Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent film crushes

freddyathome

>I think the only thing wrong with Tell it To the Marines is that Lon is actually very handsome in it, but he's playing this lug who thinks he's ugly. I'd go for him in a heartbeat. He was a tremendously handsome fellow with the sensitivity of the finest artist. It's such a rare combination. I adore him too. THE MOST expressive actor ever.>

I agree, Jackie! I cannot fathom why Eleanor Boardman's nurse was attracted to Billy's obnoxious character, but of course this highlighted the unrequited-love angle for Lon that seemed to be at the "heart" of most Chaney movies. I would have flown into O'Hara's burly arms in a New York minute!

Barb and Wendy, you two have summed up Lon Chaney extremely well. He was so expressive with his beautiful hands and had the capacity to make you feel sympathy for all his characters, even the mean ones because they had a valid motive for being miserable victims of society. I also get upset when watching "Tell it to the Marines" because I can't fathom how the nurse preferred an immature young man over the respectable and handsome Sergeant O'Hara. Lon really breaks my heart in "He Who Gets Slapped" but it's nice to see him get the last laugh in the end.

Jeff, thanks for confirming the lost "Dark Angel". It's a shame we won't get to see it but at least some pictures survive. I actually recorded "The Blackbird" and saw some bits of it as it was playing. Keep posting your wonderful pictures! Sorry I haven't been in here much because college and chores take up most of my time but I will try to come in more often to read everyone's posts. Hope you're all doing well and take care!

A couple more stills from *THE NIGHT OF LOVE (1927)*

RonaldColmanTheBanditPrincecopy.jpg

*"Prince Of Bandits"*

NightOfLove7copy.jpg

*"Unrequited"*

• 5 months later...

Five new and charming stills with Colleen Moore and Neil Hamilton from *WHY BE GOOD?*

ColleenMooreLuckyDance_edited1.jpg

*"Lucky Me Dance!"*

ColleenMooreMyFellaAndMecopy_edited1.jpg

*"My Fella And I"*

ColleenMooreLeanintoThePicturecopy.jpg

*"You Take The Prize!"*

ColleenMooreHugoflovecopy.jpg

*"Love Hug"*

ColleenMooreJoyousArmscopy.jpg

*"Joyous Arms!"*

• 1 month later...

Very cool thread. I love all the pics.

I have a huuuuge crush on Greta Garbo. Pretty much a full blown obsession actually. I adore her! I also have a crush on Corinne Griffith that started just today! lol

Anita Page is absolutely gorgeous too! Then again, there's not an unattractive one among them. Why can't the stars today look like that!? sighs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to use this post this way. Please forgive me.

This is a message for gagman. Please get in touch with me through my email. I have tried to contact you but it doesn't appear my messages are being forwarded to you. I have a piece of authentic memorabilia I would like to send you. I am sure you will appreciate it. It relates to Colleen Moore...

Your friend, Roy

• 2 weeks later...

If I was alive during the silent film era, I would have fallen for Rudolph Valentino and Douglas Fairbanks Sr

search?q=rudolph[ivalentino&qpvt=rudolph[/i]valentino&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=A5E6384A2EC48A923B122BC428452E5DD53B6023&selectedIndex=223]

search?q=douglas[ifairbanks[/i]srclassichollywood&qs=IM&form=QBIR&pq=douglas+fairba&sc=8-14&sp=5&sk=IM4#view=detail&id=86CAD43233F48D484CDCBE651F1773689519CF9D&selectedIndex=4]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some incredible stills here of Dolores Del Rio and Rod La Rocque in *RESURRECTION (1926),* Directed by Edwin Carewe. This is not a lost film, but it is extremely rare. Possibly not seen since it's original run. Amazed to find out that almost all of Dolores Silents still survive. With *RAMONA (1928)* being newly restored and being premiered with Live Mont Alto Orchestra score at UCLA later this month March 29th. Sure wish I could be there.

PHOTO_20840372_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Horse Sense"*

1622025_10203106534774489_1603495601_n.j

*"Ravished!"*

CopyofDoloresDelRioandRodLaRocqueinRESUR

*Dolores Del Rio and Rod La Rocque in RESURRECTION (1926)*

I have a whole bunch more of Dolores. Have a gob of stills from *LOVES OF CARMEN, RAMONA,* and *REVENGE,* so watch for those. Disappointed that most of the regulars are no longer here. That includes me, as I haven't been around here much either in several months after my Kidney Stones.

PHOTO_20845210_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Barefoot Gypsy" - From REVENGE (1928)*

PHOTO_20842212_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"In Tip Top Shape"*

PHOTO_20840098_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Like Dark Opals"*

PHOTO_20845201_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Ramona and Alessandro cast out!"*

PHOTO_20840378_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Dolores with Warner Baxter - "I Dread The Dawn" - From RAMONA (1928). Directed by Edwin Carewe*

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I've missed so much Jeff, thanks!  My heart can't take seeing some of my favorites colorized and Warner Baxter looks great as an indian.  Hope you're feeling better!  Hi to all of my buddies in here, hope you're all doing well. 

• 4 weeks later...

It has been years since I have been here.  Computer problems. :angry:

Anyway, I see this thread is still going strong.  I know I listed my favorites years ago.  But I will just say for now that I am going through a major Gilbert Roland phase.  That man is pretty much near perfection!  :wub: