Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Essential *Denzel"

Wanted to write this one for the obvious reason TCM is airing two-time OSCAR winning actor>*Denzel Washington's-(l954-) flix tomorrow & hoped it would be of interest to others here. His film debut was the flat 1981 comedy w/George Segal "Carbon Copy" Although it was likely due to the great tv series "St. Elsewhere" (NBC-1982-87) that really drew him attention. Below are his A.M.P.A.S. nods and wins to date. Plus, my own picks for his finest pictures he's been in so-far. OSCAR nominations & wins: 1987 "Cry Freedom"-(Best Supporting Actor nom.) 1989 *"Glory"-(won supporting actor) 1992 "Malcolm X'-(his first leading nom. & won just about every Pre-OSCAR Film Critics Award, but lost to *Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman") '99 "The Hurricane"-(2nd Best Actor shot) "Training Day"-(won his 2nd "Golden Boy' for this outright villianous role) "Essential top 5 pix" "Glory"-(this magnificent epic won 3 inc. his, but outrageously failed to even be up for the biggie that year!) "Courage Under Fire" (l996)-(who else has seen this powerful war film? He & Meg Ryan excel here) "American Gangster" (2007)-(only earned 2 nods. Ruby Dee and Art-Direction?) "Malcolm X" & "Crimson Tide"-(l995)-(this powerhouse sub pic. grossed $91m. & *Gene Hackman is superb as usual) Your thought please

If they simply had to pick a contemporary star to honor, there's very few out there who'd have been as fine a choice as Denzel Washington, without a doubt.

I just wish they could have also shown Much Ado About Nothing, in which Denzel demonstrated he wasn't just gorgeous and talented, but also had the range for Shakespearean roles.

Glad to see this appreciation of Denzel Washington.

I watched his movie ?Antwone Fisher? (2002). I wasn?t aware of this movie?s existence until two weeks ago when I found it on iControl (I think). What an amazing movie, a classic ?sleeper? of a movie.

I?ve read that many people who saw this movie in the movie theater actually cried and cheered. I can understand that. It certainly brought tears to my eyes.

Anyone who has experienced or witnessed serious child-abuse may find this a tough movie to watch.

The Navy psychiatrist (played by Denzel Washington), who refuses to write-off a disturbed sailor who, on the surface, appears to be a violent and abusive thug is an inspiration. My kind of Super-Hero. Derek Luke as Antwone Fisher is also worthy of note, as are all the cast members.

If this is the quality of work we can expect from director Denzel Washington, then, dammit, he should direct more movies.

I imagine he finds himself in the position of so many actors and directors etc. who have to make lesser ?Money? movies in order to finance projects closer to their hearts, as this obviously was for Denzel Washington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgewaRT_ow

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I love Denzel! The only movie that I didn't like was Training Day (okay don't everybody throw tomatos all at once.) I realize he won the Oscar but the plot line was absurd from a policing point of view. Anyway back to Denzel he is the Portier of our generation although in my humble opinion there will NEVER be another Portier. Again as I wipe tomato juice off of my screen I will reiterate I LOVE DENZEL!

I'm glad TCM aired a night of Denzel's movies. I'm upset at myself for missing The Mighty Quinn, though. I was so caught up in the amazing 3OT game between the Bulls and the Celtics that I forgot about this film (the only one I haven't seen from TCM's lineup). It looks good.

Denzel is definitely among the handful of stars of the past 25 years who will go down as a legend.

Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, The Hurricane, Glory, A Soldier's Story, Training Day, and Courage Under Fire are among my favorite Denzel films.

I don?t like ?Training Day? either. I don?t like to see Denzel as a mean villain. It would be like having to watch Cary Grant as a villain.

A really good modern noir mystery film Denzel was in was Devil in a Blue Dress (1995). It was about a murder in 1940s L.A. TCM aired it last year.

I forgot about Devil in a Blue Dress. Yes, that's very good. I also love Don Cheadle in it!

Denzel is starring in the remake of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three that will be released in theatres next month. I generally despise remakes, but he's the only reason I'll give this one a shot. DW is one of the few actors whose films I'll watch at least once (good or bad). That's how great he is on-screen.

I thought Courage Under Fire was such a moving film. A man trying to come back from something in his past and reconcile it to himself by truly doing the hard and needed investigation into Meg Ryan's actions. Truly a great film.