Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE#13: LUCKY 13!*

*I am pulling my hair out.* - CineMaven

Join the club. I didn't have much hair to start with, so I'm down to eyebrows and nosehairs. My fifth Challenge has me staring at the wall like David Puddy on *Seinfeld* .

Time for a break. I'll just stare at the wall with the computer off .

Why are y'all pulling your hair out? I'm having loads of fun!! In fact, I'm done except for adding all the annoying details (year, stars, etc). I'll have mine up in a couple days. I doubt it's good enough to win, but I'm here for the fun of it and not for the win. I just hope you all enjoy it. :)

We're at Weekend #2 of the Challenge! I wanted to offer a word of encouragement to all (and bump the thread up to the top).

Many people are trying their hand at this game for the first time, and let me again encourage newcomers to ask questions if something seems unclear or confusing. You can always PM me, but as you saw last weekend posting the question will get you speedy answers from other players who have been here before.

Have fun everyone!

Off track? I was derailed ! I had a good idea going with seven Firefox windows open on my movie choices. Opened one more and up popped the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. Took me all afternoon to track down a bad memory stick. Now I have to gather all the info to get my replacement from the manufacturer. In the meantime, I completely forgot my brilliant idea! This Challenge isn't going well.

I would have liked to have had more time with this, to smooth out the rough spots, find some moon colonies that looked reasonably similar (for Location! Location!), and use all the allowable premieres. Alas, life is what happens when you're making other plans. It's probably no big loss -- this is my first stab at a Challenge, so I'm on a learning curve and probably couldn't nail it no matter how much time I spent tweaking.

Programming notes will follow in another post, but there is something I should explain outright: my theme of the month is character actors, similar to TCM's "Summer Under the Stars." I wanted to give each one half a day, but because of the two Challenges and the regular programming blocks, some get only a few hours. Also, there are some unassociated movies to fill in the tag-ends created by the guest and underground slots. If a "Star of the Month" is an absolute requirement, consider it Judith Anderson (Monday's primetime) -- she wasn't billed as the lead in any of those movies, but they wouldn't have been the same without her.

Hope you enjoy!

Week of August 22-28, 2010 (completely arbitrary)

Sunday

*James Gleason*

6:00 am *Arsenic and Old Lace* (1944) dir. Frank Capra, starring Cary Grant, WB, 118 min.

8:00 am *A Tree Grows in Brooklyn* (1945) dir. Elia Kazan, starring Dorothy McGuire, Fox, 128 min., p/s

10:10am *A Date with the Falcon* (1942) dir. Irving Reis, starring George Sanders, RKO, 63 min.

11:15 am *Suddenly* (1954) dir. Lewis Allen, starring Frank Sinatra, UA, 75 min.

12:35pm *The Ex-Mrs. Bradford* (1936) dir. Stephen Roberts, starring William Powell, RKO, 80 min.

2:00 pm *Here Comes Mr. Jordan* (1941) dir. Alexander Hall, starring Robert Montgomery, Columbia, 94 min

3:40 pm *The Clock* (1945) dir. Vincente Minnelli, starring Judy Garland, MGM, 90 min.

*Wilfrid Hyde-White*

5:15 pm *Conspirator* (1950), dir. Victor Saville, starring Robert Taylor, MGM, 85 min.

6:45 pm *Lambeth Walk* (1939) dir. Albert de Courville, starring Lupino Lane, MGM, 67 min.

Primetime (Wilfrid Hyde-White continues)

8:00 pm *The Third Man* (1950) dir. Carol Reed, starring Joseph Cotten, London Film Prod. Ltd. 105 min. p/s

9:45 pm *North West Frontier* (1959) dir. J. Lee Thompson, starring Kenneth More, JA Rank, 129 min.

Silent Sunday Night

Midnight *The Crowd* (1928) dir. King Vidor, starring Eleanor Boardman, MGM, 98min

1:40 am Shorts *Cherry Blossom Time in Japan* (1936) James A. FitzPatrick, MGM, 7 min.

*Floral Japan* (1937) James A. FitzPatrick, MGM, 9 min

TCM Imports

2:00 am *The Black Cat* (1968) dir. Kaneto Shindo, starring Kichiemon Nakamura, Toho, 99 min.

3:40 am *The Hidden Fortress* (1958) dir. Akira Kurosawa, starring Minoru Chiaki, Toho, 139 min.

Monday

*Alan Hale*

6:00 am *The Prince and the Pauper* (1937) dir. William Keighley, starring Errol Flynn, WB, 115 min.

8:00 am *Footsteps in the Dark* (1941) dir. Lloyd Bacon, starring Errol Flynn, WB, 69 min.

9:15 am *It Happened One Night* (1934) dir. Frank Capra, starring Claudette Colbert, Columbia, 105 min.

11:00 am *The Sea Hawk* (1940) dir. Michael Curtiz, starring Errol Flynn, WB, 127 min.

1:15 pm *Fog Over Frisco* (1934) dir. William Dieterle, starring Bette Davis, WB, 68 min.

2:30 pm *Imitation of Life* (1934) dir. John M. Stahl, starring Claudette Colbert, Universal, 116 min., p/s

4:30 pm *The Adventures of Robin Hood* (1938) dir. Michael Curtiz, starring Errol Flynn, WB, 104 min.

6:15 pm *The Inspector General* (1949) dir. Henry Koster, starring Danny Kaye, WB, 102 min., p/s

Primetime

*Judith Anderson*

8:00 pm *Rebecca* (1940) dir. Alfred Hitchcock, starring Laurence Olivier, UA, 130min. p/s

10:15 pm *Laura* (1944) dir. Otto Preminger, starring Gene Tierney, Fox, 87 min., Premiere

11:45 pm *Salome* (1953) dir. William Dieterle, starring Rita Hayworth, Columbia, 103min.

1:30 am *The Strange Love of Martha Ivers* (1946) dir. Lewis Milestone, starring Barbara Stanwyck, PD, 117 min.

3:30 am *Free and Easy* (1941) dir. George Sidney, starring Robert Cummings, MGM, 55 min.

4:30 am *Forty Little Mothers* (1940) dir. Busby Berkeley, starring Eddie Cantor, MGM, 88min.

Tuesday

*Eugene Pallette*

6:00 am *The Bride Came C.O.D.* (1941) dir. William Keighley, starring James Cagney, WB, 92 min.

7:35 am *The Dragon Murder Case* (1934) dir. H. Bruce Humberstone, starring Warren William, WB, 67 min.

8:45 am *The Male Animal* (1942) dir. Elliott Nugent, starring Henry Fonda, WB, 101 min.

10:30 am *He Stayed for Breakfast* (1940) dir. Alexander Hall, starring Loretta Young, Columbia, 89 min.

Noon *My Man Godfrey* (1936) dir. Gregory La Cava, starring William Powell, PD, 94 min.

1:40 pm *The Lady Eve* (1941) dir. Preston Sturges, starring Barbara Stanwyck, Paramount, 94 min., p/s

3:15 pm *The Fighting Edge* (1926) dir. Henry Lehrman, starring Kenneth Harlan, WB, 55 min.

4:10 pm *The Half Naked Truth* (1932) dir. Gregory La Cava, starring Lupe Velez, RKO, 77 min.

5:30 pm *I've Got Your Number* (1934) dir. Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, WB, 69 min.

6:40 pm *Storm at Daybreak* (1933) dir. Richard Boleslawski, starring Kay Francis, MGM, 78 min.

Primetime

Guest Programmer -- Triela

8:00 pm *My Neighbor Totoro* (1988) dir. Hayao Miyazaki, starring Noriko Hidaka, Studio Ghibli, 86 min. p/s

9:35 pm *Seconds* (1966) dir. John Frankenheimer, starring Rock Hudson, Paramount, 106 min. Premiere

11:30 pm *Cat People* (1942) dir. Jacques Tourneur, starring Simone Simon, RKO, 73 min.

12:45 am *La Femme Nikita* (1990) dir. Luc Besson, starring Anne Parillaud, Gaumont, 115 min. Premiere

2:45 am *Tovarich* (1937) dir. Anatole Litvak, starring Claudette Colbert, WB, 92 min.

4:20 am *In a Lonely Place* (1950) dir. Nicholas Ray, starring Humphrey Bogart, Columbia, 94 min.

Wednesday

*Alan Mowbray*

6:00 am *A Yank at Eton* (1942) dir. Norman Taurog, starring Mickey Rooney, MGM, 88 min.

7:30 am *The King's Thief* (1955) dir. Robert Z. Leonard, starring Ann Blyth, MGM, 79 min.

8:50 am *Topper* (1937) dir. Norman Z. McLeod, starring Constance Bennett, MGM, 98 min.

10:30 am *The Prince of Thieves* (1948) dir. Howard Bretherton, starring Jon Hall, Columbia, 72 min.

11:45 am *Music in My Heart* (1940) dir. Joseph Santley, starring Rita Hayworth, Columbia, 70 min.

1:00 pm *Merton of the Movies* (1947) dir. Robert Alton, starring Red Skelton, MGM, 83min.

2:25 pm *Curtain Call* (1940) dir. Frank Woodruff, starring Barbara Read, RKO, 63 min.

3:30 pm *The King and the Chorus Girl* (1937) dir. Mervyn LeRoy, starring Joan Blondell, WB, 95 min.

5:15 pm *Every Girl Should Be Married* (1948) dir. Don Hartman, starring Cary Grant, RKO, 84 min.

6:45 pm *Jewel Robbery* (1932) dir. William Dieterle, starring William Powell, WB, 70min.

Primetime

*S. Z. Sakall*

8:00 pm *Sugarfoot* (1951) dir. Edwin L. Marin, starring Randolph Scott, WB, 80 min., Premiere

9: 25 pm *Ball of Fire* (1941) dir. Howard Hawks, starring Barbara Stanwyck, RKO, 112 min.

11:20 pm *Wonder Man* (1945) dir. Bruce Humberstone, starring Danny Kaye, RKO, 98 min

1:00 am *My Love Came Back* (1940) dir. Kurt Bernhardt, starring Olivia de Havilland, WB, 85 min.

2:30 am *Casablanca* (1943) dir. Michael Curtiz, starring Humphrey Bogart, WB, 103 min.

4:15 am *Christmas in Connecticut* (1945) dir. Peter Godfrel, starring Barbara Stanwyck, WB, 102 min.

Thursday

*Harry (Henry) Morgan*

6:00 am *My Six Convicts* (1952) dir. Hugo Fregonese, starring Millard Mitchell, Columbia, 105 min.

7:45 am *Strange Bargain* (1949) dir. Will Price, starring Martha Scott, RKO, 68 min.

9:00 am *It Started with a Kiss* (1959) dir. George Marshall, starring Glenn Ford, MGM, 104 min.

10:45 am *It Shouldn't Happen to a Dog* (1945) dir. Herbert I. Leeds, starring Carole Landis, RKO, 70 min.

Noon *How the West Was Won* (1963) dir. John Ford et al, starring Carroll Baker, MGM, 155 min.

2:35 pm *Scandal Sheet* (1952) dir. Phil Karlson, starring Broderick Crawford, Columbia, 82 min.

4:00 pm *Inherit the Wind* (1960) dir. Stanley Kramer, starring Spencer Tracy, UA, 127 min.

6:15 pm *The Cat from Outer Space* (1978) dir. Norman Tokar, starring Ken Berry, Disney, 104 min.

Primetime

*Oscar Levant*

8:00 pm *The Band Wagon* (1953), dir. Vincente Minnelli, starring Fred Astaire, MGM, 113 min.

9:55 pm *An American in Paris* (1951) dir. Vincente Minnelli, starring Gene Kelly, MGM, 113 min.

11:50 pm *Humoresque* (1947) dir. Jean Negulesco, starring Joan Crawford, WB, 125 min.

2:00 am *The Cobweb* (1955) dir. Vincente Minnelli, starring Richard Widmark, MGM, 134 min.

4:15 am *Romance on the High Seas* (1948) dir. Michael Curtiz, starring Doris Day, WB, 99 min.

Friday

*Edward Everett Horton*

6:00 am *Down to Earth* (1947) dir. Alexander Hall, starring Rita Hayworth, Columbia, 101 min.

7:45 am *The Body Disappears* (1941) dir. D. Ross Lederman, starring Jeffrey Lynn, WB, 75 min.

9:00 am *I Married an Angel* (1942) dir. W. S. Van Dyke II, starring Jeanette MacDonald, MGM, 85 min.

10:30 am *Top Hat* (1935) dir. Mark Sandrich, starring Fred Astaire, RKO, 101 min.

12:15 pm *Thank Your Lucky Stars* (1943) dir. David Butler, starring Humphrey Bogart, WB, 143 min.

2:40 pm *Roar of the Dragon* (1932) dir. Wesley Ruggles, starring Richard Dix, RKO, 76 min.

4:00 pm *The Front Page* (1931) dir. Lewis Milestone, starring Adolph Menjou, PD, 100 min.

5:45 pm *Lost Horizon* (1937) dir. Frank Capra, starring Ronald Colman, Columbia, 133 min.

Primetime

*13 Dry Years*

8:00 pm *The Roaring Twenties* (1939) dir. Raoul Walsh, starring James Cagney, WB, 106 min.

9:50 pm *The Public Enemy* (1931) dir. William A. Wellman, starring James Cagney, WB, 83 min

11:15 pm *City Streets* (1931) dir. Rouben Mamoulian, starring Gary Cooper, Columbia, 83 min

12:40 am *The Little Giant* (1933) dir. Roy Del Ruth, starring Edward G. Robinson, WB, 76 min

Underground

2:00 am *Throne of Blood* (1957) dir. Akira Kurosawa, starring Toshir? Mifune, Toho, 110 min

3:55 am *Lady L* (1966) dir. Peter Ustinov, starring Sophia Loren, MGM, 124 min.

Saturday

*Location! Location!*

6:00 am *The Saint in London* (1939) dir. John Paddy Carstairs, starring George Sanders, RKO, 72 min.

7:15 am *The Lone Wolf in London* (1947) dir. Leslie Goodwins, starring Gerald Mohr, Columbia, 67 min.

8:25 am *Whispering Smith Hits London* (1951) dir. Francis Searle, starring Richard Carlson, RKO, 77 min.

9:45 am *The Dark Eyes of London* (1940) dir. Walter Summers, starring Bela Lugosi, PD, 76 min.

*Rudy Vallee*

11:05 am *The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer* (1947) dir. Irving Reis, starring Cary Grant, RKO, 95 min.

12:45 pm *Gold Diggers in Paris* (1938) dir. Ray Enright, starring Rosemary Lane, WB, 100 min.

2:30 pm *My Dear Secretary* (1949) dir. Charles Martin, starring Kirk Douglas, PD, 94 min.

4:10 pm *I Remember Mama* (1948) dir. George Stevens, starring Irene Dunne, RKO, 137 min

6:30 pm *The Palm Beach Story* (1942) dir. Preston Sturges, starring Claudette Colbert Paramount, 88 min., p/s

Essentials

8:00 pm *The Grapes of Wrath* (1940) dir. John Ford, starring Henry Fonda, Fox, 129 min. Premiere

*Lee Patrick*

10:15 pm *Visit to a Small Planet* (1960) dir. Norman Taurog, starring Jerry Lewis, Paramount, 85 min. Premiere

11:45 pm *Now, Voyager* (1942) dir. Irving Rapper, starring Bette Davis, WB, 118 min.

1:45 am *7 Faces of Dr. Lao* (1964) dir. George Pal, starring Tony Randall, MGM, 100 min.

3:30 am *Smiling Ghost* (1941) dir. Lewis Seiler, starring Wayne Morris, WB, 71 min.

4:45 am *Fisherman's Wharf* (1939) dir. Bernard Vorhaus, starring Bobby Breen, RKO, 72 min.

Let the derision begin! ;)

(Please understand that this is something of a rough draft -- I expected to have much more time to revise and refine it, especially the 'interview' with the guest programmer.)

Programming notes for my schedule:

A good character actor does more than just fill space. Just as you're known by the company you keep, the people who surround the movie's leading man tells a lot about him. If the second-billings are bland, the most-talented star is no more exciting than eating caviar out of a tin can.

TCM devotes one month a year to "Summer Under the Stars," highlighting a single star each day. I've long thought the same sort of recognition should be given to those who rarely, if ever, starred in a movie. An interesting truth, though, is that there are far more great character actors than there are top stars. To accommodate this fact, I scheduled, as far as I was able, half a day to each.

I tried to choose films which showed their diversity. An example of this in Sunday's schedule: in *Suddenly,* James Gleason is brave and crafty, in *The Ex-Mrs. Bradford* he fills a familiar role as a bantering detective, and in *Here Comes Mr. Jordan* he's constantly befuddled and bewildered.

For each actor, I selected a few movies which I felt I had to include to show their range, a few more which were simply brilliant, some that I particularly enjoy, and others that I might need to get the time slots worked out. This meant over twenty films for each one, and I only had room for four to ten. Ouch!

I also had to completely forgo some wonderful performers because too few of their films are in the acceptable libraries. I could have used all the permitted premieres for any one of a dozen people who sprang to mind, from Binnie Barnes to Wilhelm Bendow to Masayuki Mori.

As I began checking available movies, I was disappointed to see that so many I wanted are going to appear soon, so it looks like I'm cribbing from next month's schedule. :(

Combining "Location!Location!" with Saturday morning series seemed a good idea, especially if the other Saturdays of the month showed detectives in different cities around the world (virtually every sleuth worth their salt has been to San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Paris).

I was reasonably sure that most other entrants would concentrate on 'unlucky' factors for the "13" night and I must admit my first thought was to show a menagerie of black cats. A newspaper article about a local moonshiner gave me the idea for "13 Dry Years," particularly since prohibition/bootleggers is always a popular theme.

The "Silent" wasn't a difficult choice -- it's my least favorite genre, and those few that I love have only poor prints available, so I simply looked through the discussion boards until I found a film that everyone who prefers silents apparently likes.

The shorts on Sunday night, just before the "Imports," are a counterpoint -- they show the beauty and tranquility of Japan right before you watch the scariest ghost story ever filmed there. I had to follow it up with a comedy to prevent people from having nightmares.

I had to provide the same restorative for the "Underground" film. *Throne of Blood* will freeze your bones, so an English comedy with an Italian beauty should thaw you out again. :)

Much of the timing was dictated by my natural bent towards engineering. I tried to start as many movies as possible at the top and bottom of the hour, but I rebel at the idea of having 13 minutes of non-program time just to start a movie at a quarter instead of five after. Also, with TIVO and the other technology that lets you catch a movie whenever it starts, I don't see the 'quarters' being as essential as they were ten or fifteen years ago.

The buffer between movies is generally 2 to 6 minutes. In the few cases where two of them do butt up against one another, the later one has enough free room at its tail end that it can afford to start a bit after its scheduled time.

The schedule is far less than ideal. If I had a broadband connection and deeper access to databases, I could have blended the transitions and checked for more "previously shown" features. Also, I know far too little about the length of promos, news, and other interstitials to create a schedule that readily accommodates them.

Oh, well. :(

About the "Guest Programmer" --

Her name is Triela. She's a teenage girl and a character on *Gansuringa Garu,* a Japanese TV show. Having Robert Osborne sit opposite her would be problematic, so the introductions would probably be handled by having an interviewer off-screen.

Question: Your first pick is *My Neighbor Totoro,* a wonderful film from 1988 by Hayao Miyazaki. What made you to choose it?

Triela: It's one of the few great movies where there are no bad guys. The conflicts all come from events in many people's lives -- moving to a new home, having their mother in the hospital, and the little sister getting lost. It would be easy for such a film to turn into a tearjerker, but Hayao kept it lively, interesting, and funny.

Question: Since none of those things ever happened to you, do you find it difficult to identify with the characters?

Triela: Even though I don't remember a real home, my mother, or any sisters I might have, I can easily see myself as Satsuki. I'm the oldest girl at the Social Welfare Agency, so it's sort of like her situation with her little sister. I don't mother the other girls, but I feel a certain responsibility towards them. Also, the way I reacted when I first saw the Totoro in the movie was exactly like hers when she met him. He's like the biggest, best teddy bear ever.

Question: Is there a connection between your favorite movie being a Japanese animation and the fact that you're an animated character on TV in Japan?

Triela: I don't see any. I'm not Japanese, my series is set in Italy. And the girls in the movie can shout and play and make new friends. It's important that I go unnoticed in public, most of my time is spent studying and training, and when I do meet someone outside the Agency, it usually doesn't end well. We're really at opposite ends of the spectrum.

(Roll movie)

Question: Your next pick is *Seconds,* a 1966 John Frankenheimer movie starring Rock Hudson. What drew you to this film?

Triela: I first watched it because I heard it was about someone who went through a transformation: surgery to change their appearance, documents to establish a new identity, and relocated far from his home. I was expecting it to parallel my own life, to give me insights into how I might have handled some things differently. Unfortunately, there was no comparison. He chose to be operated on, but I would be dead if the Social Welfare Agency hadn't decided to provide me with advanced medical care. He was bent on having a good time, doing whatever he wanted. I have a sense of duty, of purpose. And in the end, he opted out while I never quit what I start.

Question: So why is this one of your favorite movies?

Triela: The writing, acting, and staging are very compelling. We watch him go through the entire range of emotions, and his external world is so often at odds with what he's feeling. There are many layers to it besides the obvious moral that changing things in your life isn't a way to make yourself happy. There are much deeper issues, if only you open yourself up to them.

Question: Did changing your life make you happy?

Triela: I wouldn't say that. They tell me that my old life was miserable in the extreme, so the fact that I'm alive and healthy is a great plus. I don't think any of us girls at the Social Welfare Agency are happy, but we're not unhappy, if you can see the difference. It's more like we've accepted things as they are and found a way to be content, something that Rock Hudson, in this movie, couldn't do.

(Roll movie)

Question: Your third pick is *Cat People* from 1942. Do you like horror movies?

Triela: Not really. What attracts me is how misunderstood she is. Her fears are very, very real, but other people think she's deranged. She loves a man as deeply as any woman ever has, but she has the strength of character to avoid physical passion because of the consequences. Not only is it tormenting her, she's being persecuted for being so noble.

Question: So you see her as a victim?

Triela: Undoubtably. The real horror in this movie isn't the threat of an attack by a blood-crazed werecat, it's that people are so quick to judge others without even trying to understand their heritage. That's what sends tingles up my spine.

(Roll movie)

Question: The last movie you chose is *La Femme Nikita* from 1990, directed by Luc Besson and starring Anne Parillaud. As a teenage girl, what attracts you to this rather adult film?

Triela: I guess it's mostly how much she stays the same despite everything about her life changing. Girls my age know a lot about that.

Question: The film begins by showing that she's a drug-crazed murderer, then she's cleaned up and made a government employee. It ends with her running away because she's too deeply moral to keep doing her new job. Why do you think she stays the same?

Triela: Her life started before the movie opens. She grew up knowing right from wrong, and she never wanted to hurt anyone. When we first see her, all that had been overshadowed by drugs and lust. The life the government gave her wasn't, to her, very different -- they blurred the lines of morality, making the most horrendous actions justifiable if it served their ends. She finally realized she had to leave behind everyone telling her how to live if she wanted to be herself, to practice what she believed in when she was a little girl.

Question: What's your favorite scene in the movie?

Triela: Definitely when she was in the grocery store. She had never led a 'normal' life, taking care of herself properly, so she was totally lost as to what to buy. When she started following someone else and taking loads of the same things they chose, it was hilarious.

(Roll movie)

Misc. info:

Other character actors I wanted to use, but didn't have the room for:

Eric Blore, Ward Bond, Charles Victor, Thelma Ritter, Harry Davenport, Felix Bressart, Ralph Bellamy, Cecil Parker, Charles Coburn, Barry Fitzgerald, and many, many others.

Retrospectives, interviews, and other such material -- I'm not a big fan of anything other than the movies themselves.

Shorts: There were several that I really wanted to add, but they're mostly modern (like *Anita Liberty* and *Opera No. 1* (by Hal Hartley)), and I couldn't find a database that could give me the running time of a lot of the older newsreels, cartoons, and other things I'd like to include.

An interesting dichotomy -- in most cases, the actors who should be showcased with the most movies are also those who should be in primetime, which is four hours shorter.

Message was edited by: Capuchin Because no matter how many times you proofread something, there's always a typo or two lurking.

A nice first effort, Capuchin! Anyone reading my old schedules knows I'm a sucker for character actors, and yours is chock full of them. And I'm very glad you left out a prominent one, one of my current birthday tributes. Your treatment of the "13" theme was very innovative, too. I still have no ideas for mine.

*...I don't see the 'quarters' being as essential as they were ten or fifteen years ago.*

But that's one of our rules, and the challenge that the programmers, both real and us, face when creating schedules. The engineer in me enjoys fitting everything into neat little slots, and if they don't fit, finding an appropriate short or cartoon to fill in the space. Please don't take it as anything more than constructive criticism. It won't affect my voting. This time . :-)

Fun schedule!

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

>

> *...I don't see the 'quarters' being as essential as they were ten or fifteen years ago.*

>

> But that's one of our rules, and the challenge that the programmers, both real and us, face when creating schedules.

I know I was taking liberties, but I balanced it against three factors:

1) The challenge rules say: *Feature films _generally_ start . . .* (emphasis mine). I'm one of those people who, if you give us an inch, we think we're a ruler. If there's a little quibble that I can turn to my advantage, I usually go for it.

2) On my first pass through, obeying the quarter-hours strictly, I found I was losing at least one excellent movie a day and having to settle for a film whose greatest merit is that it's the right length. Since this is the first time I'm entering the challenge, I felt I had to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible, and that people (i.e. voters) would be influenced more by the selections than by technicalities. Part of the learning curve on things like this is finding out exactly what you can get away with.

3) I'm shameless. :)

I can't wait to see who you chose for your birthday tribute. I'm glad I didn't use someone you wanted, and it'll be interesting to see if I would have picked the same movies to showcase them.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Capuchin, very innovative use of "13!"

Thanks! I have to admit it was just luck that I ran across the fact that Prohibition lasted 13 years. I jumped on it because I wanted something different, and I really, really wanted to include *The Roaring Twenties* in a primetime slot.

I'm afraid the "Location! Location!" is something of an afterthought, but I was caught totally unprepared by something I never expected -- information on the Internet disappeared!

There was a great database of stills from science fiction movies, and I was going to use it to find some bases on the moon that looked vaguely similar and/or were in the same area. I was thinking of showing a progression, like if I was using NYC as a location, one movie would be a historical about the purchase of Manhattan, the next an Our Gang feature, then a Fifth Avenue comedy, and ending with a modern crime drama.

But when I used the old link, it showed a 'This site for sale' notice, and none of my searches uncovered it or anything similar. :(

I don't think the combination of series on a Saturday morning and Location is a bad idea, it's just not what I exactly hoped for.

I really enjoyed your schedule. 13 dry years was a terrific idea and your use of character actors was really great. I enjoy so many character actors and would love to see more tributes to them on TCM. What would the films be without them?

Now it's off to my desk to try and create something approaching what you and Helen have achieved. So far I've got two days finished and a problematic 1-hour slot to fill in another day.

Great choice of movies and theme----I love character actors! And any schedule that inculdes Capra AND Kirosawa AND Miyazaki AND Preston Sturgess is pretty cool.

My schedule will be up as soon as I finish filling in the ruddy studios (which I didn't realize til yesterday).

Here are some tips for your problem hour, Countess:

-Many of the series films like the Blondie movies clock in at just over an hour --- one may fit if you have an extra five minutes

-You can always program one of the Robert Osborne interviews

-You might do an IMDB search on a favorite star and compile enough shorts to fill the hour ... maybe the star of the next film airing. I did this in the last Challenge with Shirley Temple's Baby Burlesks.

-Another idea is to search for a favorite director and do the same thing. Many important directors started their careers directing with short subjects. Others did patriotic shorts in WWII --- William Wyler's *The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress* , at 45 minutes, could help you out.

-Laurel and Hardy, Our Gang, The Three Stooges --- all have films of varying lengths

-Older silents are another area to explore

Also, you might look at the musical shorts that most studios produced. It's particularly fun when you find rare footage of stars like Billie Holiday.

Here's a link to a heap of Vitaphone titles. The outgoing links from that site don't appear to work, but you can scan the titles and see if any strike you enough to IMDB them.

http://www.doctormacro1.info/Movie%20Summaries/V/Vitaphone%20Shorts.htm

"The buffer between movies is generally 2 to 6 minutes. In the few cases where two of them do butt up against one another, the later one has enough free room at its tail end that it can afford to start a bit after its scheduled time." - Capuchin.

You have absolutely and exactly stated an issue I am having with my programming schedule...and I have solved it the same way. Congratulations on finishing your schedule. You've listed a lot of my favorite character actors...and I love your locations.

Great job!! There is a reason they call it a challenge. You've upped the ante.

:-( I hate you! :-(

Just kidding... ;-) Congrats!

Thanks, Chip,

All great ideas to fill odd time slots. I finally resolved the issue by using a TCM documentary

(1 hour long), which ties into the subsequent film and new theme at 6:00 am.

I'm getting close. I got a lot of work done today but there's still more to do. I'm hoping to post my schedule within a week or so.

*...and I have solved it the same way.* - CineMaven

Another scofflaw?! Ooooh, you'd better be glad I didn't host this one, there'd be a broken ruler in my hand and a lot of bruised knuckles. ;-)

Archived