Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the last really great well-made american action adventure film.

NipkowDisc

I really enjoyed the previously mentioned Raiders of the Lost Ark (maybe my choice for greatest adventure movie of all time), The Hunt for Red October, and Apocalypto. The last action movie that really blew me away was probably Mad Max: Fury Road, but that was Australian, and the OP asked about American films. I like a few of the newer James Bond films, but they are more European, as are the Bourne films, which I like a lot. I like several of the superhero movies, but I'll exclude those and most of the science fiction movies as being a separate genre. So, looking back through lists of my favorite movies from each year, I have to go back a while to find American action movies that I really liked. Is Kill Bill an action movie? If so, that would be my choice. If not, then Team America: World Police.

6 minutes ago, clore said:

John Wick had exquisitely choreographed action scenes - not the edited in a blender junk seen in most films these days.

Excellent movie, and a return to practical stuntwork rather than CGI effects that defy the laws of physics.

The Raid: Redemption and The Raid 2 are also very well done action films, but not American. They also feature improved choreography and editing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hamradio said:

The last film I can think of that falls under the Adventure / Action category is "Apacalypco" (2006).  

Mel Gibson did great in directing / producing it. :)

apocalypto.jpg

but he hamstrings his own films by not having the dialogue spoken in English which is truly dumb.

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

It didn't bother me hearing their native dialect.  It was subtitled.  

I believe Nipkow has stated before that his vision ailments make watching subtitled movies difficult. However, Apocalypto was such a visual movie, and the story so basic, that you didn't really need to read the subtitles to follow along and enjoy the film. The plot was easily followed without the dialogue. That being said, if one's vision is so bad that even following the onscreen action is too difficult, and one follows along based on the dialogue only, then I suppose the movie would be a disappointment.

21 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

for my money it is 1981's Death Hunt starring Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and Carl Weathers. a great score too by Jerrold Immel.

:)

I say, "American Graffiti"!

The action is in hunting for girls, the landscape is Modesto, California, and the means used are not guns but souped up cars, gunning their motors at stop lights to stir up some game, which is quite an adventure. Also remember, wasn't there a bear in the woods too, which scared Charley Martin Smith?

Where were you in '62?

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Perils of Pauline (1914) - The rest has just been variation and imitation.;)

Yeah, and I sure wish TCM would show some of these serials since it would be a boon to silent film addicts! Pearl White is justifiably an important star in film history and deserves some acclaim.

If action hero films qualify,

DIE HARD 1988, the magnificent triumph of a clever screenplay, explosive, emotionally gripping action scenes, and strong characterizations. A complete winner from a genre of over the top films for which, generally speaking, I have little admiration.

Bruce-Die-Hard.jpg

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings