Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent film crushes

freddyathome

ugaarte,

Must admit, I had not exactly heard of *TIP TOES* either. To be honest, I have not seen a great deal of Dorothy Gish without Sister Lillian A little, but not a whole lot.

Here is something different. A GIF of *ROUGH HOUSE ROSIE*

PHOTO_15980663_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"The Cutest Little Rough Houser there ever was!"*

Hi Gagman . . .

I just Love the 'Mint Green' Coloring of Esther Ralston's Gown . .

And Dorothy Sebastian looks serious, toting that pistol .... Remind me not to 'tangle' with her ! :P

And that's such a Cute and 'Animated' Clara Bow in 'Rough House Rosie'.

Looks like you've just posted these . . .

That's a Great Picture of Clara Bow & a Gentleman Friend @ a Park Bench.

And Colleen Moore on the Cover of Photoplay Magazine looks Awesome. But it appears that both her eyes are Brown. ?:|

And what a Glorious Picture of Colleen in front of that Grand Mirror. What an ExtraOrdinary Dresser that is ... The whole 'Scenerio' is Just Breathtaking !

Great Pics, Gagman. :)

ugaarte,

The way that illustrators used to handle Colleen Moore's eye color, was to either make both eyes brown or blue. So the artist on this cover chose to make them brown. I have even seen Trade Ad's where First National mentions her big brown eyes.

I am dramatically better now, but earlier in the week I was vomiting about 30 times per day. From Sunday until Thursday. With lots of sickening drive heaves in between. It was just horrible. Wasn't sure I was going to get through it. Was afraid I would have to check into the hospital. Very dizzy too. Along with the constant nausea.

I think I had some sort of food poisoning? Don't believe it was the Flu? I don't think I would have started to shake it this quickly. At first I believed it was the Flu. Now, I am not so sure. Not 100% over it. But at least can get down solid foods again. Still have allot of discomfort, and indigestion, along with sower taste and stomch. Yet certainly much improved.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}ClaraAndBuddyInGetYourManParkScene.jpg

>

> *"Park Bench Confessions!" from GET YOUR MAN (1927)*

GET YOUR MAN is scheduled to be shown in 35mm at Cinefest in Syracuse, NY in March.

No word if it will be the print with two reels missing...I hope it'll be a more complete print.

Gagman ...

Yep ... it sure sounds like food poisoning to me. I've been through that awful mess too ... not very pleasant. Any smell of food would start me wretching again. I could only sip on ice chips for a couple of days ... and waited for that 'growling' sound in my stomach, telling me I was hungry ... that was a sure sign that I was much, much better . . . .

Well let me just say that Bessie Love looks incredibly young and vibrant. What beautiful long hair she had and a smile to match . . . Awww Youth !!

And Billie Dove looks 'Classy' in her Blue Outfit and Pink Turban . . .

I love her shoes ! When I was in High School in 1968, I had an English Teacher, Miss Strandberg, who would wear shoes like what Billie Dove is wearing. Miss Strandberg must have been in her 80's (or late 70's). She wore her gray hair in an 'Up do', with wispy curls falling gently around her pink, wrinkled face ... and she had the most beautiful, 'spidery' hand writing when she'd write on the blackboard. But her shoes always reminded me of the same shoes that these Classic Screen Actresses wore.

Thanks for the walk down 'Memory Lane' Gagman . . .

Edited by: ugaarte on Feb 5, 2012 2:46 PM

musicalnovelty,

That's big news that GET YOUR MAN is screening at Cinefest next month! Thanks for letting us know. I haven't heard anything about any restoration work being done at UCLA on this title, but I know they have a investor who has poured allot of money into restoring many of Clara's surviving films.So with any luck, maybe some progress has been made.

PHOTO_16002449_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

The mesmerizing Esther Ralston in a vintage fan photo, It's amazing just how much she looks like Kim Novak playing Jeanne Eagels in the 1957 Columbia Bio Pic. Nothing against Novak despite her recent public outbursts, but Esther was far more beautiful. Bob Fells has had this photo since 1978. When he actually met Ms. Ralston in person at a film festival. Even got to chit-chat with her for a good 30 minutes or so. They screened a main features along with excerpts of four more of her movies. Including LUCKY DEVIL (1925) with Richard Dix. A film that I have heard of and would like to be able to see sometime.

EstherRalstonSigned1925Portrait.jpg

That Esther Ralston is a beauty! She is more delicate than Kim Novak, Novak is more statuesque.

Kim was right to speak up. She didn't do it for herself, she spoke up for the original composers, and for future composers who should be able to know that their work is safe from plagiarism.

Despite the claim that this portrait was taken in 1925, according to the 1978 reprint, it looks more like a shot of Esther from the early 30's to me. Although, the surviving trailer for THE AMERICAN VENUS (1926), does show her with a quite similar hairstyle. So who knows? And I guess she would make for the perfect "Daisy Buchanan" wouldn't she? So why did Lois Wilson get the part? I guess I'm going off the Mia Farrow stigma that suggests that "Daisy" was a blonde. In all other adaptions of F. Scott Fitzgerald's THE GREAT GATSBY, she seems to be a Brunette? Or maybe a Redhead?

Here's one you probably have not seen before. Sticking with the Spanish theme. Other than BEN HUR you never seen any of this guys movies, and he was a major, major Star. Her movies either.

PHOTO_16020871_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Jacqueline Logan And Francis X. Buschman in THE CHARGE OF THE GAUCHOS*

This still from WHY BE GOOD?, also known as THAT'S A BAD GIRL, was only slightly larger than a thumbnail to start with. I wish that I had, could find a much larger version. Edward Martindale is the outraged Father, and Neil Hamilton is the Son with his hands full. Maybe someone else used Daddy Grumble Gut's Toothbrush???

ColleenMoorewithNeilHamiltonandEdwardMar

*"My Boy, This is The Last Straw!"*

They are so pretty! Almost perfect, it seems to me.

They made at least 3 movies that I know of together in 1928-1929 - *River of Romance*, *Someone to Love*, *Varsity*, and then *Weekend Millionaire* in 1935.

*Varsity* was Mary's first talkie. *River of Romance* was an 1830's period picture. They also made a promotional short together for Loyola University:

http://magazine.lmu.edu/archive/2010/live-wire

I found this first picture of them at two different sites, both marked Mary Brian. To me she looks like another lady we know and I include both photo reproductions because one is higher contrast than the other. it could be Mary but I want to see if you see the resemblance to another silent actress:

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are some other publicity shots I found of Mary and Buddy. I would say that they were being paired up as the next big screen couple, but she made a lot of films with Richard Arlen as you already stated, and also with Richard Dix and anyone else who came along - Neil Hamilton and Fredric March for example. She averaged between 5 and 8 pictures a year from 1926 on - in 1933 she made a whopping 9 films! From 1935 on, the number dwindles.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one has an original caption:

Hollywood, Calif.: Yesterday morning may have been fogy and dismal to the casual eye, but it dampen the ardor of lovely Mary Brian screen star. Mary arose in the wee small hours in order to be at the railroad station to meet Charles "Buddy" Rogers, returned from a ten weeks personal appearance tour of the Middle West. Rumors of a romantic attachment between the two young film stars were renewed when Miss Brian greeted the handsome "Buddy" with a typical fade-out movie kiss. Dick Powell, screen newcomer, whose name Hollywood also links with Miss Brian's was not present. Rogers resumes his screen career immediately, under the Fox banner, where he has been signed for two years. Photo shows Buddy Rogers being met at the train by Mary Brian.

Photobucket

Edited by: JackFavell on Feb 9, 2012 6:57 PM

Wendy,

Thanks for all the great info and photos. The first time I saw PETER PAN (1924) I thought that Mary Brian as Wendy was the most beautiful girl in the picture That's saying something. Esther Ralston, Anna May Wong, Virginia Brown Faire, and of course Betty Bronson, although disquised as a boy. On the other hand in BROWN OF HAVARD I barely noticed her. BEAU GESTE is another story. She is just gorgeous as Isobel.

Haven't seen ugaarte around for a few days again. And Karin has vanished. Check the other thread. I posted a new Dolores Del Rio last night. Maybe some others you missed?