Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carole Lombard....Star of the Month?

Bethluvsfilms

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think so. She had such a wonderful screen presence, a wonderful sense of humor and lighted up the screen whenever she was on.

I mean, I can never get enough of her, especially in MY MAN GODFREY, NOTHING SACRED and TO BE OR NOT TO BE.

She deserves to be given her due.

Her sole *Oscar shot was GODREY, but was even funnier in TWENTIETH CENTURY

1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

I believe she was SOTM at some point in the last several years but I believe she's due for another turn. I'd especially like to see some of her early Paramount films.

Right. So a Star of the Month honor for Lombard could help showcase some of those rarely seen titles.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Carole Lombard was SOTM back in October 2008.     Yes,  a great comedian that was in many fine films but since they were mostly for Paramount,   TCM doesn't show them very often.

They (meaning TCM's programming department) probably have November figured out and December is going to be chosen by the Backlot members. So honoring Lombard in January or March would work. As you indicate it will have been more than ten years.

I wonder what would have happened if Carole Lombard of Paramount Pictures could have been paired with Jean Harlow of MGM in a movie vehicle.  Its a nice thought but I doubt if either studio would consider loaning out their starlet to a competitor.  I wonder what type of atmosphere would have been on the set?  Would the ladies get along being friendly, cordial cooperative toward each other or would they be Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins?  I will answer my own question and say yes I believe Carole and Jean would have gotten along well on the set.  There would not be any phone calls to the director complaining about one another and inappropriate physical conflict or behavior between the ladies.  Hopefully the movie they were making together would be worthwhile for their great talent. 

I hope Carole Lombard is named Star of the Month for December 2018.  Hopefully Jean Harlow will be named Star of the Month for March 2019.  She hasn't been Star of the Month this decade.  

31 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I wonder what would have happened if Carole Lombard of Paramount Pictures could have been paired with Jean Harlow of MGM in a movie vehicle.  Its a nice thought but I doubt if either studio would consider loaning out their starlet to a competitor.  I wonder what type of atmosphere would have been on the set?  Would the ladies get along being friendly, cordial cooperative toward each other or would they be Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins?  I will answer my own question and say yes I believe Carole and Jean would have gotten along well on the set.  There would not be any phone calls to the director complaining about one another and inappropriate physical conflict or behavior between the ladies.  Hopefully the movie they were making together would be worthwhile for their great talent. 

I hope Carole Lombard is named Star of the Month for December 2018.  Hopefully Jean Harlow will be named Star of the Month for March 2019.  She hasn't been Star of the Month this decade.  

I believe the Backlot members are choosing the December 2018 Star of the Month. They have two choices-- Dick Powell or Warren William.

43 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

Just curious why Lombard in December?     I assume Harlow in March because she was born on March 3rd.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I believe the Backlot members are choosing the December 2018 Star of the Month. They have two choices-- Dick Powell or Warren William.

I'm glad in this case that I'm not a Backlot member. I couldn't choose one without thinking it might be ages before the other is chosen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just curious why Lombard in December?     I assume Harlow in March because she was born on March 3rd.

I am terribly sorry for the misinformation.  I thought I saw and read a post stating Carole Lombard was one of the two people being considered for Star of the Month for December 2018 by the Backlot Members.  I guess I am the king of wishful thinking.  I will cross my fingers hoping Jean Harlow is Star of the Month for March 2019.

12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think Dick Powell will be chosen. Just a feeling I have...

You're probably right. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I would sure love to see some pre-code Warren William films, even if it was just a birthday tribute!

2 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

You're probably right. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I would sure love to see some pre-code Warren William films, even if it was just a birthday tribute!

It really shouldn't be one or the other. Both should be honored and the voting should be to determine which one is honored the beginning of the month and which one is honored the end of the month.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

I believe Carole and Jean would have gotten along beautifully. Several years ago I read a book called "Gable, Lombard, Powell and Harlow" which chronicled the relationships between these four stars. Although Carole had divorced William Powell they remained the best of friends. Powell went on to date Jean. Jean and Gable were like brother and sister. We all know the chemistry that Gable had for Carole and visa versa. They were all friends and went out together on occasion. They even attended the 1936 Oscars together. The unusual thing about it is that there are no photos of the four of them together nor are there any photos of Jean with Carole.

Even though top notch stars are rarely loaned out to other studios it does happen. Carole was loaned out to MGM for "The Gay Bride" in 1934. Right before her death MGM was working out an agreement with 20th Century Fox to loan out Jean Harlow. 

I also believe that if they had worked together the atmosphere on the movie set would have been wonderful. Both stars were known for their generosity and kindness toward the backstage workers and all the "little people" that worked behind the scenes. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings