Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 5/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, Dargo said:

You have to remember here SunAndMoon that by 1939 and the year Ty starred as Jesse James, the collective and by then accepted narrative about this outlaw was that he was more an American Old West version of Robin Hood than he was thought of as a wanton criminal.

This rewriting of his life story and public image pretty much began in the late-19th century when the eponymous folk song "Jesse James" (you might remember the following lines from it: "But that dirty little coward (meaning Bob Ford) who shot Mr. Howard (Jesse's by then new acquired name "Tom Howard", and who Ford shot in the back), and laid poor Jesse in his grave", spread throughout the country and then even more so the next (20th) century when recordings of the song were made popular by many various singers.

(...in fact, I remember my father singing those lines at home when I was very young in the 1950s, and whenever the name "Jesse James" would somehow come up)

There were actually two Ford brothers involved in shooting Jesse, Bob (who usually gets all the credit/blame, depending upon one's point of view) and Charley. Bob did the actual shooting but it was Charley, whom Jesse regarded as a friend or, at least, someone he could trust (Wrong there, Jesse!) who was able to convince James that his brother was an okay guy to have hang around. Charley was there when Jesse got it in the back while straightening a picture on the wall.

Anyone ever notice that when Tyrone's character went to the movies in his last completed film, Witness for the Prosecution, it was to see a Jesse James western? It's never stated which version he went to see but I like to think that it was his own.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Abandon Ship is an excellent film and shows what a great actor Tyrone was. If you want to get a full picture of Ty's acting abilities then it's a must see.  I love Ty as most know around here and thought he was one of the most handsome actors ever on screen, but if you're going to be a real fan of his you should see as many of his films as you can, not just the ones that showcase his physical beauty but his ability to portray different characters without just relying on his good looks.

Oh, heck, yes. I'm working on that. ☺️

I haven't questioned Tyrone's talent as an actor since I saw The Razor's Edge. On the other hand, he was so beautiful it's actually painful.

And any man with the courage to take matters into his own hands like he did with Nightmare Alley is a man worthy of my respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, SunAndMoon said:

That's messed up.

On the same   note,  James  Dean did an  anti-speeding  public announcement ,a few months  before he died.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, Swithin said:

Well, I think Dion grows, which I think is important to the plot. It took the Chicago Fire to do it, but it's very much like B_lackie Norton/Clark Gable in San Francisco (the success of which inspired the making of In Old Chicago.)

Regarding progression, my favorite Tyrone Power role has always been Jonathan Blake in Lloyds of London, which was actually one of his first roles. He's the star, but he doesn't get billed as such. 

poster-lloyds-of-london_06.jpg

You think he's a  bozo jerk in that, watch " A  Yank in the RAF.  He is  a  double moron in that one.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:00 AM, SunAndMoon said:

More or less, yes. I'm very bad at explanations, but I'll try and explain what I meant.

Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power don't look like how you expect action heroes to look. They're not rugged or muscular like Cary Grant, or Harrison Ford, or Gerard Butler. They're more slender, more refined facially, and, yes, more graceful--an adjective typically associated with women. Like Leslie Howard, or Elvis Presley, or, to use a more contemporary example, Harry Styles. (Yeah, I know. The ultimate insult, comparing someone to an ex-boybander. I swear I mean all of this in the most complimentary way possible.)

They're not any less masculine for it. It's just a different kind of masculinity.

You  know Harry is   wearing pearls now,  

Ya know, this movie poster doesn't tell the whole story, don't ya?!

(...nope, Sir Guy also sits down a few times in this one too)

On 5/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, Swithin said:

Well, I think Dion grows, which I think is important to the plot. It took the Chicago Fire to do it, but it's very much like B_lackie Norton/Clark Gable in San Francisco (the success of which inspired the making of In Old Chicago.)

Regarding progression, my favorite Tyrone Power role has always been Jonathan Blake in Lloyds of London, which was actually one of his first roles. He's the star, but he doesn't get billed as such. 

Swith, this is a good choice.

I remember this so well because it was my first time....My first time ever seeing Tyrone Power in a movie.

He's one of the old movie stars who died relatively young, so I hadn't seen him in Movie mags or on TV.

He was a total mystery to me--

I always thought he was the most beautiful man I ever saw in classic movies.

His portrayal of Zorro is my favorite--

A mask, very tight pants and a sword + Basil Rathbone.

What more could you want? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/9/2018 at 2:12 PM, speedracer5 said:

Re: Tyrone Power's early death.  He died of a heart attack, as did his father.  I am wondering if it was hereditary? 

I do like Tyrone Power, but I haven't seen many of his films.  I've seen Nightmare Alley, Alexander's Ragtime Band and The Sun Also Rises

I have some films of his recorded: The Eddy Duchin Story, The Mask of Zorro, The Rains Came, and Blood and Sand.  I also picked up The Razor's Edge at some point, but haven't watched it yet. 

I have not seen Zorro  since I  was a young girl in the 90's. The Rains Came is excellent.  I have seen a little bit of the Razor movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Tyrone Power still makes me stop and stare when I watch his character enter the party in the beginning of The Razor’Edge. 

I liked his performance in Nightmare Alley, In Old Chicago, The Rains Came and Abandon Ship which was heart wrenching.  Love Marie Antoinette and liked him in Mississippi Gambler. Blood and Sand is not one of my favorites. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I read that one of his grand daughters was officially declared dead a few years ago.  She went missing  back in either the late 90's or early 00's.  I think her mother was his eldest daughter.  That is very sad.  Does his son still act?  I have not heard about him in a long time.

1 hour ago, Oceanblue said:

I read that one of his grand daughters was officially declared dead a few years ago.  She went missing  back in either the late 90's or early 00's.  I think her mother was his eldest daughter.  That is very sad.  Does his son still act?  I have not heard about him in a long time.

According to Tyrone Power Jr.'s Wiki bio page, it says his career runs from 1985 thru to the present. However, his last film credit was from 2010 in a movie titled Dreamkiller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Power_Jr.

• Like 1

I have a book, An Actor Prepares, which was once owned by Tyrone Power. Or, at least, that's what I was told by the clerk of a book store which specializes in Hollywood memorabilia.

There is a sticker on the inside cover, with a drawing of a book and two burning candles over it, underneath the book the expression "Ex Libris" followed by "Tyrone Power."

Opposite that is an inscription to Power from Serge Bertensson, a Hollywood dialogue director who worked at Fox, among other studios.

Bertensson wrote, "To Tyrone Power whose talent Stanislavsky would admire and cultivate, with best wishes from Serge Bertensson - one of Stanislavsky's associates. February 22, 1939."

The book has a 1936 publication date.

I guess I'll never know for sure if it really had been owned by Power but the inscription and the sticker with Power's name on it sure look authentic. Would anyone know if Power used to put stickers of this nature on his books? Perhaps he had a library.

And I'll tell you something else. For a book published over 80 years ago it is in beautiful condition, to the extent that I have to wonder if Power or any of its subsequent owners ever read it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I have a book, An Actor Prepares, which was once owned by Tyrone Power....is an inscription to Power from Serge Bertensson, a Hollywood dialogue director who worked at Fox, among other studios. Bertensson wrote, "To Tyrone Power whose talent Stanislavsky would admire and cultivate, with best wishes from Serge Bertensson - one of Stanislavsky's associates. February 22, 1939."....For a book published over 80 years ago it is in beautiful condition, to the extent that I have to wonder if Power or any of its subsequent owners ever read it.

Well Tom, I'm thinking here IF your book had been more dogeared, then perhaps Ty might've turned out to be one of the first Method actors to make it big in Hollywood, and thus predating Brando by almost two decades. Well, not discounting John Garfield here, I guess.

BUT, seein' as how your book is in such pristine condition, I'd say THIS might be the very reason Ty never was considered such. Maybe he never opened it once it was given to him.

(...food for thought anyway, RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well Tom, I'm thinking here IF your book had been more dogeared, then perhaps Ty might've turned out to be one of the first Method actors to make it big in Hollywood, and thus predating Brando by almost two decades. Well, not discounting John Garfield here, I guess.

BUT, seein' as how your book is in such pristine condition, I'd say THIS might be the very reason Ty never was considered such. Maybe he never opened it once it was given to him.

(...food for thought anyway, RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL

Well, he at least may have opened the book's front cover to put in that sticker with his name on it.

actor-tyrone-power-and-his-wife-actress-

He's reading a book here but with that gettyimages label right across it I can't tell if it's my book.

14 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, he at least may have opened the book's front cover to put in that sticker with his name on it.

He's reading a book here but with that gettyimages label right across it I can't tell if it's my book.

Looks as if the cover has some sort of embossed floral image on it. Does yours?

(...gotta say, Ty and Linda sure made a striking looking couple, didn't they)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Looks as if the cover has some sort of embossed floral image on it. Does yours?

(...gotta say, Ty and Linda sure made a striking looking couple, didn't they)

No, my book has no cover. Truth is, now that I look at it, that book is thicker than mine. Yes, they were a handsome couple.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:31 AM, TomJH said:

The real star of The Rains Came, in my opinion, is the special effects, which still dazzle.

Power may look like a "copper Apollo" but he is hardly convincing in his role. I agree, however, that George Brent is very good.

Wrong thread, but this is one of those ones I would care to see remade with updated casting (while I love the original and totally agree that the special effects hold up marvelously!). It would be perfect for a British/Indian co-production. Could be a lavish big-screen epic, or alternatively might play well on the small screen in light of recent developments like Indian Summers and Beecham House. Could be released for English and Hindi markets and make big money globally. The late Sushant Rajput, who played a romantic hero in the similarly themed film Kedarnath, could have stepped into Power's part; a perfect "pale copper Apollo," but sadly no longer with us. Dev Patel could maybe do it now, though IMHO he's not quite up to Tyrone and Sushant levels of dreaminess, handsome as he is. At least he's bankable. Myrna Loy's jaded society lady, languishing in her couture amidst the monsoons, would make good Keira Knightley bait. You could bring the great Sharmila Tagore out of retirement to take on Ouspenskaya's role of the stately dowager; or recast as a younger but no-less regal widow with someone internationally marketable, say Priyanka Chopra or Archie Panjabi...more of an older sister figure to Power's character or even perhaps a romantic rival to Loy's (though I should say I vastly prefer the more faithful and less Hollywoodized former option!). Pepper the secondary leads and supporting cast with a who's-who of popular and hyper-competent British period drama staples, and of course "decolonize" the cast by bringing some Bollywood talent to more prominence in the script. I see it as a glamorous period piece a la Indian Summers or The Jewel in the Crown, but could also work with a postcolonial face-lift and still be mostly relevant.