Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE#13: LUCKY 13!*

*Was she used a lot in previous challenges?*

Helen,

No worries. She is one of Patful's most favorite actresses. We like to rib him about it when we can.

Oh, okay. I thought I'd done something hilariously wrong.

It was all I could do to keep from putting every film Richard Dix made on this list. I think I only have one of his on there. But I love him, ham and all.

okay, I just tried to figure out if a movie had been shown on TCM before and....I can't tell.... help?! The movie is Danny Kaye's "Wonder Man"---can someone tell me where on the page I can tell if it was ever shown before?

LP,

Go here (It's the link for the film in the TCM Database):

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=96239

On the left hand side of the page you will see the word Articles. If that word is in bold, then it means the film has played on TCM in the past and someone wrote an article about it either for the website or the *Now Playing* guide.

Chip,

Is there any great way to find and navigate short subject material? I know there's Prelinger but I'm finding it difficult to find shorts (easily) from the "eligible" libraries. I want to search specific subject matter and entire shorts libraries. Can you or anyone else give me some advice on this?

BTW, this is tough. I came into this with a lot of ideas but fitting everything into time slots and not leaving huge gaps is a challenge. I do respect the TCM programmers a lot (not that I didn't before).

You might want to try using the IMDb's power search to look for shorts.

There are any number of options that allow you to search for keywords, genre (in this case short), and studio all at the same time.

Sometimes there are no articles on films that have played on TCM in the past. I always Google the movie name and TCM or Turner Classic Movies just to be sure. Sometimes people post old schedules or comments in their blogs, and I've found quite a few "shown" movies this way.

When I did my schedule, I used IMDB.com a lot and if you want to use Fitzpatrick Traveltalks, Carey Wilson shorts, John Nesbitt's Passing Parade or Pete Smith (although I didn't use any of those) they're fairly easy to find by using their search engine and all of them are listed there with running times. Or you can use the search by plot which is another way I found some things by putting in keywords.

A great suggestion!

There are also many Vitaphone shorts that are within the libraries you're allowed (mainly WB), and those unfamiliar with some of the wonderful Vitaphone shorts might enjoy checking them out.

Many of the Vitaphone shorts starred vaudeville talent that is hard to find on film elsewhere.

Here's a good starting point to check out the Vitaphones: although the links to see the films on this site seem not to work, there's still a great list of shorts and descriptions of their plots --- little gems starring Cab Calloway, the Nicholas Brothers, Lillian Roth, the adorable Sybil Jason, Burns & Allen, Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy, plus Jane Wyman, Ronald Reagan, and even my beloved Judy Garland _at age 6_ (Judy's in *Bubbles* from 1930 --- while she was still named Frances Ethel Gumm!).

Your starting point:

http://www.doctormacro1.info/Movie%20Summaries/V/Vitaphone%20Shorts.htm

IMDb has more complete details on titles that interest you.

*...are we allowed to use films from Paramount and Universal?* - CineMaven

Only previously-shown films (or public domain?), otherwise, they count as premieres.

Thanks! All good ideas about shorts from everyone. Doctor Macro is a good idea too. If anyone has not been to his website, it's a must. Jerry has posted some fantastic stills--his own and other guest contributors' offerings (even a few from my own collection). It's a wonderful site for film buffs.

...are we allowed to use films from Paramount and Universal? - CineMaven

Only previously-shown films (or public domain?), otherwise, they count as premieres. -patful

patful is 100% correct here CM. Just clarifying that a public domain movie is acceptable without counting as a premiere regardless of whether it has previously aired on TCM.

The rules of this Challenge (at the beginning of this thread) explain what the deal is on Public Domain, and where the reference library is.

Chip...I am pulling my hair out.

Just so you'll know I might be bald after this is all said and done.

"Hey T., you cut off all your hair, why?"

ME: "Oh I didn't cut it. I pulled out my hair working on a Programming Challenge on a TCM Message Board."

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

That won't be a good look for me. Thanx!

I received a question via PM that I thought would be wise to answer to remind all:

For Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports, and TCM Underground, you can use films from any studio library. You are not restricted to the core libraries, and you do not have to count any of these films as Premieres.

Hope that's helpful!

Lonesome P, let your creativity run wild on "Location! Location!" Grouping movies by any city or state in the US is fair game. Any city or country outside the US is equally okay by me. And as a previous question alluded, if you come up with four movies set in space stations orbiting the planet, that's pretty darned creative too, and would be welcome.

I hope everyone is having fun!

And CineMaven, as you know I live in the East Village (one of the most, uh, Bohemian neighborhoods in Manhattan). A bald Black woman wouldn't raise an eyebrow among us locals. Just don't start talking about Gloria Grahame as a complete package in our hipster coffee shops --- or your cover is blown!

Archived