Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Between pictures I go away. I think that is the best way to achieve happiness in Hollywood, the only way to keep one's perspective. If you stay too close to the motion picture colony you lose your sense of values." - Helen Twelvetrees

Some things never change. ;)

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> It would be nice if TCM could show BAD COMPANY (1931), STATE'S ATTORNEY (1932) and maybe they could even get A BEDTIME STORY (1933) from Universal (since it was a Paramount film) to do a Helen Twelvetrees tribute.

All of those played on AMC back in the day, as did IS MY FACE RED? (1932), A WOMAN OF EXPERIENCE (1931) and MILLIE (1931).

• 2 weeks later...

There were so many wonderful pre-code women. Great Garbo, Barbara Stanwyck, Loretta Young, Jean Harlow, Kay Francis...

But none come close to the incredible Miriam Hopkins. She's one of the all time greatest actress, and she easily takes the prize for greatest pre-code actress. Design For Living, The Story of Temple Drake, Trouble In Paradise, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. There wasn't another actress in Hollywood who was as comfortable with her sexuality, no other actress who enjoyed their sexuality so much. Miriam Hopkins is simple THE pre-code goddess.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it has to be Joan Blondell. She's the one who first got me interested in pre-code films, thanks to her scantily clad scenes in Gold Diggers of 1933, Night Nurse, Blonde Crazy, and many other. Barbara Stanwyck is a very close #2.

For me, Jean Harlow is the premier pre-code actress. Her role in Public Enemy and Red Headed Woman is great. She brings an incredible mix of class, sexuality, and toughness to these roles. She was great during her short career, but her pre-code days were the best (I think).

>>seems most of the ladies on this thread are blondes

LOL! It does seem unfair somehow, doesn't it? Cookie Cutter Attraction is what I call it.

A week or so ago I watched an avant garde film from around the same precode time period but it had a Jewish emphasis. There was a very beautiful woman in the film and she was night and day different from the blondes of the American precode era. She had a slightly big nose and long long black hair but beautiful intense eyes and a sad air of melancholy. She's someone Hollywood would never put in a standard precode of that period, but she had her own unique beauty that was natural and not achieved from hours spent in an artificial beauty parlor.