Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent film crushes

Oh, WoW ! Gagman . . .

I don't know what mistakes you're referring to but those are such Glorious Colors on that Portrait of 'Princess of the Book' ! There's Red, Mint Green, Purples, Melon, Pink and Brown ... and they all 'Work' together to create such a Treat for the Eyes ! I Love It ! :x

Gagman, Sally O 'Neil certainly appears 'Delightful' in her Cloverleaf outfit. I need a Cloverleaf hat like that when St. Patrick rolls around in 2012 ! This portrait is positivily Adorable. :)

Oh and Lillian Gish ! Awsome Portrait of her, Gagman. She is just 'Starkingly' Beautiful ! . . . with her auburn tresses cascading down her back, her lovely blue eyes and that Pink dress with the Lace, truly Becomes her ! Lovely ! :x

Special Thanks, Gagman !

> {quote:title=milkshakesmania wrote:

> }{quote}The eyes on Sally O'Neil look like she was punched in the back of the head, they fell out, and she pushed them back in. Another case of *ZOMBIE EYES*!

Yes, Sally O'Neil has very beautiful eyes and I'll bet we could really appreciate them in the original black & white still.

(And I must say, if Sally became a zombie and came after me, I wouldn't try too hard to get away!)

*musicalnovelty,*

*Please note, I was not at all happy with the Sally O'Neil photo in the least.*

*Unfortunately, you can only do so much given the quality of the graphic you have to work with. If there is a better resolution version of the same picture around I have yet to find one. I went back to look for the original, and it is gone too. The eyes don't look good at all. I'll agree. I debated if I was going to post the pic at all. But I loved the outfit. The black and white was quite dark, and it was much smaller dimensions. I had to increase the size a fair amount. So you will lose some detail in the process. Besides the eyes, Sally's mouth is slightly open, and you should be able to see some teeth. You can't given the lipstick appeared so dark. Not much you can do about this.*

*The angle of the eyes are very difficult to follow. Here is the thing, I think allot of the negative comments come from people who have never attempted this type of thing before, and they apparently are under the impression that it is like some color by number process or something. Select this color, and the computer automatically feels it in. Well, that isn't how it works. It is much more complex and demanding than that.*

*I have no controll over what other people are seeign based on their own monitor settings. My Brightness and Contrast at turned down well under 50% capacity, because of my own weak and sensitive eyes. It also matters it you are using Cool, Warm or Costume Colors settings on your monitor. So when someone says that there is a glowing effect, this might be because I lighten the area around te pupil so it is not so tan or gray. I usually start out tinting the complete photo a amber cast before anything else. This is done to tackle much of the skin-tone in advance. It is much more difficult to follow the outline of the body were the skin is bare later if you don't do this ahead of time. Eventually, after you have finished the other objects the Skin-tone generally falls in to place.*

*Hey, if Milkshake Mama or anyone thinks they can do better on the Sally O'Neil pic, improve the eyes, etc, than be my guest.*

*OK, here is the image in Monochrome, or Black and White.*

PHOTO_15488533_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

OK, this is a revised version? See if you like it better than the previous effort?

SallyONeilSuzyShamrock1927.jpg

And here is another shot from the same photo session.

PHOTO_15488535_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:

> }{quote}musicalnovelty.

>

> My friend Mike Duffy found this Lobby-card from 1928. That's Sally O'Neil, but I have no idea who the man is?

>

>

>

>

>

>

The guy is Ralph Graves, who as I'm sure you know, was also appearing in several Frank Capra pictures for Columbia around this time.

Nice lobby card with nice image of Sally O.

Thanks for posting it!

musicalnovelty,

Yeah, I've seen Ralph Graves in several things, but did not recognize him.

Here is another still I did a while back of both Girls. They are not real easy to tell apart in this photo. Any idea as to the movie? They look so precious together.

PHOTO_15489821_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Sally O' Neil And Molly O' Day-"Sweet Sister Dear"*

> }{quote}musicalnovelty,

>

> Yeah, I've seen Ralph Graves in several things, but did not recognize him.

>

> Here is another still I did a while back of both Girls. They are not real easy to tell apart in this photo. Any idea as to the movie? They look so precious together.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

This is another one where the eyes look weird, and Molly's teeth, too.

I'd like to see the black & white original of this one.

musicalnovely, milkshaker, etc,

Well, personally I think it's one of the very best things that I've ever done. Not perfect, I goofed where the cheeks meet, and a few other places. But the eyes don't look remotely weird. In the first place the eyes do glisten in the original photos, and this is often the case. However, I suspect that most of you have monitors where the brightness and contrast settings are turned up about 30 to 35% higher than mine are. And that likely makes quite a difference. You may also have graphic cards that render the image quite differently. Along with numerous other factors. Such as not haveing downloaded the latest Adobe updates and such

There is No Black and White Original. This is all that I had to go by. It's been in the slave since February of 2009. It is tinted a violet hue. Just the way that I found it.Looking almost like a capture still from a video. I made the teeth look as good as anybody else is ever going to achive with my software. But by all means, if you think you can do better, more power to yah. Let's see you do it!

SISTERSSALLYONEILandMOLLYODAY.jpg

> }{quote}musicalnovelty, milkshakes,

>

> ....By all means, if you think you can do better, more power to yah. Let's see you do it!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

With all due respect, that's just the point...we DON'T WANT to do it! We're fine with vintage stills in their original black & white or sepia color.

> }{quote}musicalnovelty,

>

>

> Here is another still I did a while back of both girls. They are not real easy to tell apart in this photo. Any idea as to the movie?

>

> PHOTO_15489821_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

>

>

> *Sally O' Neil And Molly O' Day*

>

gagman,

This still is from the 1927 MGM movie THE LOVELORN.

And that's Sally on the left and Molly at the right.

Alright than, If you think those are "Zombie Eyes", take a gander at this here. But wait, oh my Stars, this is actually an original color photo from 1941. It is not colorized. So I guess allot of people had "Zombie Eyes" during the War years too now didn't they?

PHOTO_15485916_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Harry Carey Sr. And Betty Field*

In this instance, yes, Betty Field has unatural eyes in that picture.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}Alright than, If you think those are "Zombie Eyes", take a gander at this here. But wait, oh my Stars, this is actually an original color photo from 1941. It is not colorized. So I guess allot of people had "Zombie Eyes" during the War years too now didn't they?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> PHOTO_15485916_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

>

>

> *Harry Carey Sr. And Betty Field*

>

Wendy,

What Flowers? You mean those little{font:Arial} sequins{font}? Did you see the Betty Bronson pic in the other thread? I wasn't completely happy with this photo. Not sure what film it is from. Spent several hours on a complex still from *FLESH AND THE DEVIL,* and subsequently scraped it. Just did not look right. Don't forget about *WHAT PRICE GLORY?* on Sunday. A TCM premiere.

This still from *ROSE MARIE (1928)* was not done by me, rather by Bob Fells. I made some minor adjustments, but it is mostly his work.

JoanCrawfordRoseMariestill1.jpg

For those who complain about "Zombie Eyes", I want them to take note of this photo of Sebastain, Crawford, and Page. I am posting it as is, and will later post a Color Transfer version.See how shiny that Joan and Anita's eyes both appear here? This effect is partly the way the original was photographed, and has nothing to do with my making the eyes look glassy or reflective.

DOROTHYSEBASTIANJOANCRAWFORDANITAPAGEcop

DorothyJoanandAnitaThreeDancingDaughters

Hi Gagman . . .

I Love the Clara Bow photo . . . It's very bright and colorful.

And Great Profile Picture of Both Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. A very 'Austere & Handsome' couple.

Oh and I Love the COLOR and the 'Black &White' Photo of Sebastian, Crawford and Page. And it would be just like Joan Crawford to be holding a cigarette between her fingers !

I guess those supposedly 'zombie eyes' occur when the actor's eyes are an 'Intense Blue', huh ? I've often seen them in movies and it appears like they have No eyeballs. But that just tells me that they have very, very light Blue Eyes, as in the pictures I've copied below of Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper, Paul Newman and Cameron Diaz . . . with their intense 'Blue Eyes' !

Thanks again, Gagman ! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjBt1dkovxr9cNMyadsUnimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcReqR1KVJ7FtVzlZiPRV-4images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqHaz8JJKGWmnAleT9RdYimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYsfOlQuReYQErfwRz8C9