Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent film crushes

freddyathome

Hi Everyone . . .

As I stated in the other 'Silent Film' thread . . . I'm NOT having an easy access to this computer ... and AM able to make these entries, as it's free @ the moment ... and so am I.

Well just let me say, as always ... Awesome, Awesome Photos here.

Gagman, that Photo of Olive Thomas dressed in Gypsy 'garb' is just 'Stupendous', to say the least. Her intense brown eyes and thick dark hair set against that beautiful 'velvety' dark green background, just sets the whole tone. And I'm loving her beaded cap and her pale lacy outfit. Just so Rich and Beautiful !

And of course, Dolores Del Rio comes in a close second, adorned with a pink floral bouquet and light blue backdrop ... Awesome !

And what else can I say about Clara Bow, other than always looking so 'animated' and whimsical in all her colorful clothing and winning smiles.

Thanks Gagman for sharing !

ugarate,

Welcome back once more. Again, Olive Thomas Eyes are violet. For some reason they must appear brown when uploaded to these boards? I think because of the shadowy look of that photo the violet just does not show up very well. Anyway, glad you like the photo. I really thought the Marion Davies turned out the best of any of them in this batch. I was not happy with the Dolores Del Rio myself because the skin-tone is just not right.

This is interesting. Corinne Griffith and D. W. Griffith conversing on the set. She appears to be in costume for the now missing Two-Color Technicolor Dream sequence to THE GARDEN OF EDEN. It's possible thjat some of this footage may have sense been loacted. I had heard something to that effect. I'll see what I can find out.

PHOTO_16296917_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Griffith To Griffith"*

I was trying to replicate the look of this earlier cropped photo that I had worked on. Not knowing that D. W. was sitting next to her at the time. Didn't turn out quite as well the second time. I like the first one better myself. Wish I had a the full photo.

PHOTO_8211356_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Here a movie for Saint Patrick's Day I have never heard of before. That looks to be Buddy Rogers and Nancy Carroll. Any stills from this at all? I have never seen any to my knowledge?

PHOTO_16308323_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"ABIE'S IRISH ROSE" (1928)*

DoloresDelRioInArtDeccoSetiing.jpg

*Dolores Del Rio In Art-Decco Setting.*

Here's another Colleen pic. This one seems to be heavily cropped. I wonder if there is a full version on-line someplace. Was not able to get rid of the line running down the guys face.

ColleenAndLarryKent1927copy.jpg

*Colleen Moore And Larry Kent-from HER WILD OAT (1927)*

Wendy,

Well, I'm not exactly sure what part that Powell played in THE RUNAWAY. So I can't say for sure that he was the Bad guy or not. It was not the only film that William made with Clara Bow. The first one the year before titled MY LADY'S LIPS in 1925 This still exists! Recently restored from original Nitrate by UCLA Film And Television Archive. Maybe it will be seen sometime? Don't know much about the picture. Rather a curiousity.

4056327057_7ed8e2ff5e1.jpg

My_Ladys_Lips_theatrical_postercopy.jpg

Wendy,

Yeah, for some reason the artist here made her look like she was 50 years old? You can tell that it is William Powell though in both. Surprised to learn that this forgotten film is still around. Must confess I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday.

I added another still of Esther Ralston and Clara from CHILDREN OF DIVORCE. Wasn't real happy with the way that it turned out though.

Wendy,

It didn't turn out well at all. See Clara's Arm's? I can't tell if they are bare, or if there are thin mesh sleeves over them? One hand is much darker than the other one is. Esther's other hand is almost black! The candle holders in the background are all wrong. The door is an ugly hue. Might start over from scratch. I love the still though. It was new to me, as I had not seen it anyplace before.

Still dreaming of seeing CHILDREN OF DIVORCE. I might upload some clips from LUCKY DEVIL on TCM-CFU though over the weekend.

Speaking of Richard Dix, Take a look at this from 1928.

PHOTO_16330347_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

This still from THE RUNAWAY was not done by me. It is from Bob Fells Old Hollywood in Color.Com.

Clararunawaycopy_Final.jpg

I think you are overly critical. The only thing that looks kind of off is Esther's hand, but even Clara's is dark because it's in a shadow. I really love the colors of the door and candle sconces. And I see what you mean about Clara's arms, but I think they look fine the way they are. I absolutely love the picture, and the colors you've chosen.

Wendy,

One of these days I will get newer software and the Skin-tones should improve. I don't know if Esther Ralston is wearing High-heels or not? She simply towers over Clara Bow in the still. Of course Clara could be wearing high heels too? Didn't know there was that much difference in height between them.

Wendy,

I uploaded about the first 10 minutes minus the opening credits of UPSTAGE (1926) with Norma Shearer and Gwen Lee on TCM-CFU this afternoon.

Here's an interesting still. I'm not sure which film it is from yet.

PHOTO_16357607_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Clara Bow, Jean Arthur And James Hall- "Lethal Nail File!"*

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gagman . . .

I'm back again, for a little while anyways ...

I just have to tell you what an Awesome Picture that is of Dolores Del Rin in the Art-Decco setting. The Colors are just pleasing to the eyes . . . her pale golden attire, the light fuscia couch with lavendar pillaws and that circular window for a backdrop. Just Beautiful !

And I just love that Poster of Olive Thomas in 'The Glorious Lady' (1919). The Colors here are just as captivating. Her Yellow gown against that deep blue background really stands out ... Awesome.

And I just have to say that I've never seen William Powell and Clara Bow 'paired' off together until I saw your Pic of 'The Runaway' (1926). I think they would have made a 'combustible' couple on screen . . .

Plus, Clara Bow looks pretty serious holding that nail file like that ....

I don't think anyone can hold a 'weapon' like that, like Clara Bow, except for a few exceptions.

Thanks Gagman.

ugaarte,

Great to have you here. You will like theee. 5 Olive Thomas Lobby-cards for OUT YONDER (1919). This film was recently restored by the Netherlands Eye Institute of Film.

PHOTO_16437885_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16437897_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16437887_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16437889_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16437881_66470_8093159_ap.jpg