Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies are the answer

THE STRAIGHT STORY

...on the level of decomposition of Max II, the color of the coffin, and whether her screenplay was playing well in Van Nuys. ?No, it?s Pomona, dear,? said Joe from the other room. ?It will play well anywhere!,? Norma screamed, ?Another word out of you and the vicuna goes back.? Max grinned apologetically and Alan and Anna May then noticed?

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

Another of Norma's ex-husbands. He was dusting and cleaning up when he asked if anyone had seen Maureen. No one had, although she was seen earlier at Grauman's. Norma decided on red for the coffin lining, to no one's surprise, and they prepared for the formal funeral. Many Hollywood types were there...Tarzan brought Cheeta, a long time friend, the wax works were there, as well as CB DeMille, looking for a car. What a time to look for a car, they thought. As the ceremonies came to an end, Norma arose to speak, "My dear friends" she began, "thank you all for...

A PLACE IN THE SUN

?for our dearly departed and beloved who is now where all good simians go. Oh, and by the way, my good friend Cecil---Cecil, stop looking for the car, I?m making a speech---is going to take my close-up and I know you all just can?t wait to see me?uh, don?t leave, folks?Helloooo, Taaaarz, hold on?hey, hunch, don?t go, you still need to clean up the swimming pool, no more bodies, I promise?? She broke off and was soon alone---except for dear Max, of course. Of course Alan was still there and he was absolutely?

MANHANDLED

Tarzan gave him a good beat-down before he left, warning him to leave Norma alone. He wondered why, as he laid plans for sharing in the great wealth that lay around him. He approached Norma with a plan to deceive...she jumped at it, as he was sure she would. He would see to it that she would return to the screen. Together, they would reinvent the swimming pool films of the forties. She would star as the still-lovely queen of the water, with a brilliant script by none other than Allan. She was selecting her swimsuits as soon as ....

THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET

?opened. As they entered, Norma muttered, ?Back then we didn?t need dialogue, we had faces!? ?Not now,? said Alan, gently, ?you say that later.? Norma?s mouth curled into a pout as a salesgirl approached. ?Hi, I?m Miss Jones, and this is my trainee.? A portly man with a gruff exterior, he looked more like a tycoon than a trainee. Lunch was over and there was still a morsel of tuna popover on his chin. ?The devil you say,? said Norma, ?Esther who?...? as they looked at designer Esther Williams swim suits. Alan began to wonder whether Norma should?

LOOK BACK IN ANGER

Norma had more work to do, to get in shape for this film, and the Williams Lastex suits revealed every flaw. Her derriere needed extra help. Norma came up with the answer...she would design all the colstumes for the film. Just then the portly gent ambled in holding a paper containing names of undesirables in the film industry. They were all good people who went against the Hollywood current grain. Most of them were friends...just then Miss Jones came up with a good idea..."we'll strike!" she urged, and soon everyone was...

IN THE SOUP

?and it was boiling, all bustling with activity. Miss Jones was an excellent dissenter and organizer from her Department Store experiences. The gruff portly man was paranoid and adept at meting out traitors. Alan didn?t know how to do anything so just sat around and looked stupid. Poor Norma, as usual, was in a world of her own. ?Back then we didn?t need derrieres, we had faces.? She flung a swim suit across the room with disgust. ?To hell with swimming, my fans are waiting, I?ll make a comeback! Max!? But there was only Alan. She groaned and with a greatness that recalled her former glory, she...

DISHONORED

the vow she took at the beginning of her career. She decided to use the casting couch. Off she went on a visit to each studio she would dain to work for. Her name got her in the door, but her intentions got her a swift exit. Forlorn, without a plan, she decided to reconnect with Alan and dust off her manuscript for a remake of a musical version of . Alan took this as his last chance to cash in, so he agreed to edit the script "just for gramatical errors", she warned.. He sat down tom work and fancied that it would be a hit. He and Norma would burn up the screen! His prophesy was realized that night, for the old projector she used to show her films developed a short and began to...

BURN

...but only in the figurative sense. Why you never saw Salome dance like that! It?s possible that the great Norman Desmond might be just coming back after all. ?Oh Alan,? said Norma, overcome with hubris, ?you might have made some good grammatical changes, but honestly, I did it all myself.? She along with the whole world waited breathlessly for the close up. But it never came. ?My pencil ran out of lead when I correcting that,? said Alan. Norma howled in agony, ?MAX!!!,? but as always it was only Alan who was there, sharpening his pencils, and rethinking his plans to score big. He began to review options and decided to...

WALK LIKE A DRAGON

And where elase better to walk like a dragon, than San Francisco? So he beat it up the coast, and hit SF on a rainy afternoon . He bumped into Ella Raines who was searching for Sue Lin to help her out of a predicament, so Alan, always the hero, offered to help. They were trying to free a man who was imprisoned, but innocent. Helen Walker, it seemed, was the real culprit. Alan who knew Chinatown, went in search of the illusive Asian, while Ella, seeing the writing on the wall, staryted putting together a plan for a TV show...about a nurse, ( always a good character to play). When they met later in the day, Alan was high on Opium and Ella was depressed about her waning career. Together, they...

BEAT THE DEVIL

?of a path with a TV show that would make Salome look like a nursery rhyme. It was to be called Chinatown Nurse. It consisted solely of following this investigator around making sure that his eye bandage was properly dressed. It was very exciting. The guy was on the Sue Lin-Helen Walker case and was making great progress when his bandage fell off again. Ella said, ?Alan, do you really think this idea will fly?? Alan said, ?Good idea, he?ll be able to fly and we?ll get these aerial views of Chinatown and?? Ella thought, Norma was right, this guy?s an idiot, so she decided?

*DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE*

was better than Alan on the loose, so she returned to her first idea of a valiant hospital nurse. She told Alan to take a hike and set out to find a backer for the project. Meanwhile Su Lin was busilly working her laundry/car wash/chop suey palace. One day a dusty wraith wandered in asking for Stella. Su explained that Stella was out with the police commissioner, but Gabrielle was available. As soon as the wanderer saw her, he knew it was Kismet. Gabrielle explained that she was astudent at the Art Institute and couldn't be distracted. The gaunt one left and faced the wind and fog once again. he braced himself and walked east on Beacon, only to find he was.....

THE LIVING GHOST

?lurching about in wind and fog, hovering here and there, without purpose. No Su Lin, no Stella, no Gabrielle, everyone is too busy for him. If only he weren?t so gaunt. Then Alan walked by on his hike and the gaunt one changed his mind. Gaunt is good because Alan wasn?t. Cheered, he soon came upon a tramp twirling a cane around. No, couldn't be. Then...

*MURDER IN THE MUSIC HALL*

Seems, an unidentified body was discovered in the back-stage area of a small music hall. The police were without a clue. They found the story something they could get mixed up with. As they entered the lobby, they were immediately taken with the ornate...

DEVIL DOLL

Despite it?s darker aspects, one could see it was that of a beautiful young woman nonetheless. Was there a connection to the body found? They decided to call their chief investigator for an opinion, the famous one who?

*JUDITH*

could not shut up, once he got going. Ask him a question and he'd pontificate for hours, insanely enamored with the sound of his own voice. I think his name was Dick Harris...or something like that. At any rate the case was open for anyone to help solve, so they took different section of the music hall to scour for clues. The first one came in the form of ...

THE ENTERTAINER

...who performed that night, a middle aged man, a drunk and somewhat of a bounder who was seen talking to the departed in a suspicious manner. He was interviewed by Inspector Harris but couldn?t get a word in edgewise. Harris arrested him anyway for withholding evidence. The case took a spectacular turn when?

*THE HIGH BRIGHT SUN*

blinded him for a moment, and the entertainer took advantage of that moment, and escaped. Meanwhile back at the music hall, the little group was sifting through evidence for a real clue. The clue crew came up with one that would surely turn the case in a new direction. Evidence of the entertainer's earlier medical history. He'd been institutionalized for severe melancholy while vacationing in Denmark, and had escaped from there, leaving not a trface of himself. This meant only one thing...he entertainer was...

HAMLET

?or perhaps thought he was. Investigators frantically sought the name of the deceased perhaps thinking her name was Ophelia. This could explain everything. Inspector Harris articulated brilliantly on the subject but didn?t stop talking for three days. He was promptly fired by the Chief of Police for impeding an investigation. The girl?s name turned out to be Marion Kirby, a showbiz hopeful. The entertainer spiraled downward to madness. The investigation was temporarily stalled. Then strange occurrences began to befall the investigation, for instance?

*A DOG OF FLANDERS*

appeared on the scene. He spoke his name...Neil, and proceeded to explain that Mr and Mrs Kirby were both show biz wannabes, but they were mysteriously killed while burning rubber in an effort to get to the set while they were sobering up. And that was as far from the murder scene as it could be...Connecticut. So they were back to square one, again when Neil interjected this thought...

PFFFFFT!

A law student interrupted and calmly pointed out that the victim?s name was still Marion Kirby and observed that the name was spelled differently than those other Kirbys who were so far away in Connecticut and of course had nothing to do with the present case. He was immediately put in charge of the investigation. Just then a stage hand spoke up and delivered a smashing bit of news. It turns out that...

STRANGE CARGO

was being unloaded at the stage entrance. It needed a signature and it had to be none other than Marion Kirby. What a predicament, they thought. Suddenly from the crowd that had agthered came a voice declaring,"I'm Marion Kirby".Tha turned in unison to see who it was when a man of forty odd years emerged from the crowd. Which Marion Kirby was this, they wondered. While wondering, the papers were signed and....

CAUSE FOR ALARM

?ensued when a loud clanging emanated from the massive container. What within, so thought the crowd. Marion Kirby insisted that he was no relation to the deceased. Meantime an autopsy report showed death by strangulation and a pair of gloves found near the body matched those worn by this new Marion. But he avoided arrest by declaring that only he could open the container without dire consequences and so?