Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Searching for title of a film involving a human head in a bag

GigiZ

I have seen this film at least twice, but nothing I google brings up anything close to what I remember!  It's driving me crazy anyway, and now it turns out I really need to find it!   So I'm coming here to ask fellow old-film fans to see if anyone else remembers it. 

Added to the complications is that I might be conflating two different films that had a similar look and feel -- or not -- in my memories!  It's definitely a black and white film, and it might be British, or it could be American-made but take place in England, or I could even be wrong about that, and it could take place in the States but have a bit of a British look to the house and surroundings.   I'm also not sure whether the house in question is a boarding/rooming house.   The plot concerns a man who is living or staying in this house, and among his possessions is a bag, leather, I think, that has a roundish shape, and he seems very protective of it.   Won't let anyone carry it for him, overreacts when someone wants to move it, etc.   It is either after this, or it might already have taken place, that some of the other occupants have learned that a body has been found nearby, and that the body is headless.   So naturally, the occupants individually begin to suspect that there is a human head in the bag of this man.

I don't remember how it plays out.   I can't even say whether it's played to frighten or for laughs!  But this film exists!   And I need to find its name and a copy of it, if possible.   Does anyone remember ever having seen this film?   I'm very sure that I saw it on TCM! 

Thank you for reading this far, and for your interest! 

Gigi

THAT'S IT!   THAT'S  IT!   THAT'S  IT!!!!!! 

I'm totally and completely overwhelmed, grateful, astounded and amazed by the speed with which you found this film that I've been trying to find for at least a year, and skipping for joy!

Thank you, thank you!   I feel I owe you something and should return the favour! 

slaytonf, you are my hero! 

I still can't believe it...   and with my incoherent, uncertain descriptions...  it's just stunning! 

Forever grateful, 

Gigi

I'm Slayton's agent and Slayton accepts money orders!

Just kidding and I'm sure Slayton did not have to do any research but just knew the answer by tapping the extensive Slayton Film Memory Box. Isn't it wonderful to have human film computer brains here at one's disposal, Gigi?

I'm glad you're so happy.  But there aren't too many movies with people carrying human heads around.  Bytheway, check the movie out if you can, it's one of Mr. Montgomery's best performances.  Totally out of his breezy, boozy, society sophisticate type.  A real conniving baddie.

I have seen it!   Twice before!   As soon as I was reading the expanded plot, I remembered the entire film.   Dame May Witty, usually such an endearing soul, here, unendurable!   You almost cheer when she meets her end!  Each time I saw the film I just went on the ride, enjoying it, but not thinking beyond the narrative.   I thought at the time that Robert Montgomery was absolutely perfect in it!   There was always something undefinably different about him, regardless of what he played.   There was an undertone not written into the character -- you could always see, or imagine, that there was more to this, guy than the story called for!   So in this film, he got to play out all those undertones, and it -- is -- SCARY!  Perfect casting.  Everyone in it is not what they usually portray -- so it keeps you on edge. 

The reason I needed to find this film is that I recently purchased a beautifully hand-crafted wooden box at an estate sale -- it is the perfect size for a human head!   No, I'm not planning to decapitate anyone!   But this film immediately came to mind, except the plot details escaped me.  Also couldn't remember the cast!   But the box was telling me what it wanted to be!   I thought about a humorous skit, where everyone thinks the head of some murdered person could be, but in my version, it would end up totally innocuous,  but funny (I hope!).   I have a monthly party at my home -- a former R. C. church I renovated -- a space just wanting to be used for performance.   We have live music and an open mike.   There's a poet who comes to read her poetry and prose!   Lots of singers.  We've done skits in the past (one is about a guy running into a church asking to see the priest right away, but the priest is in confession.  So he jumps into the confessional, asking nervously to speak to him.   The priest interrupts with questions, and then offers the poor soul a variety of products and services, from fruit of the month club, to dry cleaning services -- all in an effort to raise money for the church.   Turns out that the guy is Jewish, and only wants to tell the priest that his church is on fire!),  so this might be a fit.   If I can achieve humorous, and have it be brief.  The finding of the perfect box was the Genesis of it all.  But it was the film that gave the box that significance! 

Thank you, and if you give me your address, I'll send the money order!!!   ?????

? It took you eight minutes to come up with information  that has eluded me for years!  I think college is either long behind you, or you didn't need it anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes!   If there wasn't always so much to do, I'd have a lot more time for creative endeavours!  So we shall see how quickly, if at all, this skit project progresses.   But I've got the box, and now I've got the film to go with it!   Wish I had Robert Montgomery, but I have another Robert who might fill and fit the bill!  I'd like to be Roz Russell, but maybe it's time to step into Dame Witty's shoes... 

Wanna be in a skit, Slaytonf?  ?

5 hours ago, GigiZ said:

? It took you eight minutes to come up with information  that has eluded me for years!  I think college is either long behind you, or you didn't need it anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes!   If there wasn't always so much to do, I'd have a lot more time for creative endeavours!  So we shall see how quickly, if at all, this skit project progresses.   But I've got the box, and now I've got the film to go with it!   Wish I had Robert Montgomery, but I have another Robert who might fill and fit the bill!  I'd like to be Roz Russell, but maybe it's time to step into Dame Witty's shoes... 

Wanna be in a skit, Slaytonf?  ?

Um. . . . I'll get back to you. . . .

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings