Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Really, give me a break - does this happens in real life.

hamradio

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Do you ever see a line of drummers on hand just in case there is a knife fight?

In days of yore, such things were considered essential to keep up your knife fighting cred levels.

Nowadays, the line of drummers has been replaced with a line of acolytes armed with cellphones to capture your antics for youtube posterity (and possible use by the prosecution)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2018 at 4:22 AM, hamradio said:

Do you ever see a line of drummers on hand just in case there is a knife fight?

"Dune" (1984) 

:blink::lol:

xpzmhl.jpg

Are there other such scenes in movies that are simply downright silly? Not referring to super human / hero, supernatural stuff.

Oh, you mean like having a young attractive woman find someone like Luciano Pavarotti exceedingly super appealing in "Yes, Giorgio", even though she can't get within five feet of getting to smooch with him? 

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 2:56 PM, Vautrin said:

I laugh every time I see that scene, even though I know it's coming. Not even

Superfly or Shaft had their own theme musicians following them around.

Elvis had invisible backup singers accompanying him when he sang as he rode his motorcycle, Vautrin.

Get with the program!

CaveGirl, I thought I was the only person who would admit to having seen Yes, Giorgio. Well, the music is great, anyway. Believe it or not, I have read that originally there were plans for Pavarotti to have a rear-view nude scene. No, I'm not making this up.

13 minutes ago, kingrat said:

CaveGirl, I thought I was the only person who would admit to having seen Yes, Giorgio. Well, the music is great, anyway. Believe it or not, I have read that originally there were plans for Pavarotti to have a rear-view nude scene. No, I'm not making this up.

OMG!! Glad that was nixed!!! The movie was bombsville as it was!

12 minutes ago, kingrat said:

And thus requiring the film be shot in 70mm Super Panavision which they didn't have the money for, I presume.

(...there went those damn bean counters again!) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Elvis had invisible backup singers accompanying him when he sang as he rode his motorcycle, Vautrin.

Get with the program!

Well that's nothing compared to having a visible band playing generic funk following

you down the street. Not even the King had that. My excuse is that the only Elvis

film I've seen is Jailhouse Rock and I don't remember if I made it all the way through

that one. Be careful when you take career advice from a small time grifter from

Holland.

• Haha 1

If I'm ever in court, can I get out of it by charming their better natures with a big "Aww..." feel-good speech directly to the jury about why it was the right thing to do, like at the end of all those 80's comedies?

(...Can't I even bring in some sick kids, like at the end of "Patch Adams"?)

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Now, now, King...don't jump to conclusions! I only saw the previews, which was enough for me. I still feel sorry for that Kathryn Harrold, who played the love interest. I probably would watch it now though, just for some self-inflicted suffering that I'm sure I deserve.

22 hours ago, kingrat said:

I thought I was the only person who would admit to having seen Yes, Giorgio. Well, the music is great, anyway. Believe it or not, I have read that originally there were plans for Pavarotti to have a rear-view nude scene. No, I'm not making this up.

I'll admit I tried to watch it, along with "Monsignor", as part of a series on "lost" John Williams scores.  (Er, the Oscar-nominated song was good, but...)  But after the sustained insufferable cutesiness, which was excessive even by early-80's rom-com standards, I gave up after ten or fifteen minutes.  English issues aside, Pavarotti LOOKS like he should be a better actor than he is.

From what I saw, if they wanted to show a "cute" gag showing Pavarotti's hinder, at that point, it wouldn't surprise me.   ?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings