Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Movie Soulmate

CaveGirl

My movie soulmate [and thanks for asking!] is Pop Leibel from the film "Vertigo".

Why you ask? Well, because he doesn't just know historical facts and figures, he knows the really interesting and scintillating personal background of things, as when Midge takes Scotty to see him to find out about Carlotta Valdes and San Francisco history, and says to him something about how they want to know about things like "who killed who at the Trocadero in 1889" or whatever, and Pop obliges them with his background knowledge of Carlotta having the baby, and then being thrown away by the wealthy man who built her a fine house.

Pop Leibel also owns a bookstore, namely the Argosy Book Shop, and I could get into that, since I like Greek stories about Jason and the Argonauts, I use Argo cornstarch for cooking all my Chinese food in my wok, and I always wanted to be an owner of a Pop and Mom shop, even though I have no children that I know of...

Who's your movie soulmate?

• Like 1

While I don't necessarily buy into the concept of "soulmates"(IMHO a WAY too overused term) I realize you're asking which character(s) in which movie do any of us closely RELATE to.  And in my case, it's hard to nail them all down as too, IMHO, Any peripheral wisecracking/wiseguy character might fit the bill.  Most recently, it would be HENRY FONDA'S Norman Thayer  from "On Golden Pond".  His off-beat and "off the left wall" humor is right up my alley.  In fact, I've been told by BOTH wives( at different times of course) that would also be the kind of guy to come up with the "I think the Indians used a different grade of aluminum..." comment the guy made when the kid gushed about there being a canoe there, "Just like the INDIANS used!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Recently I watched an Irish police drama. The show ran for awhile so there were quite a few episodes to go through. One of the characters strongly resonated with me. Like I couldn't stop thinking about that character. The actor who plays him hasn't done much film or television work since his background (and I presume first love) is in theater.

At any rate I found his email address and sent him a note describing what that character meant to me. I didn't expect a reply but he did reply within an hour. I had a nice little conversation with him. In my second email I told him how I thought his acting choices made the character something special and how I interpreted the character based on his performance and the writing. 

It was a fun "exercise" because of course you have no idea how much the character is like the actor, and if they see the character in the same way a viewer does. Also this had occurred after his character had been written out of the show, so it was easier to go over the character "in review" instead of while he was in the middle of filming it.

I will be following his career to see if he gets typecast or if he is able to demonstrate greater range. If this is the only major screen role he ever has, it is a highlight and he still has managed to make his mark.

I wouldn't call the character a soulmate, but something soulful came across to me in the portrayal. And I can't help but think others were affected. I was on cloud 9 when he replied to my email, because he seemed really gracious which just reinforced my being a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

While I don't necessarily buy into the concept of "soulmates"(IMHO a WAY too overused term) I realize you're asking which character(s) in which movie do any of us closely RELATE to.  And in my case, it's hard to nail them all down as too, IMHO, Any peripheral wisecracking/wiseguy character might fit the bill.  Most recently, it would be HENRY FONDA'S Norman Thayer  from "On Golden Pond".  His off-beat and "off the left wall" humor is right up my alley.  In fact, I've been told by BOTH wives( at different times of course) that would also be the kind of guy to come up with the "I think the Indians used a different grade of aluminum..." comment the guy made when the kid gushed about there being a canoe there, "Just like the INDIANS used!"  :D 

Sepiatone

"Both wives"??? Are you sure there have only been two, Sepia? I find that "peripheral wisecracking/wiseguys" often end up with a few more than even Tommy Manville might have had. By the way, though you are now like Norman Thayer were you like Eddie Haskell in your misspent youth? Thanks!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Recently I watched an Irish police drama. The show ran for awhile so there were quite a few episodes to go through. One of the characters strongly resonated with me. Like I couldn't stop thinking about that character. The actor who plays him hasn't done much film or television work since his background (and I presume first love) is in theater.

At any rate I found his email address and sent him a note describing what that character meant to me. I didn't expect a reply but he did reply within an hour. I had a nice little conversation with him. In my second email I told him how I thought his acting choices made the character something special and how I interpreted the character based on his performance and the writing. 

It was a fun "exercise" because of course you have no idea how much the character is like the actor, and if they see the character in the same way a viewer does. Also this had occurred after his character had been written out of the show, so it was easier to go over the character "in review" instead of while he was in the middle of filming it.

I will be following his career to see if he gets typecast or if he is able to demonstrate greater range. If this is the only major screen role he ever has, it is a highlight and he still has managed to make his mark.

I wouldn't call the character a soulmate, but something soulful came across to me in the portrayal. And I can't help but think others were affected. I was on cloud 9 when he replied to my email, because he seemed really gracious which just reinforced my being a fan.

That is a really interesting story, TB. I think that it probably meant just as much to this person that you were kind enough to appreciate his work, as his work meant to you. Often this might be just the needed amount of encouragement that anyone needs to keep on at a job they love but that can prove to be hard going a lot of the time. I guess in this regard the internet is good at putting two people together easily with instant connections.

In the olden days, it would take a person finding an address for a performer and then sending them a fan letter. I knew someone who said as a kid they used to do that, and would be so thrilled if the addressee actually answered their letter. They said they once got a personal note from Burt Reynolds and still have it. Often, as you say, our connection and interest in a character, might be motivated by something personal they stir within us, that resonates. Thanks for your submission to the thread!

19 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

"Both wives"??? Are you sure there have only been two, Sepia? I find that "peripheral wisecracking/wiseguys" often end up with a few more than even Tommy Manville might have had. By the way, though you are now like Norman Thayer were you like Eddie Haskell in your misspent youth? Thanks!

Yep, only two. 

And there's actually NO comparison to Norman THayer and Eddie Haskell.  It's VERY doubtful that any kid like Haskell would EVER grow to be a man like Thayer.  

And when I think of "peripheral wiseguys" I think of those like;  FRANK FAYLEN, WILLIAM BENDIX or GORDON RHODES in "Detective Story" or the crew in BARNEY MILLER.  ;)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep, only two. 

And there's actually NO comparison to Norman THayer and Eddie Haskell.  It's VERY doubtful that any kid like Haskell would EVER grow to be a man like Thayer.  

And when I think of "peripheral wiseguys" I think of those like;  FRANK FAYLEN, WILLIAM BENDIX or GORDON RHODES in "Detective Story" or the crew in BARNEY MILLER.  ;)

Sepiatone

Love Faylen and he was still a wiseguy even as Herbert T.!

William Bendix, on the other hand could be a wiseguy or a sociopath, when he didn't want to be the downtrodden Riley types. Grandon was such a versatile and believable actor, he probably could have appeared on the Huntley Brinkley news show, as the head of CIA, and no one would have questioned it. Thanks, Sepia and glad to know you are not really Tommy Manville.

My movie soulmate?

Henry Fonda.

But specifically in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Aaaah, didn't KNOW I had a dark side, did ya?!

(...juuuuust kiddin', o' course...although like most people, I DO have a bit of a dark side, ya know...just not NEARLY as much as Hank had in THAT flick, thankfully) ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

My movie soulmate?

Henry Fonda.

But specifically in Once Upon a Time in the West.

(...juuuuust kiddin', o' course...although like most people, I DO have a bit of a dark side, ya know...just not NEARLY as much as Hank had in THAT flick, thankfully) ;)

hqdefault.jpg

"Dark side? Me? I don't know what you mean by that. By the way, if you're wondering what that blunt object is sticking in your mouth its that's my colt .45 and as soon as someone strikes up some Ennio Morricone music I'm going to blow off your **** head! Aside from that, have a nice day."

• Haha 1

Henry-Fonda-as-Frank-in-Once-Upon-a-Time

"I'll be all around in the dark cause I'm a small part of a big soul. The big soul that's all of us. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beating up a guy, I'll be there. Mind you if there's ever some small kid present as a witness to see what I do to that cop, I'll have to blow his **** head off. Aside from that, I'm cool."

Hey, ya got to love a guy like that! Okay, time for me to get back on my meds again.

• Haha 2

Ronald Colman's character in Lost Horizon.  I feel both his dissatisfaction with the world as it is when he goes on his little bender while he's on the plane, as well as the desire for that ideal world once he's in Shangri-La.  Those melancholy eyes are indeed "soulful" when he leaves.

• Like 3

On 8/19/2018 at 8:24 PM, Dargo said:

I thought YOUR only "dark side", livin' in the AZ as you are, was the ARM you might have out your CAR WINDOW when you drive.  You know, the one that got all that TAN on it?  :D

Like I remember my DAD'S arm always used to look!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I thought YOUR only "dark side", livin' in the AZ as you are, was the ARM you might have out your CAR WINDOW when you drive.  You know, the one that got all that TAN on it?  :D

Like I remember my DAD'S arm always used to look!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

;)

Good guess Sepia, but because I'm outside playing tennis twice a week, both my arms are pretty much tanned in equal measure.

To say nothing about both of my arms occasionally being exposed to the Arizona sun while I'm riding one of my motorcycles around here. Especially lately, while on this new Indian Motorcycle I purchased recently...

ccddb497e7a611e5bcac22000ae41c10.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rosebette said:

If you're all going to the dark side, I own a T-Shirt with Bette Davis' picture and the statement "What a dump!"

Hmmmm....and so lemme guess here, rosebette.

On the reverse side of that T-shirt is this company's logo...

waste-management_416x416.jpg

(...I dunno...just a lucky guess I suppose)

;)

• Haha 2

No, I got the T-Shirt at the Warner Brothers store more than 25 years ago.  (They don't have them anymore!)  I also have one I bought for my dad with Bogie saying, "I stick my neck out for nobody," a white one with a Warners' logo and faces of many stars, as well as a Perfect Specimen cup with Errol Flynn and Joan Blondell (the handle broke and I can't bear to throw it out).  The necks of the T-shirts are all frayed, but I still wear them to bed.  However, my husband does say the Bette Davis shirt is a real turn-off.

• Haha 1

Still can't probably top my old "Phi Zappa Crappa" poster I bought on Plum St.( Detroit's version of Haight-Ashbury in the late '60's) in '68,  OR the "Stoned Agin" Robert Crumb poster bought in '68 too, and at the same little shop on Plum.  ;)

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmmm....and so lemme guess here, rosebette.

On the reverse side of that T-shirt is this company's logo...

waste-management_416x416.jpg

(...I dunno...just a lucky guess I suppose)

;)

Lol. That is my garbage company!  I didn't realize that it was a nationwide company.  I thought it was just Portland Metro Area.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:48 AM, speedracer5 said:

Lol. That is my garbage company!  I didn't realize that it was a nationwide company.  I thought it was just Portland Metro Area.

Nope speedy, the mob..ahem, excuse me..the Waste Management Company operates in many parts of this country of ours.

;)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings