you have it.  Vintage MGM musicals, Andy Hardy films, Disney films, Doris Day films, Rock Hudson comedies, romantic comedies of the 30s-60s and again in the 80s and 90s (they really didn't make many in the 70s, and the ones since 2000 have been hit and miss outside of the Richard Curtis-written ones....)

10 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

One should always be wary of guys who call themselves Kahuna, or the Big Kahuna!

I like all your choices too, and particularly Sandra Dee. When one thinks about her image of the time, and later songs like the one in "Grease" about Sandra Dee rhyming with "virginity" and then one reads a book about her and her relationship with her mother and males that came into her life at an early age when she was a child model, one realizes that she was a much better actress than probably given credit for. I personally think her film with Bobby Darin, "If a Man Answers" wherein she consults her mother on how to deal with Sandy's new hubby and mother gives her the book on training dogs, which works almost to perfection proving that giving a man a treat for good behaviour is not a bad idea, is still hilarious.

I bet James Darren is still good looking. Thanks for your post!

I think it's funny that Sandra Dee is so equated with "virginity" much like Doris Day.  Sandra definitely wasn't virginal in A Summer Place, since teen pregnancy is just one of the many of the main conflicts of that film.  Sandra also has four different men wanting to be the father of her baby in Doctor, You've Got to be Kidding! She also seemed to be rather progressive in Take Her, She's Mine when she writes a letter to her father lamenting that she's still a virgin. 

One of my favorites is That Funny Feeling where Sandra (a maid) cleans Bobby Darin's apartment (whom she's never seen or met) and ends up meeting him out on the street.  They begin dating and Sandra tells Bobby that his apartment is hers because she is embarrassed by her tiny apartment and thinks that her client's apartment is going to be empty for a couple weeks (Bobby had left a letter to his maid stating so).  Bobby then has to pretend that his boss' (Donald O'Connor) apartment is his.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I think it's funny that Sandra Dee is so equated with "virginity" much like Doris Day.  Sandra definitely wasn't virginal in A Summer Place, since teen pregnancy is among many of the main conflicts of that film.  Sandra also has four different men wanting to be the father of her baby in Doctor, You've Got to be Kidding! She also seemed to be rather progressive in Take Her, She's Mine when she writes a letter to her father lamenting that she's still a virgin. 

One of my favorites is That Funny Feeling where Sandra (a maid) cleans Bobby Darin's apartment (whom she's never seen or met) and ends up meeting him out on the street.  They begin dating and Sandra tells Bobby that his apartment is hers because she is embarrassed by her tiny apartment and thinks that her client's apartment is going to be empty for a couple weeks (Bobby had left a letter to his maid stating so).  Bobby then has to pretend that his boss' (Donald O'Connor) apartment is his.  

I love that one too!

Too bad that their marriage broke up. Maybe if Sandra had stopped making fun of Darin's hairpieces it would have lasted?

• Like 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I think it's funny that Sandra Dee is so equated with "virginity" much like Doris Day.  Sandra definitely wasn't virginal in A Summer Place, since teen pregnancy is among many of the main conflicts of that film.  Sandra also has four different men wanting to be the father of her baby in Doctor, You've Got to be Kidding! She also seemed to be rather progressive in Take Her, She's Mine when she writes a letter to her father lamenting that she's still a virgin. 

I remember that one well. That's the one where to get back at him toward the end, she arranges for a costume party for all his former flames to appear dressed up as "ladies of the night" as the saying goes, which ends up having some repercussions.....

• Like 1

Just now, CaveGirl said:

I love that one too!

Too bad that their marriage broke up. Maybe if Sandra had stopped making fun of Darin's hairpieces it would have lasted?

Lol. I know that Darin had a congenital heart issue and he battled with health issues his entire life.  I also read that Dee felt sideswiped by the divorce and never really recovered.  She didn't want the divorce.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I remember that one well. That's the one where to get back at him toward the end, she arranges for a costume party for all his former flames to appear dressed up as "ladies of the night" as the saying goes, which ends up having some repercussions.....

WAIT!!! Why have I never seen this movie?!!!!

(...says the dirty old man sitting at his keyboard here)

;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That scene is hilarious.  I loved all the women's costumes too! 

I also liked Sandra Dee's non-ladies of the night costume, her dress had a built-in cape! Who wouldn't want that?

I also like the scene when Sandra and her roommate try to make Duck a l'orange or whatever.  Sandra's satisfied with her attempt and then her roommate has to get crazy with the Cointreau and not only burns the crap out of the duck but almost burns down the kitchen! 

• Like 1

I'd like to take time to discretely correct CG in that I'm sure she meant to mention, in her OP, "The Devil AND Miss Jones", and not "The Devil IN Miss Jones".  The former is the venerable JEAN ARTHUR movie, and the latter, starring GEORGINA SPELVIN is more  "m u f f"  than "fluff".  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd like to take time to discretely correct CG in that I'm sure she meant to mention, in her OP, "The Devil AND Miss Jones", and not "The Devil IN Miss Jones".  The former is the venerable JEAN ARTHUR movie, and the latter, starring GEORGINA SPELVIN is more  "m u f f"  than "fluff".  ;)

Sepiatone

Actually Sepia, I'm pretty sure CG did use the preposition in the similarly titled movies in her OP that she meant to use.

You see, I'm pretty sure her reference to The Devil IN Miss Jones was in use to clarify that her thread's topic matter was not going to be about a certain type of "work" involved in the pornographic movie business...i.e. "a fluffer", but that her thread's subject matter was instead to be about the more lightweight movie fare of the past that we've still found to be entertaining.

I also have a feeling that CG knows the difference between the Jean Arthur starring movie and the Georgina Spelvin starring movie, and that she knows that the different word used in these two films' titles makes a world of difference as to which of them you could comfortably sit next to your Aunt Tillie and watch, and which one you couldn't.

(...but of course until CG sees our two posts here and chooses to reply, we won't know for sure...BUT, I'll betcha I'm RIGHT) ;)

Yes, she definitely references fluffer flicks in her very first sentence. This is a term that possibly not everyone knows nor especially needs to know! So, I'm not sure what it says about me that it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread. I can't even begin to explain it without half the words ending up in my final post looking like this: ****, ****, *******. Google it, if you really need to know!

(A year or two back, I used the word "squick" or "squickish" in a thread, which I just assumed everyone would know, and got several confused replies. I guess it essentially means being sexually aroused by something most people would find disgusting. Again, I don't know what it says about me that I knew that word!)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, she definitely references fluffer flicks in her very first sentence. This is a term that possibly not everyone knows nor especially needs to know! So, I'm not sure what it says about me that it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread. I can't even begin to explain it without half the words ending up in my final post looking like this: ****, ****, *******. Google it, if you really need to know!

(A year or two back, I used the word "squick" or "squickish" in a thread, which I just assumed everyone would know, and got several confused replies. I guess it essentially means being sexually aroused by something most people would find disgusting. Again, I don't know what it says about me that I knew that word!)

LOL

Well then sewhite, this must then make THREE of us here whose minds almost immediately went in this direction when we saw CG's thread title here.

You, me, and evidently CG TOO!

(...and 'cause SHE wouldn't have even mentioned the whole "fluffer" thing unless it almost immediately came to HER mind TOO, right?!) ;)

Well, I guess her thread title IS somewhat Rorschach in nature, because I TOO only thought it referred to "lightweight fare" in movie substance.

And, I've never heard that "squickish" word Sewhite mentions.  Sounds more like it would refer to a "gore" level in certain movies.  Like another form of "squeamish".

Nor too, the word "fluffer" in reference to any sort of pornographic film terminology.  

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings