Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the unsung joe cantwell

NipkowDisc

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

You need some new material. Your act is getting stale.

well, it's up to tcm to increase their political content with airing say the 1977 ABC-TV miniseries Washington: Behind Closed Doors with a standout performance by Jason Robards as President Richard Monckton and Cliff is in that too or Will: G. Gordon Liddy with a dynamic performance by Robert Conrad.

and doan hand me the crap that tcm doan show television stuff as they have on occasion (when they dam well feel like it) shown TV content like Steven Spielberg's Duel.

tcm is a liberal outfit and doan wanna show political stuff with dynamic conservative characters (especially if they carry the day)

like louise fletcher's nurse ratched they like a rigged game.

never mind if the above mentioned stuff is well-acted and good drama.

24 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

well, it's up to tcm to increase their political content with airing say the 1977 ABC-TV miniseries Washington: Behind Closed Doors with a standout performance by Jason Robards as President Richard Monckton and Cliff is in that too or Will: G. Gordon Liddy with a dynamic performance by Robert Conrad.

I actually bought the DVD of Washington: Behind Closed Doors after you went off on one of your rants about it a while back. To be honest, I'm trying to see all of Robards' work, but your impassioned promotion of this particular movie made me pick it up when I saw it in a store.

Will: G. Gordon Liddy sounds amusing since Liddy is such a goofball, but unfortunately it has never been put out on DVD, and the VHS is going for too much, or I'd have bought that, too.

I even subjected myself to Fire Maidens of Outer Space the other day based on your recommendation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

and doan hand me the crap that tcm doan show television stuff as they have on occasion (when they dam well feel like it) shown TV content like Steven Spielberg's Duel.

tcm is a liberal outfit and doan wanna show political stuff with dynamic conservative characters (especially if they carry the day)

Don't you hate Joe Cantwell?    He only married a women because due to bigots like yourself Joe couldn't marry his true love  Sheldon Bascomb. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Will: G. Gordon Liddy sounds amusing since Liddy is such a goofball, but unfortunately it has never been put out on DVD, and the VHS is going for too much, or I'd have bought that, too.

I even subjected myself to Fire Maidens of Outer Space the other day based on your recommendation.

I'm curious about looking up some of the old "70's Mainstream TV Tries to Do Watergate" miniseries based on all the hit post-jail autobio bestsellers (yes, I'm THAT desperate for good old-fashioned Old Skool 70's TV that Hulu won't show), back when few people literally understood what the heck had been going on, and it took "All the President's Men" to FAQ-101 it to them--No one even remembers the TV miniseries of The Final Days, except for 70's SNL doing a hilarious Dan Aykroyd parody of the book's excesses.  Sadly, no "Will" on YouTube, except for isolated clips of Robert Conrad, although you can find "Blind Ambition" in some back corners if you look.

As for Nip, Lawrence, you're catching on:  It's not that he posts recommendations for anyone else, he just.........posts.

And Fire Maidens is much better downed with the obvious chaser:

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

DUEL was released in the theaters in Europe and Australia and some American theaters.  It's not only a TV movie.  The theatrical print is a little longer than the TV print.

For such a liberal outfit, TCM sure features a lot of movies by conservative actors and conservative directors.

Why don't you offer some examples of "political stuff with dynamic conservative characters (especially if they carry the day)"?

18 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

DUEL was released in the theaters in Europe and Australia and some American theaters.  It's not only a TV movie.  The theatrical print is a little longer than the TV print.

For such a liberal outfit, TCM sure features a lot of movies by conservative actors and conservative directors.

Why don't you offer some examples of "political stuff with dynamic conservative characters (especially if they carry the day)"?

we like our heroes a bit on the dark side.

21 hours ago, Vautrin said:

A slimmer Joe McCarthy without the booze problem. I do get a kick out

of the last name. If you need a G. Gordo fix, you can always see how

long you can hold your hand over a candle flame. 

As interesting as old Joe and his 205 Commies in the State Department were, I am still waiting for the movie biopic of infamous CIA impresario, James Jesus Angleton, so we can find out who really killed JFK. Ignore all the following supposed bios or mentions of Angleton as none really do him justice:

• The 2006 film The Good Shepherd is loosely based on Angleton's life and his role in the formation of the CIA.[26]
  • The Laundry Series by Charles Stross features a senior Laundry agent whose nom de guerre is James Angleton after the CIA chief.[27]
  • The 2007 television mini-series The Company focus on Angleton's efforts to find a Soviet mole. Angleton was portrayed by Michael Keaton.
  • Angleton was portrayed by John Light in the 2003 BBC TV mini-series Cambridge Spies.
  • The song "Angleton" by Russian indie rock band Biting Elbows is about Angleton's life and career.[28]
  • In the television series Granite Flats the actor Cary Elwes plays Hugh Ashmead, the name "Ashmead" being the cover name for James J. Angleton.
  • William F. Buckley's 2000 novel Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton is a fictionalized treatment of Angleton's career, a storyline being placed upon, between and within actual historic facts and events.[29]
  • Mike Doughty released a song entitled James Jesus Angleton on Apple Music in December 2017.
  • The Fatima Mansions track 'Brunceling's song' mentions James Jesus Angleton by name, in a narrative involving spooks adapting to regular life.

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

we like our heroes a bit on the dark side.

Speak for yourself here, Nip!

Ya see, MY ultimate (political) hero would be someone who is primarily smart enough to attempt to stear clear of that "dark side" as much as they can, BUT who would STILL be capable of kicking a little "you-know-what" IF and WHEN it came right down to it.

(...aaaah, but then again THIS is why I HAVEN'T had any "heroes" in this regard for YEARS now...you see, the SMART ones unfortunately seem to lack that second qualifier here, and the DUMB ones just never seem to know when to lay off all that damn stupid tough guy, read: "dark side", crap!) 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:16 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Is it liberal to show both "I Am Curious Yellow" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?

If so, that could be a good thing instead of pejorative.

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

As interesting as old Joe and his 205 Commies in the State Department were, I am still waiting for the movie biopic of infamous CIA impresario, James Jesus Angleton, so we can find out who really killed JFK. Ignore all the following supposed bios or mentions of Angleton as none really do him justice:

• The 2006 film The Good Shepherd is loosely based on Angleton's life and his role in the formation of the CIA.[26]
  • The Laundry Series by Charles Stross features a senior Laundry agent whose nom de guerre is James Angleton after the CIA chief.[27]
  • The 2007 television mini-series The Company focus on Angleton's efforts to find a Soviet mole. Angleton was portrayed by Michael Keaton.
  • Angleton was portrayed by John Light in the 2003 BBC TV mini-series Cambridge Spies.
  • The song "Angleton" by Russian indie rock band Biting Elbows is about Angleton's life and career.[28]
  • In the television series Granite Flats the actor Cary Elwes plays Hugh Ashmead, the name "Ashmead" being the cover name for James J. Angleton.
  • William F. Buckley's 2000 novel Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton is a fictionalized treatment of Angleton's career, a storyline being placed upon, between and within actual historic facts and events.[29]
  • Mike Doughty released a song entitled James Jesus Angleton on Apple Music in December 2017.
  • The Fatima Mansions track 'Brunceling's song' mentions James Jesus Angleton by name, in a narrative involving spooks adapting to regular life.

Talk about two guys from opposite ends of the social spectrum. Hard to think of JJA

wanting to hang around with Joe McCarthy. I've read of JJA here and there, but not to

the extent of a full biography. I believe he is most notorious for his is he or isn't he a

mole in relation to one Soviet defector and the time spent in trying to reach a conclusion.

And I always got a kick out of his middle name. Like many CIA spooks, Angleton should

have been terminated with extreme prejudice himself. The long hidden secret can now

be revealed--JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald with his semi-trusty Mannlicher-Car

cano in Dallas. 

12 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Talk about two guys from opposite ends of the social spectrum. Hard to think of JJA

wanting to hang around with Joe McCarthy. I've read of JJA here and there, but not to

the extent of a full biography. I believe he is most notorious for his is he or isn't he a

mole in relation to one Soviet defector and the time spent in trying to reach a conclusion.

And I always got a kick out of his middle name. Like many CIA spooks, Angleton should

have been terminated with extreme prejudice himself. The long hidden secret can now

be revealed--JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald with his semi-trusty Mannlicher-Car

cano in Dallas. 

Anyone who is throwing out Mannlicher-Carcano references is also probably privy to insider info about Jada Conforti, the Three Tramps, Babushka Lady, Umbrella Man, the O'Neal Funeral Home and David Ferrie. We need to talk privately, Vautrin and make sure no bugs are involved, which means Omarosa is not invited!

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Anyone who is throwing out Mannlicher-Carcano references is also probably privy to insider info about Jada Conforti, the Three Tramps, Babushka Lady, Umbrella Man, the O'Neal Funeral Home and David Ferrie. We need to talk privately, Vautrin and make sure no bugs are involved, which means Omarosa is not invited!

I remember most of those. You haven't lived till you've seen a picture of ol' David Ferrie with

his fake eyebrows. Yikes. Ferrie made Oswald look almost normal. I'm sure Omarosa is too

busy plugging her book, which is, well what authors do. Strzok is probably just sitting down

and starting his first draft.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings