Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent film crushes

freddyathome

Speaking of monocles is this Louise Brooks? I can't find any tag on the pic, and can't find any other photos of Louise with a monocle. So if it isn't who is it? Maybe a German star? I'm not even sure it's from the 20's though it looks pretty authentic to me.

Photobucket

Gagman . . .

How Awesome are those Olive Thomas Lobby Cards ? . . . And from the year 1919 yet ! . . . Just 'Grandioso' ! I've always thought her to be somewhat on the 'slight' side . . . but these photo portray her as having somewhat of a larger 'built'. But either way she looks Just as Lovely with her ringlet curls and beautiful smile.

And JackFavell . . .

Whoever that is, she certainly does look very intense and impressive. It's a gorgeous 'sepia' shot. Well, I just saw Olive Thomas with a Monocle on one of the Lobby Cards Gagman listed . . . maybe it's her (?) . . . naw, just kidding. But hopefully we'll find out who this mystery person is.

Great Pictures !

ugaarte,

Olive Thomas does look rather hefty on most of those cards. I think it is just an illusion due to the bulky clothing. In the first card she looks quite petite

Here are a couple Lobby-cards for the 1923 version of THE CHEAT with Pola Negri.

PHOTO_16449357_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16440293_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16459893_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Colleen Moore On The Zoom in Her Austin 7!*

PHOTO_16472297_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Clara Bow fends off a Masher in EVE'S LOVER (1925)*

Oh, there's my girl, 'Pola Negri', looking as 'Exotic' as always,

in those Lobby Cards of 'The Cheat' . . . Always Love the 'Antique-y Look' of these Lobby Cards ! . . . Just 'Awesome' !

And Mabel Normand . . . Always a 'Class Act' all by herself. She looks just Fantastic in her 'Sultan' get-up ! . . . And taking a 'Nature' walk along with her little 'Poochie' . . . She is just strikingly Gorgeous.

Loved her especially when she played opposite of 'Rosco Arbuckle' . . .

(I try my best to keep from calling him 'Fatty', ever since I read somewhere that he abhorred the nickname . . .)

And what a Great Vehicle that is that Colleen Moore is driving. She looks a little 'petrified' ... almost the same look when I started driving ... hee hee !

And speaking of Vehicles, how Awesome is the Vintage Cab that Clara Bow is in ... I LOVE it ! She can sure handle herself in these 'Masher' situations. . . . 'WATCH OUT !' . . . hee hee

And great Coloring in the Phyllis Haver and Billie Dove Photos. I love that shimmering 'Peachy' coloring of Phyllis' dress . . . And Billie Dove appears different somehow . . . Could it be the way she's wearing her hair ? She usually wears her hair in an 'up-do' ... closer to her head.

Just Awesome Gagman ... Thanks for Posting !

HandsomeCouple25copy.jpg

*Billie Dove and Warner Baxter in THE AIR MAIL (1925)*

ClaraBowwithKennethHarleninPoisonedParad

*Clara Bow and Kenneth Harlen in POISONED PARADISE (1924)*

ClaraBowandAlanForrestinTwoCanPlay1926.j

*Clara with Alan Forrest in TWO CAN PLAY (1926)*

Oh I love those Mabel ones!

The coloring on the two portraits - Phyllis Haver and Billie Dove - is awesome! Beautiful.

Warner Baxter never looked as handsome as he does there. I can almost imagine him as Gatsby now.

I think maybe the monocle girl is from an advertisement. It's the only other thing I can think of.

Edited by: JackFavell on Apr 13, 2012 6:57 PM

Wendy,

Continuing now with the great couples theme.

ValentinoandTerrySingleRosecopy.jpg

*Valentino and Alice Terry- "Huilo Promising To Be Good"-THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921)*

Wendy,

Thanks again as always for the comments. Just wish that we could get more loyal patronage to these threads. I believe that allot of people do not know that they are here.

As I look at the photo some more, I think that Clara may actually have a sash around her waist as well in the still from TWO CAN PLAY (1926)? That probably should have been another color. Also that still might actually be from THREE WEEKENDS (1928). I may have gotten them mixed up. I'm looking into it. Not sure the man is Alan Forrest, could be the other guy who was in the picture with her,. I don't think it's Harrison Ford Bow's leading man in THREE WEEKENDS. I'll keep checking.

In keeping with the couples theme. Here is a lovely lobby-card for a very underrated film I saw recently. Not a lost film and survives in very good condition.

PHOTO_16469599_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*John Gilbert, Douglas Fairbanks Jr.,* Rudolph Valentino, Robert Harron, Ronald Colman, Edward J. Nugent, Nils Asther, William Bakewell, Warner Baxter, Monte Blue, William Boyd, Clive Brook, Johnny Mack Brown, Edmund Burns, William Collier Jr., Ricardo Cortez, Richard Dix, Charles Farrell, Ralph Forbes, Harrison Ford, Earle Foxe, Ralph Graves, Lawrence Gray, Raymond Hackett, William Haines, Lars Hanson, James Hall, Einar Hanson, Sessue Hayakawa, Lloyd Hughes, Larry Kent, Francis Lederer, Harold Lockwood, Malcolm McGregor, Walter Miller, Tom Mix, Matt Moore, Jack Mulhall, James Murray, Conrad Nagel, Barry Norton, Ivor Novello, Jack Pickford, William Powell, Charles "Buddy" Rogers, Richard Arlen, Gilbert Roland, Milton Sills, John Boles, Conway Tearle, Hugh Trevor, Glenn Tyron, and Bert Lytell (to name a few!!!)

Ha! That's a good group, Norma! You've got quite the list going! There are quite a few I like too on your list. Maybe it would be easier to list who you don't like... :D

Matt Moore, but not Tom or Owen? I'm a big Tom Moore fan myself.

Jeff, I would love to see that movie! James Murray and Barbara Kent seem particularly suited to one another.

Edited by: JackFavell on Apr 14, 2012 4:20 PM

Another far lesser known rendering by Alberto Vargas of Olive Thomas from a 1924 Music Sheet. Olive died in September of 1920. Don't know if this was painted posthumously or if it was a previously unpublished work by Vargas? The Hairdo is very uncharacteristic of her. More of a Corinne Griffith type style.

VargasOlive_small.jpg

Yes but at least this one is recognizable as Olive Thomas.

Is it a song that was re-issued for the 1924-25 season as a memorial to Olive? I tried looking it up, but could not find it in a cursory search. There are archives, and books, my dad used to have a set that listed every popular song from the tin pan alley era. Maybe I'll check with him.

Wendy,

I'm seriously wondering if this couldn't have possibly been the original "Memories of Olive" painting that Vargas did? Over the course of time, somehow the other one which I still contend is Olive Borden got mixed up with it? I wonder if there is any record of Vargas having painted Borden? If so, and depending on when it was done, that should cast some doubt on the identity of the girl in the more famous painting.

Wendy,

Another great couple still. Featuring one of your favorite leading men.

GarboandNilsAstherArdenAndPackyfromTHESI

*Greta Garbo and Nils Asther As Arden Stuart And Packy Cannon in THE SINGLE STANDARD (1929)*

Wendy,

Glad you like it. There is allot of bleeding color, and I was not happy with that part of it.

More couples:

BettyCompsoninTheFemale1924copy_edited1.

*Warner Baxter and Betty Compson in THE FEMALE (1924)*