Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

According to columnist Barrie Maxwell of the digitalbits.com website, Sony Home Video plans to release a DVD boxset of Columbia film noirs, which is likely to include Five Against the House, The Lineup, Murder by Contract, The Sniper and a re-release of The Big Heat. As Maxwell points out, releasing Fritz Lang's Human Desire might have been a lot better than simply re-issuing The Big Heat, but it's still a good set all things considered, pending of course the final announcement.

Maxwell wrote that they're also working on a Samuel Fuller collection set, which would include The Crimson Kimono, Underworld USA and Scandal Sheet (this last one was recently shown at Noir City 7).

Well, this is both good news and bad for me. The bad is that I was really hoping that

Human Desire and Knock on Any Door would be included in the first Sony

film noir box set. The good is that it looks like Sony is going to follow through and at least

release a film noir box set. Hopefully they can add a commentary track to The Big Heat

or possibly a featurette on Fritz Lang and/or Gloria Grahame.

Since classic film DVD releases have been very slow, the good definitely outweighs the bad here.

I'm glad the comments included a swipe at re-issuing when there are so many that have never been allowed onto DVD yet.

But, like Marty Feldman once said, "It could be worse." We could have 4 reissues and 1 newbie.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Maxwell wrote that they're also working on a Samuel Fuller collection set, which would include The Crimson Kimono, Underworld USA and Scandal Sheet (this last one was recently shown at Noir City 7).

This makes my day. I love The Crimson Kimono and have it saved on my DVR but would really rather have a hard copy. Any idea how long before we can start shopping?

Di

> {quote:title=dianabat wrote:}{quote}

> This makes my day. I love The Crimson Kimono and have it saved on my DVR but would really rather have a hard copy. Any idea how long before we can start shopping?

>

> Di

Hi Di,

At least one online retailer is already taking orders, and giving a release date of 7/14:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002984ANE

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> You may also want to check on yet another DVD boxset of noir films from Columbia, which apparently will include Pushover, Nightfall, The Brothers Rico, City of Fear and a re-issue of In a Lonely Place. No release date has been set yet.

Wow. That will be on my Xmas list for sure! I have been dying to get better transfers of those films and in the case of *City of Fear* (1951) (incidentally it's the last film to be shown at Dewey's B-film noirfest), I was only able to see the film once on TCM and it's never been re-shown.

Right you are, Ark, this is truly an exceptional set. For me the only weak link is *THE BROTHERS RICO* which, despite a fine director (Phil Karlson) and the presence of the great Richard Conte, it's a pretty routine film overall. The rest, however, are exemplary examples of the style: *NIGHTFALL* is one of Tourneur's best, *PUSHOVER* may well be MacMurray's most interesting noir performance, *CITY OF FEAR* is an explosive and obscure noir just waiting to be re-discovered and Nick Ray's *IN A LONELY PLACE* is near the very top of most noir fan's list of favorites. Great stuff!

Dewey,

If you have any contacts at Sony Pictures, perhaps you could persuade them to release The Burglar on one of their upcoming DVD sets. Watched that today and was really blown away! So were many others. You have made many noir fans _extremely happy_ with your selections!!

(I'll post more about The Burglar on the other thread - just couldn't help mentioning it briefly here, since it was a Columbia noir).

Nothing would make me happier than seeing *THE BURGLAR* finally take its rightful place in the pantheon of great noir films with a long overdue and well-deserved DVD release. The home video division of SONY, who controls all of these Columbia titles, is notoriously slow to pick up on these things, but now that they seem to have caught on to the fact that noir has a significant following, perhaps someday it will surface. It would have been a more interesting choice for their proposed box set than *THE BROTHERS RICO*, but let's just be grateful that the process has begun!

And yes, yesterday's screening of *THE BURGLAR* at the Roxie was definitely an eye-opening experience for those fortunate enough to be there!

Dewey, I love reading your account of the festival.

I want you to take your show on the road. Call the management at NYC's Film Forum, and bring that same program over here. You wouldn't have an empty seat in the house. I guarantee it.

C'mon...whaddya say?

Thanks, Maven, much appreciated! I'd love to take this show on the road, but it's somewhat problematic. The Film Forum has their own programming staff and it's not likely they'd be receptive to a West Coast interloper in their midst. Plus the majority of these prints are in 16mm (surprisingly, many commercial theaters are simply not equipped to run 16mm) and belong to private collectors who would no doubt have many second thoughts about them being shuttled across the country. So we just might have to be content with San Francisco showings for the time being. But it sure would have been a great pleasure having you (and many other TCM regulars) at these shows! As it is, there are at least a couple posters who have been in attendance!

_HollywoodGolightly_ said: *If you have any contacts at Sony Pictures, perhaps you could persuade them to release The Burglar on one of their upcoming DVD sets. Watched that today and was really blown away!*

A hearty second to the motion! Of the 14 movies in I Wake Up Dreaming that I was able to catch, *The Burglar* is the one that I most hope will be released. Duryea's worldweariness is up there with Allen Baron's performance in *Blast of Silence* and Mitchum's in The Friends of Eddie Coyle. And that is just one piece of a frightening tale of Love Among the Ruined, including incest and corruption. Absolutely stunning and unforgettable.

Thank you, Dewey, for a week of nightmares.

ChiO sez: *Thank you, Dewey, for a week of nightmares.*

And I say, thank YOU, ChiO for making the time and effort to journey out here to the West Coast for this exciting array of darkness and doom. Your presence at the Roxie was deeply appreciated by Yours Truly, and how!!

I think our screening of *THE BURGLAR* created a raft of new fans for this sadly neglected masterpiece; could be time to start revising those Top 25 lists!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, there seem to be 2 Volumes according to Amazon and/or one giant volume with both 1 & 2 titles...there is no release date , artwork or anything...ive held off pre-ordering until I know more about the when's and what all these sets are about...

Warner has really dropped the ball on real releases as they are focused more on the Archive Collection it seems

I have also wondered about Noir V 5 and was hoping wed get Stranger on the 3rd Floor on that Volume and not an Archive title

No Green Slime , no Rio Rita DVD titles ( titles rumored for 2 years already) in sight ..i am kind of disappointed in that aspect...

The Karloff/Lagosi set has a lot of no so great movies they did....

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with that..artwork means nothing...I already pre-ordered Volume 2 for whenever it comes out while Volume 1 will be out next month - which I also ordered....I am holding on to my Big Heat DVD until this set comes out so I can see if its the same features, same or better transfer etc...

To be honest The Big Heat is the only movie I know on that set but Ive heard many great things about the other titles, that I figured I would enjoy them as well since I like Noir (be it from Fox like Fallen Angel or WB like The Asphalt Jungle) so I have a hunch I will like the set...

> {quote:title=TripleHHH wrote:}{quote}

> Ive heard many great things about the other titles, that I figured I would enjoy them as well since I like Noir (be it from Fox like Fallen Angel or WB like The Asphalt Jungle) so I have a hunch I will like the set...

Any San Francisco native with an historical interest will want it for all the location footage of 1958 San Francisco in The Lineup, including extensive interiors of the long-gone Sutro Baths, and the finale on the then-about-to-open but now thankfully gone Embarcadero Freeway.