Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was twelve. There was a paperback biography lying around the house so I read it. There were a series of pictures in the book as well. I was fascinated by the ones from his older films, It was the first time I was introduced to Shearer (A Free Soul) and probably Jean Harlow (Red Dust). There were also early stills of Crawford (Possessed), Garbo (Susan Lennox) and Lombard (No Man of Her Own).

I can't recall the name of the book but it was a positive one. I of course, immediately wanted to be Clark Gable. I'm sure I saw him in *Gone With the Wind* before anything else. The first film I actually sought out was *Red Dust*.

The thing is, the book had quite a domino effect. It led me not only to Gable, but to Shearer, Harlow, even (gasp) Gary Cooper, and so many others, because they were all mentioned in the book. That dusty old paperback, along with Robert Osborne's first Oscar book, and my inability to sleep (which led to me stay up and watch the late movies), started me, at age twelve, down a road of exploration that I'm still traveling today.

I don't remember for sure. I might have been about 10 or so when I first watched Gone with the Wind, but it's very hard to remember for sure.

Still, there's so much more to CG than GWTW that I feel as if I'm discovering him again every time I watch any of his movies that I haven't seen before. ;)

I was about 12 when my Gran took me to see GWTW on the big screen. Loved the movie and fell in love with Gable at his first entrance. I was heartbroken to find out that he died before I was born. I think I spent much of my HS years trying to find a reasonable substitute. Never managed it--ended up married to a guy who's more like Jack Lemmon.

Hi all! I'm a new member. I'm 20, from New York, and a HUGE classic movie buff.

As for Clark Gable, I discovered him when I was around 14 or 15, seeing him in Gone With The Wind. But the movie that made me fall in love with him was It Happened One Night from 1934 with the exquisite Claudette Colbert. Whenever I watch that movie, I always have to yell, 'Tear the walls of Jericho down!'

*Clark Gable On TCM May 2009 - All Times are Eastern - Check Local Schedules.*

*Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 2:30 AM _It Happened One Night_ (1934)*

Gable_ithapponepm_poster.jpg

*The film was the first to win all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay), a feat that would not be matched until One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) and later by The Silence of the Lambs (1991).*

*Thu, May 28, @ 12:00 PM _Dancing Lady_ (1933)*

f50933.jpg

It's true. There's a hilarious story that just before shooting a kissing scene in Adventure, Gable took a swig of mouthwash (dentures reeked in those days) and when he spit it out into the water (they were on a dock) his dentures went into the drink! He dived in to retrieve them and everyone had a big laugh, including Gable.

I love, love, love Clark Gable!! GWTW was my first introduction to him as well. Then I saw It Happened One Night and I was pretty much hooked. TCM has been showing a lot of Gable films the last month or so. I enjoyed Too Hot To Handle (with Myrna Loy) and To Please A Lady (with Barbara Stanwyck).

I have Test Pilot recorded and The Hucksters. I'm really enjoying discovering all his work! I have to agree with Joan Crawford when she stated that he was one of most masculine men she ever knew :-)

> {quote:title=tiffany26 wrote:}{quote}

> I have Test Pilot recorded and The Hucksters. I'm really enjoying discovering all his work! I have to agree with Joan Crawford when she stated that he was one of most masculine men she ever knew :-)

I hope you'll continue to enjoy all the Clark Gable movies. He was one of a kind! Have you seen The Misfits already?

6a00e54edd10338833010536c95eba970b-800wi

*Clark Gable on TCM June 2009 - All Times Eastern Check Local Schedules!*

*Mon, Jun 15, 9:45 AM _Wife vs. Secretary_ (1936)*

*The film was the fifth of six collaborations between Gable and Harlow and the fourth of seven collaborations between Gable and Loy.*

*The film was also one of the first memorable roles for James Stewart, who played Harlow's boyfriend.*

*After being unavailable for over a decade, the film was released on DVD on June 20, 2006.*

Wvs1936.jpg

Jean Harlow was the first goddess I fell in love with at the tender age of 16! It was through her I discovered Clark Gable. In Red Dust and China Seas, he was the masterful dominate male figure who did exactly as he pleased until he met the right woman who changed his hard exterior to kindness and warmth. And, then I discovered GRETA GARBO! Holy schmoly! She was the greatest image I had ever seen on screen. When I finally figured out that Gable was one of the few chosen to act opposite her, I realized he truly deserved the title "The King!"

04a_badgirls1.jpg

RWP039.jpg

3239108967_524cc69684.jpg

Annex20-20Gable20Clark20China20Seas.jpg

ggsusan3.jpg

e19c_1.jpg

Hair1931.jpg

Hollywoodgolightly wrote:

Wife Vs. Secretary was a pretty fun movie. All 3 top stars are in top shape. Very well written, great screwball comedy. :D

Yep, it was pretty good. But Jean Harlow lost something, I think, when they made her wholesome. I missed the naughty Jean of Red Dust and Red-headed Woman.

*Clark Gable*

AKA William Clark Gable

Born: 1-Feb-1901

Birthplace: Cadiz, OH

Died: 16-Nov-1960

Location of death: Los Angeles, CA

Cause of death: Heart Failure

Remains: Buried, Great Mausoleum, Sanctuary of Trust, Forest Lawn Glendale, Glendale, CA

*_Clark Gable Trivia_*

Named the #7 greatest actor on The 50 Greatest Screen Legends List by the American Film Institute.

Was Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's inspiration for half of Superman's alter ego name Clark Kent ("Kent" came from Kent Taylor).

Joined the Army Air Corps during the Second World War, and was commissioned an officer with service number 565390. Rose to the rank of captain and served primarily in Public Affairs, making training films and performing public relations visits to soldiers and airmen in Europe.

Gave his Oscar for It Happened One Night (1934) to a child who admired it, telling him it was the winning of the statue that had mattered, not owning it. The child returned the Oscar to the Gable family after Clark's death.

1939: Part of Gable and Carole Lombard's honeymoon was spent at the Willows Inn in Palm Springs, CA. Today the Inn continues to operate and anyone can stay in the same room, which is largely unaltered since that time.

Clark Gable was voted the 8th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, USA, in the Great Mausoleum, Sanctuary of Trust, on the left hand side, next to Carole Lombard.

When MGM remade Red Dust (1932) in 1953 as Mogambo (1953), Ava Gardner played the Jean Harlow part, Grace Kelly had the Mary Astor role, and Gable played his old part. Only Gable could fill Gable's shoes, even 21 years later.

June 2004: As a native of Cadiz, OH, he was inducted into the Lou Holtz Museum/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame.

Contrary to popular belief, Gable did not perform his own stunts in The Misfits (1961). He was only used for the close ups while a stunt double stood in for him in the long shots. His heart attack was caused by his lifestyle - thirty years of heavy smoking and drinking, plus his increasing weight in later years. It is also believed his crash diet before filming began may have been a contributing factor.

1999: The American Film Institute named Gable among the Greatest Male Stars of All Time, ranking at #7.

He disliked his most famous film Gone with the Wind (1939), which he regarded as "a woman`s picture.".

Turned down Cary Grant`s role in The Philadelphia Story (1940) because he thought the film was too wordy.

1948: Proposed marriage to Nancy Davis.

He served as a pallbearer and usher at Jean Harlow`s funeral in 1937.

Adolf Hitler esteemed the film star above all other actors, and during the war offered a sizable reward to anyone who could capture and return Gable, who had enlisted in the Army Air Corps and was flying combat missions over Germany, unscathed to him

Although beyond draft age, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the Air Corps on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended Officers` Candidate School at Miami Beach and graduated as a second lieutenant. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943, on personal orders from Gen. Arnold, went to England to make a motion picture of aerial gunners in action. He was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook and although neither ordered nor expected to do so, flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s to obtain the combat film footage he believed was required for producing the movie entitled "Combat America." Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat.

Thanks,

IMBD Movie Database!

clark-gable.jpg