Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeBailey1951

Vera-Ellen - Should be the star of the month.

Here's why.

Vera-Ellen was probably the best female dancer who ever graced a Hollywood stage, yet most TCM viewers are barely familiar with her or her films.

Fred Astaire said of Vera-Ellen: "She can do anything - lush dances, tap, comedy. She's quite good at eccentric dancing, and a good comedienne." ("The Magic and the Mystery: Vera-Ellen" by David Soren.)

Most of her films are seldom if ever shown on TCM. EX: "Love Happy" (1949) - Happy Go Lovely" (1951) - "The Belle of New York) (1952) -"Call Me Madam" (1953) - "Three Little Gils In Blue" (1946) - "Carnival in Costa Rica" (1947) - "Wonder Man" (1945) - "The Kid From Brooklyn" (1946)

The Vera-Ellen film seen almost everywhere during the holidays is, of course, "White Christmas" (1954). There is a lot more to the legacy of Vera-Ellen, than one film. Vera-Ellen is an "essential" part of musical motion picture history.

I hope you agree.

Cheers!

Wouldn't that be great to have a whole day devoted to this incredible dancer? Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Vera-Ellen. She always came across as someone that I'd like to know in real life. Such a beautiful young woman who was taken away from us much too soon. And I don't think there are too few of her movies to fill in a whole day. First of all, there are several movies she made with Danny Kaye, plus a few movies she made at 20th Century Fox, plus all those wonderful MGM musicals. Robert Osborne, are you listening? There are a lot of us who are wishing for a special day for our favorite dancer.

Terrence.

I think she appeared in enough films to be the star of the month... maybe.... and that would be a great idea. She's not been spotlighted recently, and possibly never, that I recall. I love her best in "White Christmas," though, so maybe it should be in December!

I would love to see her given her due. She is my favorite screen dancer. She had such a troubled, sad life. Her excellence has never, ever been given the attention it deserves.

In 2009 people asked for Vera-Ellen to be Star of the Month, was she I do not remember seeing this happen, I am not sure. I do know that she was a wonderful underrated dancer, actress. She was hardly given a line or two to speak, yet in White Christmas her dancing and acting blew me away.To always be used as a prop must be sad. This is a good time for me to say or mention some trivia.... June Allyson and Judy Garland were both favorites of mine. June Allyson was also somewhat underrated.

But when I found out that both were first choices for Royal Wedding I had to sit down, how could either do the job Jane Powell did? Under-rated yes.... you will find a few dancers by that word in a

dictionary.

Back to Miss Vera Ellen, at the least we should celebrate her birth. I love all the old Musicals but

I have found that many were overused and many underused , much to the dismay of the FILM that was made. And so life goes on.....Ann Miller?

The great minds did not always get it right, any dancer who could really dance as well as all of the

ladies I have mentioned, add the word step for step and backwards with the likes of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire will never!! get the praise that is not only due them nor is it simply mentioned.

Ginger Rogers blood stained shoes........... Lets here it for these women of dance!!!