Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BIG PARADE (1925) Finally Back on TCM!

Goalieboy82,

With any luck, *THE BIG PARADE* will probably be shown again on Silent Sunday Nights in a few months. Although, it might not run again until they finally have the new restoration ready? Who can say how long that will be. I would hope not, and hopefully they keep running the Thames version in the interim. Should have been that way all along.

I have received a number of E-mails in the past two days from people that either missed the broadcast, or didn't see it all. Several people I know, who had been waiting for years to see the film on TCM or anywhere, completely forgot to tune in after a long weekend, and are kicking themselves. Send me a PM, if you will.

I am a little disappointed that it isn't being run for great directors month in June during the King Vidor night They are showing *THE CROWD* again, but that has aired much more frequently than *THE BIG PARADE.*

Meanwhile we have the premiere of The White Sister tomorrow, which is something people can look forward to, esp. those who haven't seen it.

The same fellow who did the score for Beau Brummel and did such a great job is doing this score so I hope it's every bit as lush and romantic for The White Sister.

Just remember, the film is over 2 hours, so adjust your DVD recorders appropriately. If you just choose SP mode the film will be cut off.

Jill,

NOOOOOO! James Schafer scored *BEAU BRUMMEL,* His latest score will actually be for Lon Chaney's *THE MOCKERY* in July. Schafer's first Runner Up for the 2007 Young Film Composers Competition, who's name escapes me at the moment, wrote the music for *THE WHITE SISTER.*

Ah here it is, the kids name is *Garth Neustadter.* I do recall watching the clips that were posted on-line from the top 5 guys in the contest, and liking the scoring of the sequence that was posted better by the Runner-up, and maybe somebody else in the top 5 better than I did the Winning effort.

Here is a link from late last year:

http://blogs.lawrence.edu/news/2008/12/lawrence_universitys_neustadte_1.html

...wonder why BEAU BRUMMEL with Schafer's score isn't included in the new John Barrymore set?

Finally, just one more sleep before WHITE SISTER which Gish remembers in her autobiography The Movies, Mr.Griffith and Me "when we arrived in Rome, we found a bare studio with only two klieg lights, the only ones in Italy. At once, a man was put on a night train to Germany to buy and ship us enough equipment for the production." Lillian's memoirs are a good summer read esp. after seeing more of her films here on TCM.

> {quote:title=MissGulch wrote:}{quote}

> ...wonder why BEAU BRUMMEL with Schafer's score isn't included in the new John Barrymore set?

>

Because two different companies are involved. Warner Home Video owns the rightrs to BEAU BRUMMEL, and The John Barrymore Collection is being released by Kino.

Dan, Kate,

*BEAU BRUMMEL (1924)* will likely pop up from Warner Archive pretty soon. As should both *DON JUAN (1926)* and probably *WHEN A MAN LOVES (1927).* The title missing is *THE SEA BEAST (1926)* which Warner's needs to have scored. Would love to see a nice quality print of that picture.

There is a trailer on the Warner Archive *THE TRAIL OF '98* release. And it shows a clip from *DON JUAN* as though it were already available. So I suspect that it should be released shortly.

I am still waiting for more comments on *THE BIG PARADE.* It doesn't help that the message boards have not been working half the time.

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

> I thought I saw James pop in here and talk about writing a score for The White Sister. Maybe my memory is faulty.

He did, but he was talking about his new score for MOCKERY, the Lon Chaney picture that debuts in July.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again. Same, old, Same old. No THE BIG PARADE on DVD this year! Maybe next Fall, or by Christmas 2010 is the latest word. With respect, that's just to long people. Is that really the best that Warner's can do??? I sincerely doubt it! It could be out this year if the effort were actually being made. I have been waiting since 2002! Two years prior to the 2004 restoration being completed. No one expected to have to wait an additional 5 or 6 years after the fact.

Nothing should take precedence over THE BIG PARADE. Absolutely nothing! I don't really care when it was made or who the heck made it! THE BIG PARADE is as good or better than anything else that is not yet on DVD, and better than 90% of what is on DVD! It should take top priority over anything and everything. For gods sake, can't we Please try a little harder to get the restoration, at least ready to be shown on TCM allot sooner than November of next year???? I'll climb any mountain, turn over any stone, start a petition drive, send blood in order to get it done!

• 10 months later...

I'm pushing this thread from last year up again since some version of *THE BIG PARADE* is airing on this weeks Silent Sunday Nights.

Wanted to be sure to mention this movie is now listed on the recently re-vamped Photoplay Productions Website with a 12 Minute longer running time than it was before? If taken literally, that's right at an extra reel. Although, TCM hasn't changed it's own listing. I'm wondering about if it's possible that we could see a new transfer with the additional restored footage on Sunday after-all? I still doubt it, as I don't think the time they had listed was correct to start with. But it is an interesting development just the same. Gives me just a slim glimmer of hope.

While TCM did run the Thames Silents version last Memorial Day, they have not run *THE BIG PARADE* on Silent Sunday's since May of 2004. That's a full 6 years. If you missed it a year ago on late Monday night, early Tuesday morning, hear is your chance to catch this unforgettable picture at last.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> silentvamp,

>

> I have never needed to push *THE BIG PARADE* on anybody. Once they saw it, they all agreed just how great the movie is, and what a puzzler that it has never had an official DVD release so far.

>

> I hope that it will not be that long until we finally see the new Fine-Grain 35 Millimeter master restored in 2004 from the original camera negative on TCM. If not on DVD. I have been told repeatedly that it was in the works, but nothing has come of it since the film was touring for it's 80th Anniversary back in 2005. All the original tints have been re-instated, and the new version uncovered allot of previously missing footage as well. 149 minutes compared to 126 for the previous version.

>

> In the meantime, TCM is airing the Thames Silents edition of *THE BIG PARADE* again, which was produced clear back in 1983, but still looks pretty good. Better than the dismal print of *WINGS* they were stuck with from Paramount last year certainly. And this will be the first time many people have seen any version. I fully expect a Prime-time premier of the newly restored version once it is ready in broadcast format.

>

>

> title_graphicTheBigParade-80th.jpg

>

> *AMPAS Ad from March 2005. Robert Israel and His Orchestra reprised the entire original 1925 William Axt-David Mendoza score live! Oh to have been there for this event! I know a couple folks who actually were!*

It's going to be the Thames Silents version again, an extra 12 minutes would run it overtime on Truffaut's Adele H. at 2:15 ET and any changes would probably be reflected in the cable/sat box programming guide by now.

But maybe TCM was trying to acquire the restoration. The listing for both Les Miserables the next morning originally hacked an hour off of one version of the movie so perhaps it was a place holder for any potential change. But now the schedule is firmly in place.

If nothing else, Photoplay Productions might have provided a new NTSC broadcast master to TCM of *THE BIG PARADE* just as they had done with their versions of *ORPHANS OF THE STORM* and *THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA* back in late 2008. The rather dubious sounding 126 Minute list time TCM has posted though can't be correct, because *THE BIG PARADE* is well over Two Hours long in the Thames Silents version, not just Six minutes more, The brand new list time from Photoplay is now 138 Minutes, but the 2004 Warner Brothers/George Eastman House restoration was supposed to be 149 Minutes. So all very confusing. I still don't expect to see anything new. But maybe by November with any luck we will? All we can do is hope.

I wish that Warner Home Video would put out a *"Greatest Classic Films Collection "The Silents" DVD set* Maybe the first volume consisting of *THE BIG PARADE, OLD HEIDELBERG, TELL IT TO THE MARINES,* and *SHOW PEOPLE.* How is that for a thought?

http://www.photoplay.co.uk/film_pages/bigp.html

> The brand new list time from Photoplay is now 138 Minutes, but the 2004 Warner Brothers/George Eastman House restoration was supposed to be 149 Minutes. So all very confusing. I still don't expect to see anything new.

Could any difference in running times be explained by the film being transferred at the incorrect speed?

Holly,

Well, the 138 Minutes sounds about right for the 1983 Thames Silents version. The 1931 Sound-re-issue at 24 Frames per second, might have been a 126 minutes? Don't know. I haven't seen it. Only that clip on the MGM Parade.However, the sound re-issue was cut a little from the original release.

gagman:

In honor of "The Big Parade" coming on TCM tomorrow (and we're hoping it's the print you've been waiting for!) I thought I'd post some info about the1931 sound reissue, as it has also been mentioned here recently.

For that "sound" reissue MGM had a whole new music score recorded. If we ever get to see that version, here's a listing in order of all the music cues used:

1. The Big Parade March (William Axt)

2. Mighty America, From Yankiana Suite (Thurban)

3. Slim Theme (William Axt)

4. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

5. Sultan of Swat (Walter Donaldson)

6. Original Music (William Axt)

7. Original Music (William Axt)

8. Dear Little Boy of Mine (Ball)

9. School Days (Gus Edwards)

10. Over There (George M. Cohan)

11. Pack Up Your Troubles (Powell)

12. Over There (George M. Cohan)

13. Dear Little Boy of Mine (Ball)

14. American Festival Overture (Kretschmer)

15. Keep the Home Fires Burning (Novello)

16. School Days (Gus Edwards)

17. Tommy Lad (Margetson)

18. Trumpet Call

19. Where Do We Go From Here (Percy Wenrich)

20. You're in the Army Now

21. Where Do We Go From Here (Percy Wenrich)

22. You're in the Army Now

23. Madelon (Robert)

24. Pack Up Your Troubles (Powell)

25. Original Music (William Axt)

26. I Ain't Got Weary Yet (Percy Wenrich)

27. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

28. You're in the Army Now

29. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

30. You're in the Army Now

31. K-K-K-Katy (O'Hara)

32. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

33. Slim Theme (William Axt)

34. Mirth and Merriment (Delille)

35. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

36. Over There (George M. Cohan)

37. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

38. School Days (Gus Edwards)

39. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

40. Slim Theme (William Axt)

41. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

42. March and Sweat (William Axt)

43. You're in the Army Now

44. Sultan of Swat (Walter Donaldson)

45. Comrades (McGlennon)

46. When Yankee Doodle Learns to Parlez Vous (Nelson)

47. Original Music (William Axt)

48. Playful Theme (William Axt)

49. K-K-K-Katy (O'Hara)

50. Playful Theme (William Axt)

51. You're in the Army Now

52. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

53. This is the Life (Irving Berlin)

54. Slim Theme (William Axt)

55. Original Music (William Axt)

56. Playful Theme (William Axt)

57. When Yankee Doodle Learns to Parlez Vous (Nelson)

58. Mademoiselle from Armentieres

59. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

60. When Yankee Doodle Learns to Parlez Vous (Nelson)

61. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

62. Slim Theme (William Axt)

63. Trumpet Calls

64. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

65. Playful Theme (William Axt)

66. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

67. Over There (George M. Cohan)

68. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

69. Playful Theme (William Axt)

70. When Yankee Doodle Learns to Parlez Vous (Nelson)

71. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

72. Playful Theme (William Axt)

73. Original Music (William Axt)

74. Stand Up and Fight (Cohan)

75. Playful Theme (William Axt)

76. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

77. Playful Theme (William Axt)

78. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

79. Aw, Sammy (O'Hara)

80. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

81. If He Can Fight Like He Can Love (Meyer)

82. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

83. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

84. Au Clair de la Lune

85. Cadet Rouselle

86. Original Music (William Axt)

87. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

88. Characteristic Theme (Roberts)

89. Au Clair de la Lune

90. A Game of Tag (Trinkaus)

91. Playful Theme (William Axt)

92. Original Music (William Axt)

93. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

94. Original Music (William Axt)

95. Agitato #5 (William Axt)

96. Original Music (William Axt)

97. Characteristic Theme (Roberts)

98. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

99. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

100. Agitato #5 (William Axt)

101. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

102. Original Music (William Axt)

103. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

104. Slim Theme (William Axt)

105. Playful Theme (William Axt)

106. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

107. Eat Your Chow (William Axt)

108. Good Morning Mr. Zip-Zip-Zip (Lloyd)

109. Original Music (William Axt)

110. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

111. When Yankee Doodle Learns to Parlez Vous (Nelson)

112. If He Can Fight Like He Can Love (Meyer)

113. Pack Up Your Troubles (Powell)

114. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

115. Slim Theme (William Axt)

116. School Days (Gus Edwards)

117. Playful Theme (William Axt)

118. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

119. Trumpet Calls

120. Slim Theme (William Axt)

121. Original Music (William Axt)

122. Yankee Doodle

123. Original Music (William Axt)

124. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

125. Original Music (William Axt)

126. It's a Long Way to Berlin (Flatow)

127. Over There (George M. Cohan)

128. It's a Long Way to Berlin (Flatow)

129. Over There (George M. Cohan)

130. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

131. The Big Parade March (William Axt)

132. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

133. The Big Parade March (William Axt)

134. Aeroplane March (Braham)

135. Trumpet Calls

136. Pack Up Your Troubles (Powell)

137. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

138. Slim Theme (William Axt)

139. Original Music (William Axt)

140. Yankee Doodle

141. The Big Parade March (William Axt)

142. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

143. Original Music (William Axt)

144. Trumpet Calls

145. The Battle of Ypres (Borch)

146. Slim Theme (William Axt)

147. Original Music (William Axt)

148. Battle Agitato (Minot)

149. O'Hara Theme (William Axt)

150. Slim Theme (William Axt)

151. The Big Parade March (William Axt)

152. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

153. The Watch on the Rhine (Wilhelm)

154. Keep Your Head Down Fritzie Boy (Gitz Rice)

155. The Yankee Doodle Boy (George M. Cohan)

156. Trumpet Calls

157. Slim Theme (William Axt)

158. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

159. Original Music (William Axt)

160. Trumpet Calls

161. Comrades (McGlennon)

162. Original Music (William Axt)

163. Slim Theme (William Axt)

164. Original Music (William Axt)

165. Slim Theme (William Axt)

166. The Watch on the Rhine (Wilhelm)

167. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

168. Battle-Tumult-Blaze (Becce)

169. Original Music (William Axt)

170. Battle-Tumult-Blaze (Becce)

171. Killarney (Balfe)

172. Battle-Tumult-Blaze (Becce)

173. Original Music (William Axt)

174. Battle Hymn of the Republic

175. Original Music (William Axt)

176. My Buddy (Walter Donaldson)

177. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

178. Original Music (William Axt)

179. Patrie (Bizet)

180. Original Music (William Axt)

181. Patrie (Bizet)

182. Battle-Tumult-Blaze (Becce)

183. Onward Christian Soldiers (Sullivan)

184. Original Music (William Axt)

185. When Johnny Comes Marching Home (Lambert)

186. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

187. School Days (Gus Edwards)

188. Original Music (William Axt)

189. Dear Little Boy of Mine (Ball)

190. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

191. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

192. Original Music (William Axt)

193. Marseillaise (Rouget de Lisle)

194. Original Music (William Axt)

195. Douce Fievre (Y'Ener)

musicalnovelty,

This is very interesting. I've never seen a complete list of melodies used for the score before. But once again, this was essentially a variation of the same Axt-Mendoza score that had accompanied the original Road Show Edition 1925 New York Premier live, and subsequently and ran for nearly two years. The major difference being that some scenes were cut, and the number of instruments were scaled down to probably 30 studio musicians for the recording. Along with the added sound effects. So excessive in that one clip that I have seen, that they are rather an unwelcome intrusion.

The haunting romance theme *"La Douce Fievre"* which translates to *"The Sweet Fever"* has always been identified with the *THE BIG PARADE.* It was used in 1925, 1931, and the 1983 Thames version by Carl Davis. More recently, Robert Israel and his orchestra, and Israel on Wurlitzer as well have used the theme in their renditions of the Axt-Mendoza score live.

I was under the impression for a long time that Carl Davis had used many of the same themes. But based on this list, it certainly appears that He really only recycled no more than about four of them at best. That I find extremely surprising. Must confess that I am used to the Melisande theme that Davis wrote for Renee Adoree's character. While I would relish hearing the Axt score, I don't really want to give up the Carl Davis one either. While both are largely compiled scores, there were allot of original compositions mixed into them as well. I'm partial to the Davis score, but honestly can't judge not having heard the Axt-Mendoza one.

With any luck allot more people will get to see *THE BIG PARADE* run tonight than on last Memorial Day. I hope to read plenty of comments from first time viewers here. And see them vote on the TCM Movie Data Base for a DVD release.

> musicalnovelty,

>

> This is very interesting. I've never seen a complete list of melodies used for the score before. But once again, this was essentially a variation of the same Axt-Mendoza score that had accompanied the original Road Show Edition 1925 New York Premier live, and subsequently and ran for nearly two years. The major difference being that some scenes were cut, and the number of instruments were scaled down to probably 30 studio musicians for the recording. Along with the added sound effects. So excessive in that one clip that I have seen, that they are rather an unwelcome intrusion.

>

gagman:

I'm glad you found that info interesting. That was a lot of typing! But knowing what a fan you are of that movie I wanted to share it.

Does anyone know if there are prints of that version (1931 reissue with music score) around? I'd sure like to hear some of those tunes used in the score.

musicalnovelty,

Well, looking at the list again, maybe around 5 or 6 themes were used by Carl Davis. For whatever reason, David Mendoza is not specifically credited, but He actually co-composed allot of the original music with Dr, William Axt.

TCM is still working on getting the new restoration. They hope to have it before to long. I know that Chuck Tabesh has been anxious to be able to broadcast the new master. Additionally, there are some other exciting projects coming up as well.

PHOTO_9398979_66470_8093159_main.jpg

*'Trapped In The Trenches"*

> musicalnovelty,

>

> Well, looking at the list again, maybe around 5 or 6 themes were used by Carl Davis. For whatever reason, David Mendoza is not specifically credited, but He actually co-composed allot of the original music with Dr, William Axt.

>

> TCM is working on still working on getting the new restoration. They hope to have it before to long. I know that Chuck Tabesh has been anxious to be able to broadcast the new mater. Additionally, there are some other exciting projects coming up as well.

>

TCM showed the "MGM Parade" episode again this morning that includes the clip from "The Big Parade" that appears to be from the 1931 sound reissue. Listening closely I was able to match up the scene with the listing of music cues I posted and the scene seems cover selections 125 through about 134.

Whoops, sorry for all the spelling errors, and repeated words. Was late and I couldn't sleep. So I got up and finished MOHICANS.

I managed to record the MGM Parade segment a few weeks ago. I'm sure that it is from the 1931 re-issue. Jorge saw this back in about 1978 or so in Argentina. It appears that it was also played on Public Television many years ago. Long before the Thames version was produced. That was in 1983. I'm not sure when it first ran in America? Maybe 1985 or 86?

There is a review of TCM Movie Data Base where the guy claims to have seen THE BIG PARADE on Public TV some 40 years ago. Had to be the sound re-issue. And it might not have been quite that long ago? Anyway, it's my understanding that both the 1925 and 1931 versions were restored between 2002 and 2004. So they must have re-mastered the recording of the Axt-Mendoza score. That's obvious being as it is included on the 35 MM rental prints. They are not without a recorded track.

>

> There is a review of TCM Movie Data Base where the guy claims to have seen THE BIG PARADE on Public TV some 40 years ago. Had to be the sound re-issue. And it might not have been quite that long ago?

>

Yes, THE BIG PARADE was shown on Public TV in the 1970's.

It was syndicated by Gold Key Entertainment in a package called "Silent Classics Package" in January 1972. There were 13 MGM silent features in the package. All had music scores and sound effects added, but I don't recall any of the scores being particularly interesting or memorable. The prints of the few that originally had disc scores (Our Dancing Daughters, West of Zanzibar, A Woman of Affairs) did not have those scores restored yet.

The movies were presented in a two-hour time slot, so THE BIG PARADE had to be edited for time.

In the Boston area they were shown on local PBS channels 2 and 44 (and I also was able to see some of them on Providence, R.I. channel 36) in 1973 and 1974 under the series title "Films of the Gatsby Era".

These are the 13 titles in the package:

The Big Parade

The Crowd

Flesh and the Devil

He Who Gets Slapped

Love

The Monster

The Mysterious Lady

Our Dancing Daughters

The Scarlet Letter

The Temptress

The Unholy Three

West of Zanzibar

A Woman of Affairs

musicalnovelty,

Interesting. Some of these versions TCM still runs. HE WHO GET'S SLAPPED, THE UNHOLY THREE, THE MONSTER. And I have an old VHS of THE MYSTERIOUS LADY. I was told the score that this score was better than the Vivek Maddlla one, but I didn't like it at all. I still hope to here the Carl Davis music for THE MYSTERIOUS LADY sometime. TCM of course has no rights to the Photoplay Productions version.