Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Red Flags

CaveGirl

Now some people might only want to see the kind in the sunset, but I'm talking about dire warnings that show up in opening credits for films. I always will watch the credits, for the normal reason of a red flag since it has someone involved that I might hate, detest, despise and abhor or for the other diametrically opposed reason that there's something about the film that is so bad it's good. This happened just over the weekend, when I flipped channels and realized that John Agar and Zontar were on the warpath again.

Not to totally disparage this actor, since he's not really that bad, but I think he started doing a bit of schlock in the years after being a bit, shall we say, mean to America's sweetheart, Shirley Temple...namely her ex-hubby, John Agar. Now he started at the top working in films of David O. Selznick like "Fort Apache" in the 1940's but then worked his way down to classics like "Tarantula" and "The Mole People". Now don't think I am disparaging such films, since I kind of love them, but in a Hollywood career way, they were not the top of the heap for his reputation probably. The early ones of sci-fi status were typical but then they descended into a strange maelstrom of weirdness that was even offbeat for a B-film as in Agar's "Zontar, the Thing from Venus" which is my favorite of all his films. Ripped off from Corman's "It Conquered the World" ostensibly and directed by Larry Buchanan, this film is the high water mark in inadvertent humor and amateur filmmaking. It looks like it was shot in Super 8 by some dad, who had some film left after shooting his daughter's takeoff for the prom. The actual cinematographer, and excuse the use of the word, was Robert Alcott, also famous for filming "Scum of the Earth". It is kind of blurry and hence seems so real in its mediocre takes, yet we can enjoy it since we have the flying albatross creatures commanded by Zontar, that swoop down and try to inject their apparatuses in people's necks to control them. The highlight is seeing Agar's buddy in the film, Keith [who resembles no less than a love child between Roger Daltrey and Andy Williams] go on and on in monologues, while flailing his arms wildly. He is so awful that he makes John Agar seem to be an actor of the calibre of Laurence Olivier! Actually Agar is not a bad actor, he just was in a lot of films like this one as his career waned, as in "The Brain from Planet Arous" and "Daughter of Doctor Jekyll", but even that one has the added allure of the wonderful Gloria Talbott to buoy it up from the  dredges of the pits.

So for me, a Red Flag that tells me John Agar is in the film, is a warning that I should watch and will really enjoy myself tremendously.

Name a Red Flag about a movie that either is a warning not to watch or a sign to watch. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, laffite said:

If I haphazardly turned on TCM and right at the opening credits I would have a host of red flags if the name of Tyrone Power were to infect my eyes.

A very handsome dude and according to those who knew him at Xavier University, a quite gentlemanly one too! I only wince a bit when I see one of his very early parts where the studio has overplucked his brows.

Great discernment on your part, Laffite.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

giphy.gif

Well, I would have watched that one. He's so damned cute. Does he have something wrong with his eyes :lol:

3 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

A very handsome dude and according to those who knew him at Xavier University, a quite gentlemanly one too!

Great discernment on your part, Laffite.

I have special sight. And my discernment skills are off the charts.

• Like 1

First CG, and re the first sentence in your OP here...

"Now some people might only want to see the kind in the sunset..."

...but I believe the title of that old song was "Red SAILS in the Sunset", not "flags".

BUT, and now that we've gotten THAT out of the way here, YEAH, for whatever reason whenever I see the name "Lyle Talbot"(and whose career decline as far as I know wasn't caused by any real life troubles such as Agar's) in a list of a movie's cast, I'm somehow just a little more intrigued in the idea of watching that film.

(...don't know why exactly, except for the possible idea that as I kid I discovered that the guy who played Ozzie and Harriet's next door neighbor was once supposedly groomed to be the "matinee idol" type back in the early-1930s)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

First CG, and re the first sentence in your OP here...

"Now some people might only want to see the kind in the sunset..."

...but I believe the title of that old song was "Red SAILS in the Sunset", not "flags".

BUT, and now that we've gotten THAT out of the way here, YEAH, for whatever reason whenever I see the name "Lyle Talbot"(and whose career decline as far as I know wasn't caused by any real life troubles such as Agar's) in a list of a movie's cast, I'm somehow just a little more intrigued in the idea of watching that film.

(...don't know why exactly, except for the possible idea that as I kid I discovered that the guy who played Ozzie and Harriet's next door neighbor was once supposedly groomed to be the "matinee idol" type back in the early-1930s)

You are such a nitpicker, Dargo...yeeesh! And on top of that, you have brought up a very volatile topic, the Talbot family. Now I do appreciate your entering good old Lyle into the fray, as being a motive to watch a film. But this also brings to mind his talentless and annoying progeny, Stephen Talbot who played Gilbert on "Leave It To Beaver" who I can't stand. With characters like Tooey, and Larry Mondello and the great Eddie Haskell to work with, why oh why did the producers put that horrid child in the mix, I ask you? I blame Lyle Talbot who was probably buddies or something with someone at the top, or was owed favors by Hugh Beaumont and got them to employ his nasty little son. Well, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I like Lyle, but Stephen stinks and I could only wish he never graced the sidewalks of Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

You are such a nitpicker, Dargo...yeeesh! And on top of that, you have brought up a very volatile topic, the Talbot family. Now I do appreciate your entering good old Lyle into the fray, as being a motive to watch a film. But this also brings to mind his talentless and annoying progeny, Stephen Talbot who played Gilbert on "Leave It To Beaver" who I can't stand. With characters like Tooey, and Larry Mondello and the great Eddie Haskell to work with, why oh why did the producers put that horrid child in the mix, I ask you? I blame Lyle Talbot who was probably buddies or something with someone at the top, or was owed favors by Hugh Beaumont and got them to employ his nasty little son. Well, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I like Lyle, but Stephen stinks and I could only wish he never graced the sidewalks of Mayfield.

LOL

GILBERT.jpg

"Gee, I dunno Beav, but that lady they call 'Cave Girl' sure don't like me for some reason! Ya think it might be 'on account'a' my lousy acting or somethin'?!"

(...actually CG, I agree with ya here...little Stephen's best move WAS to go into the production end of The Biz, alright!)  

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

GILBERT.jpg

"Gee, I dunno Beav, but that lady they call 'Cave Girl' sure don't like me for some reason! Ya think it might be 'on account'a' my lousy acting or somethin'?!"

(...actually CG, I agree with ya here...little Stephen's best move WAS to go into the production end of The Biz, alright!)  

And he has the gall to act like he is too good to have even been in the show, which as we all know, is his only real claim to fame. What a dweeb! 

He was the worst child actor since the Mauch twins!

Hey now, leave little Stevey alone. I thought he was very believable as Gilbert.

Of course fair haired Gilbert was a pretty sneaky fellow and not much of a

reliable friend. That's what made him interesting. He did nasty things on purpose

that Larry did because he was stupid. Tooey? Toooey was a four-eyed nerd who

didn't know his as from his elbow. Fooey on Tooey. I think Lyle was in a few

episodes of Beaver himself. One where Beaver had to go to a girls' party and

Lyle played the dad whose den Beaver wound up in so Lyle could show him so

manly man things. I think that was Lyle, though I wouldn't swear to it.

• Haha 1

I used to avoid any movie with either Ed Begley (Sr.) or Helen Hunt.  Couldn't - and still can't - stand either one of them.

But then I mellowed on Begley, at least.  I knew he was an excellent actor (from what I'd read) and was in some films I really wanted to see.  So I grinned & bore it, repeating in my head a mantra of "concentrate on the character, not the actor"  as well as focusing on the other actors around him and was able to watch & enjoy "12 Angry Men" and Rod Serling's "Patterns" just counting two.

Far as Helen Hunt, well, only because I liked Jack Nicholson did I see "As Good As It Gets" and bit another bullet for "Castaway" because I adore Tom Hanks. Unfortunately, she played such a repulsive character in "Castaway" which only served to cement my dislike of her. 

Imagine, not wanting to see Tom when he returned from the island. And after all he'd been through! And then jerking him around when he had to go see her!  B*itch!!!?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Zea said:

Imagine, not wanting to see Tom when he returned from the island. And after all he'd been through! And then jerking him around when he had to go see her!  B*itch!!!?

She probably thought he smelled bad.

• Haha 1

The exaggerated phony facial expressions Elizabeth Taylor and Michael Caine have as they're playing table tennis over the opening credits of X, Y, and Zee is a signal that something is about to go spectacularly wrong.  And boy does it ever go wrong!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zea said:

I used to avoid any movie with either Ed Begley (Sr.) or Helen Hunt.  Couldn't - and still can't - stand either one of them.

But then I mellowed on Begley, at least.  I knew he was an excellent actor (from what I'd read) and was in some films I really wanted to see.  So I grinned & bore it, repeating in my head a mantra of "concentrate on the character, not the actor"  as well as focusing on the other actors around him and was able to watch & enjoy "12 Angry Men" and Rod Serling's "Patterns" just counting two.

Far as Helen Hunt, well, only because I liked Jack Nicholson did I see "As Good As It Gets" and bit another bullet for "Castaway" because I adore Tom Hanks. Unfortunately, she played such a repulsive character in "Castaway" which only served to cement my dislike of her. 

Seems like a really small part to generate such hatred and the use of a hateful, anti-woman term. I haven't seen the movie in many years. Doesn't she ultimately chase after him and kiss him and contemplate running away with him? Or am I hallucinating that? Her character had to move on in his absence and his suddenly being alive I would assume was genuinely upsetting. But anyway something like 80 per cent of the movie is Hanks alone on an island. Her part, while critical, is relatively marginal to the overall story.

It's Cast Away, by the way, two words, sort of a nice little poetic license to imply what has happened to Hanks' character.

"Red flags" in the credits?  Nah, not really, but plenty sometimes in titles, and certainly in synopses.  words like, "dance", "dancing",  or any movies that have anything to do with pseudo "hip-hop" dancers(white guys with their hats on backwards)  "stomping" their ways to fame and fortune.  Or anything in the title or summary that indicates cheer leading competitions. 

BTW:  On "Beaver", I don't mind Gilbert that much.  Knew the kid's real last name was TALBOT but didn't think he WAS related to Lyle.  Anyway....

It was RICH CORRELL's Rich Rickover whom I couldn't stand much.  And, weren't the guys who played WHITEY and TOOEY brothers in "real life"?

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Seems like a really small part to generate such hatred and the use of a hateful, anti-woman term. I haven't seen the movie in many years. Doesn't she ultimately chase after him and kiss him and contemplate running away with him? Or am I hallucinating that? Her character had to move on in his absence and his suddenly being alive I would assume was genuinely upsetting. But anyway something like 80 per cent of the movie is Hanks alone on an island. Her part, while critical, is relatively marginal to the overall story.

It's Cast Away, by the way, two words, sort of a nice little poetic license to imply what has happened to Hanks' character.

When I wrote....  "Imagine, not wanting to see Tom when he returned from the island. And after all he'd been through! And then jerking him around when he had to go see her!  B*itch!!!"?

...I was being totally facetious with an obviously lame attempt at humor by writing it in the vernacular of a 15-year old girl.

If I had any point to make re Hunt, it was just that my dislike for her even extended to her appearing in what amounted to a bit part.

Thanks for the correction on the Cast Away spelling, btw. Guess my mind was clouded with visions of Hunt.?

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, Vautrin said:

Hey now, leave little Stevey alone. I thought he was very believable as Gilbert.

Of course fair haired Gilbert was a pretty sneaky fellow and not much of a

reliable friend. That's what made him interesting. He did nasty things on purpose

that Larry did because he was stupid. Tooey? Toooey was a four-eyed nerd who

didn't know his as from his elbow. Fooey on Tooey. I think Lyle was in a few

episodes of Beaver himself. One where Beaver had to go to a girls' party and

Lyle played the dad whose den Beaver wound up in so Lyle could show him so

manly man things. I think that was Lyle, though I wouldn't swear to it.

Crimeney, Vautrin...next you will be saying that you dug Judy Hensler and Fred Rutherford. I'm gonna start calling you the Lord of the Manor from now on!

Far be it from me to try to control you though, so if you see Gilbert Bates anytime soon, tell him I said "Hi, Gilbert". Back in his youth though in Mayfield, I would have referred to him as Master Bates.

20 hours ago, Zea said:

I can understand the HH thing, but Begley is such a good actor he can make you hate him, which may have been what turned you off? And we must thank him for his progeny, cuz is anyone cooler than Ed Begley, Junior, I ask you? What a great and geeky dead drummer he can play, a sure sign of acting prowess, Zea. 

21 hours ago, Zea said:

I assume you like Bette Davis.   Uh,  she had played some very unsympathetic characters in her day (wink \ wink).    Bette is still my #1.

As for Ed Begley,  he played some sympathetic characters;  E.g. In Odds Against Tomorrow;  while he is a retired cop that turns to crime,  he is fair to the Belafonte character while the other member of the 'gang',  Robert Ryan is an out-and-out racist.    

Begley is also the a nice colleague and right-hand-man of Bogie in Deadline USA (a film the entire WH staff should watch!).

Note that Fred MacMurray had some interesting stories about how fans approached him after roles like The Apartment (one women really went off on him),  because these fans couldn't separate the actor from the character.

So yea,  keep saying that mantra!   But when that doesn't work,  find a film where they play a sympathetic character;  E.g. Bette in The Great Lie   (my wife and I just saw this on George Brent day, and she just keep saying,  "wow,  that Astor women is a XYZ! and I had to say 'no honey,  she is a fine actress!).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Pardon me for being a pain in the you know what, but I'd say if you want to see a good movie about being stranded nautically, then forget this Tom Hanks' film and try Lina Wertmuller's film, "Swept Away" from the 1970's with Giancarlo Gianini. It not only has an adventurous storyline but some really interesting objectives beyond just looking for cocoanuts.

45 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Pardon me for being a pain in the you know what, but I'd say if you want to see a good movie about being stranded nautically, then forget this Tom Hanks' film and try Lina Wertmuller's film, "Swept Away" from the 1970's with Giancarlo Gianini. It not only has an adventurous storyline but some really interesting objectives beyond just looking for cocoanuts.

While CaveGirl has a sound recommendation here,  just make sure you see the 1974 Italian version of Swept Away and NOT the Madonna 2002 version!!!     

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While CaveGirl has a sound recommendation here,  just make sure you see the 1974 Italian version of Swept Away and NOT the Madonna 2002 version!!!     

Oh, gosh...yes! That would be a horrifying mistake to see the Madonna one. Though I might have enjoyed seeing Giancarlo Gianini put her in her place! Thanks, James.

I know I've told the following story around here in the past, but all this talk of disliking an actor or actress because they very often play the role of someone hard to like in films has once again reminded me of how my mother(my adoptive mother) could never seem to get over and disassociate the actress Gene Tierney(she with the downright sexiest overbite in all Hollywood history...but I digress) from her role as the evil and manipulative woman in the film Leave Her to Heaven.

The scene in that film that would apparently cement Mom's dislike of her would be years earlier watching Tierney induce the miscarriage of her pregnancy by staging a fall down a flight of stairs.

The lead-in to this being that before I was adopted by my mother and father, they had suffered through two separate stillbirths during the late-1940s, and thus precipitating my adoption in 1952.

And so, I suppose my mother just could never understand how anyone could do such a thing.

(...nope, I'll never forget that time the name "Gene Tierney" came up in our household and my Mom telling me why she disliked her so)

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Crimeney, Vautrin...next you will be saying that you dug Judy Hensler and Fred Rutherford. I'm gonna start calling you the Lord of the Manor from now on!

Far be it from me to try to control you though, so if you see Gilbert Bates anytime soon, tell him I said "Hi, Gilbert". Back in his youth though in Mayfield, I would have referred to him as Master Bates.

Wait a minute. Fred and Judy were a thing? That blows my mind, totally. Who would conceive that

square ol Freddy boy was a cradle snatcher. Parents, better stock up on barrel hoops to spread in

your driveway. Rutherford is on the prowl. GB was very untrustworthy. As an adult I wouldn't be

surprised if he spent time in the pen for some white collar crime. Beaver didn't have much luck in

picking friends. Yes, a boy's best friend is his mother, even if she didn't want to wear that Oh La La

blouse. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings