Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Movie Judge?

by judge I mean courtroom

My favorite is the judge in Anatomy of a Murder, probably because he's the real judge from the McCarthy hearings and that's why he got cast--he's just a cool guy. And since that movie was on hier I thought, I wonder what y'all think, since there are so many courtroom movies.

Who's your favorite movie judge?

I always find myself laughing outloud at Granville Bates in My Favorite Wife (1940). The courtroom scenes with Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Gail Patrick and Randolph Scott.

Some pretty good judges from the classic movies have been mentioned already.

Now I'd like to add one who, although from a contemporary movie, is played by a pro from the classic age: Judge Lena Foster, played by Lee Grant in Albert Brooks' Defending Your Life (1991).

They know her as "The Dragon Lady". Enough said. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPa4nQgHZk

You beat me to it, Kidd! He played classic frustrated confusion perfectly. The compact

mirror reflection in his eyes. Great touch!

Another one is Gene Lockhart in "Miracle on 34th Street". Making eye contact with William

Frawley's character to make sure he was doing what the political wheel wanted him to do.

The scene I liked was when he tried to get through the piles of letters stacked on his desk.

Gene Lockhart all-around great character actor.

Message was edited by: Bargar

And speaking of Jack Warden... one of my least favorite movie judges is, without a doubt, Milo O'Shea in The Verdict. There's one judge you wouldn't want presiding over your trial (if you're with the good guys!).

P.S. Nothing against O'Shea himself, mind you, I just checked and he's still with us, at 83. He was a lot of fun in Barbarella, too.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> one of my least favorite movie judges is, without a doubt, Milo O'Shea in The Verdict. There's one judge you wouldn't want presiding over your trial (if you're with the good guys!).

Yes, he played a real son of a bench. Of course, we have to remember that he was a "bagman for the boys downtown."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

As soon as I saw this post, the first person that came to my mind was the judge in "Anatomy of a Murder." How funny that the creator of this post said the exact same thing! And Edgar Buchanan in "Move Over Darling-" hilarious! One of his best performances!

"Well, what idiot declared this perfectly healthy woman dead?!"

"You did, sir..."

"Oh- strike my last remark..."

The judge from "Anatomy of a Murder" is Joseph Welsh. He was not a judge in real life, but he came to fame as head counsel for the U.S. Army during the famous Army-McCarthy Hearings" in 1954. Televising these hearings was something new and many people had never seen Senator Joe McCarthy who was forever on a commie witch hunt [James Gregory's character in "The Manchurian Candidate" was based on McCarthy} and he ruined many people's lives by labeling them as Communist.He didn't care who he slandered as long as he got his name in the papers. During the hearing he dropped the name of a young attorney who had joined a Lawyers Guild, which J.Edgar Hoover had said had Commie leanings. Joe Welsh jumped to the young mans defense and in a quite voice began attacking McCarthy. "He joined the NLG in College. It was a result of youthful indiscretion." He continued to attack McCarthy,never raising his voice and making the famous statement to the Senator " Have you no sense of decency Senator. At long last, Have you no sense of decency" McCarthy was taken back by this old man saying what many in the room though. He tried to regain his composure but he kept tripping over himself . The gallery burst into applause at this point. There is a excellent documentary on these hearings called "Point of Order" the phrase McCarthy kept repeating during the hearings. It was spellbinding television then....