Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Somebody Goofed

Geostan

A film with Margaret Rutherford called Castle in the Air was scheduled for 9:45 am May 11. What appeared was another film titled Castle in the Air, a retitling of the American film Rainbow Round My Shoulder.

Does this mean that the scheduled film is unavailable. Or if it is, will it be rescheduled?

Somebody goofed indeed, and I'm very disappointed. I was very much looking forward to seeing the "Castle In The Air" with David Tomlinson and Margaret Rutherford. The Frankie Laine film currently showing in it's place seems decent with some very nice vocals, but as today was supposed to be a celebration of Rutherford's birthday it really would have been good if it could have been the correct "Castle In The Air". At least I can't ever remember a mix-up of this kind before. Hopefully it won't occur again. Grrr, I really wanted to see that.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one confused! I tuned into this movie late and was trying to figure out what was going on - I was expecting to see David Tomlinson and a Scottish castle and instead people were singing in Hollywood. I managed to catch one of the character's names and looked it up on imdb to find out that this movie was called Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder - I didn't realize it had an alternate title of Castle in the Air. I think TCM is a little mixed up today! ;)

I just bought CASTLE IN THE AIR and a few other Margaret Rutherford films from a collector in UK but I tried to tape it anyway since I had to transfer the UK DVDs to something my DVD player would run.

Cute film with Rutherford (as always) in top form. Interesting to see a young David Tomlinson and a Canadian actress named Barbara Kelly (playing an American) I'd never seen before.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Are you guys in Canada by chance?

It wasn't just in Canada. I just checked my recording and it's the wrong one here too. Of course, I can see how it could have happened, if they had two films of the same title from two different distributors, somebody just pulled the wrong one. Oh well, I'm sure TCM will sort it all out.

Not liking musicals in general, this was interesting to actually see Frankie Laine sing. Reading the notes about this film, it was special for that reason - and perhaps only for that. But fine - all the various films names, I'm glad to see even TCM's incredibly great staff gets some wires crossed. At least once!

That's still a batting average of about .999. Not too shabby.

*Castle in the Air* was supposed to be part of the Margaret Rutherford salute.... I missed the *Runaway Bus* because I got the times wrong but got the others. *Trouble in Store* was a hilarious little British gem with Norman Wisdom (a cross between Eddie Cantor and Buster Keaton) as a hapless stock boy in a department store and Rutherford as a kleptomaniac.

You're right, we goofed. We had a list of films available from Sony that included "Castle in the Air" ('52), which stars Margaret Rutherford. Unfortunately, Sony renamed the film "Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder" - with the same release year - "Castle in the Air." But there's no aka for the Sony film that we can find, so I'm not sure how we could have figured that out. Anyway, it was a real fluke, but it's our responsibility, and I apologize for the mistake.

That's OK, TCMprogrammer.... I already have a copy of the Rutherford film on DVD from a collector in UK.

Show William Haines' *Brown of Harvard* as penance.

Archived