Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has This Been Addressed?

I haven't been on here for quite sometime so I don't know if this issue has been addressed, and that deals with why does TCM show the same movies over and over again when there are so many made?

Secondly, on the "Suggest a Movie" page on this site, the movies I suggested aren't showing up.  They did the day I submitted them, but not now.

Thanks!!

Yes, this topic comes up from time to time.

Part of the reason is that there's a "library" of films that are at least partially tied to the collection of films owned by Ted Turner when the network was founded. I use the term cautiously, because every time I do, someone posts that my assumptions are ignorant of the workings of licensing and package deals. But there is a group of films that TCM is clearly able to show for no or very little cost. Most of these films were originally made by MGM, United Artists, RKO and Warner Bros. (pre-1949). Also some foreign films and films originally produced by an independent studio like American International Pictures that ultimately ended up under the control of one of these bigger entities. Also, there are films that have fallen into the public domain.

Now within this body of films, there are some that are clearly shown more than others and some that are shown rarely or not at all. From time to time, somebody on here will post something like, "Why the heck doesn't TCM ever show Film X? It's from MGM!", and since nobody at TCM ever comments on these decisions (ever), we mostly just have to guess the reasons based on certain assumptions. TCM seems to show movies that are more critically acclaimed or had great box office success than those that aren't or didn't. Also, TCM is a "star-driven" network (credit where credit is due - TopBilled is the first person I remember posing this theory), and so, films starring Cary Grant or Audrey Hepburn or John Wayne or Judy Garland or the really big of the big stars tend to get shown the most often than films with B-level stars or actors you've never heard of.

Hope that's helpful.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, this topic comes up from time to time.

boy, does it ever.:lol:

tcm is gonna show what they wanna show and that is an end to the matter.

we doan count! we should but we don't

Well said, sew. But might I add that as I understand it, stations rent "packages" which typically contain one big feature, several good movies with big stars, a smattering of lesser movies and a handful of programmers & shorts. The distributer allows (or requires) how many times a movie can be broadcast for the rented time period. That is why you'll see something like TWO GUYS FROM MILWAUKEE play every month in succession of three months and then not see it for years.

This has been explained to me by a retired TV technician who would rent these packages for his TV station for years.

I remember seeing ALL THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS on TCM for years. The week I bought a recorder, it stopped showing, never to be seen again! 

As for the suggestion box-I would surmise if there are several consistent requests for a star, movie or genre, it may sway whomever's choosing through "packages"

• Like 1

Something I try to do, is to suggest household names-- the big stars-- who had good critically lauded films made at Paramount, Universal or Republic (titles outside the TCM library).

I was glad fellow poster Beth started the thread asking for TCM to make Carole Lombard a Star of the Month. She's exactly the type of person TCM would promote and her being Star of the Month would probably mean two or three premieres of Paramount gems she made in the 30s.

So it's best when these are people that have titles in the TCM library but also have other must-see stuff the programmers would be compelled to lease from the other studios.

Make sense?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

since nobody at TCM ever comments on these decisions (ever),

TCM may be more likely to comment if the answer is the negative.  I once asked them on Facebook whether they were able to show the 1950 movie 'Unchained" (which spawned the classic song "Unchained Melody), and they promptly replied no.  I asked because IMDb said this was a Warner Bros. movie.  But TCM replied they no longer had the rights to it.

From that, I infer that if they don't answer, that means the status of the title is somewhat uncertain, thus still hopeful for the viewers.  In short, no answer is better than an answer.

6 hours ago, backpacker2007 said:

I haven't been on here for quite sometime so I don't know if this issue has been addressed, and that deals with why does TCM show the same movies over and over again when there are so many made?

Secondly, on the "Suggest a Movie" page on this site, the movies I suggested aren't showing up.  They did the day I submitted them, but not now.

Thanks!!

I really don't think they do. I mean without there being a sufficient gap of time between showings. Sure, occasionally they will show the same movie a day apart, but that might just be because of inquiries and to make it available at two times for viewing. I scope out the schedule monthly and am impressed with how many different movies they show continually. Maybe you need to clarify what you mean by showing them "over and over" since all television channels show things like "Gone With the Wind" or "Singing in the Rain" or "The Wizard of Oz" over and over, if you mean by that a few times a year, and who complains since really famous and popular movies do get shown more often for obvious reasons.

In defense of TCM, they show movies, that even after living a lifetime of reading books about films I've never seen, are shown, that are incredibly obscure B-programmers from studios. What other cable channel can even come close to that kind of scheduling? None. Try to find a network or cable channel which shows films of Kay Francis or John Gilbert or foreign films from the 1950's and 1960's and again, you will find none.