Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Odd question but I'll give it a try

Hello

I was wondering and forgive me if the answer is quite simple. How are the TCM films sent to the cable companies? are they digitalized, sent to a satellite and then the cable company relays it to it's customers? Just how does this work? For example... This moring I caught "Friends And Lovers" with Olivier and being from 1931 I got to thinking "is this digital"? is it stored digitally in the archives for transmission? I'm so perplexed and any info would be nice.

The network places a broadcast-quality tape transfer of a film in its playback machines (it could be either digital or analog; whether TCM uses one or the other exclusively, I don't know). It's sent to a satellite uplink which beams it to a communications satellite in geosynchronous orbit 35,960 kilometers above the equator, whose transponder then beams down the signal to cable operators and satellite providers throughout the Western Hemisphere (the satellite providers, such as DirecTV then embed the signal in their own programming and send the signal back up to their own satellite, that then sends it back down to the individual subscribers' dishes).

For the rest of the world, TCM's various internation feeds are bounced from the initial Westeen Hemisphere satellite to other geostationary satellites around the world, until the signal is over the decired reception points, where it's received by foreign cable/satellite operators' downlinks.

Clear?

*The network places a broadcast-quality tape transfer of a film in its playback machines (it could be either digital or analog; whether TCM uses one or the other exclusively, I don't know).*

It's digital. According to TCMProgrammr, TCM migrated to a digital a few years back.