Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Aretha Franklin (1942-2018)

I hope I'm not jumping the gun. Being reported on several news sites, but her imdb page hasn't been updated yet. One of the true greats. You will be missed, Lady Soul.

Aretha Franklin

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 4

I knew about Aretha being gravely ill from the Huffington Post about two days ago.  It is such a loss.  Besides, singing her heart out she was quite a humanitarian..

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aretha-franklin-dead-queen-of-soul_us_57489412e4b03ede4414cc5d

Here is one of my favorite songs of hers from early in her career.

• Thanks 1

What a SAD DAY. I'm glad her suffering is at an end, but I'm super bummed. I know the concept of a heavenly choir is a cliche, but if there is one, I'm certain she's leading it...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hope I'm not jumping the gun. Being reported on several news sites, but her imdb page hasn't been updated yet. One of the true greats. You will be missed, Lady Soul.

Aretha Franklin

Aretha could take any established song and make it her own!

My Aretha iTunes collection is embarrassingly light. I have only four songs of hers: Rockabye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody (from her very early days at Columbia Records, who never knew what to do with her), Respect, A Natural Woman and I Never Loved a Man. She's one of those artists I've always meant to get more songs by but have kept on the back burner. It's a shame it took this to snap me into action, but I will be definitely buying some more Aretha songs in the next few days.

Atlantic has a good 2 CD compilation of her hits and there's one from her Arista days as well (I have both). There's a compilation coming out next month of most of her Atlantic albums (minus the last 5 she owned the rights to) that I plan to buy as well........Am sure stuff will be coming out from the vaults soon enough. Always does when a singer passes away. :( I hadnt heard of the collaboration with the London Philharmonic to some of her hits that came out last year. That sounds interesting as well........

Whoops. The Atlantic album set has been out for a few yrs. It's the Singles set that's coming out next month........

Here's Lady Soul's appearance at the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors to salute Carole King, who co-wrote "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman." King's reactions are priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Aretha Franklin was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She was among the honorees in the second year of the ceremonies. She did not attend, but here's her induction, featuring Keith Richards, Clive Davis, and Franklin's brother Cecil.

I hadnt realized this until someone pointed it out, but Elvis and Aretha died on the same day........

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

My Aretha iTunes collection is embarrassingly light. I have only four songs of hers: Rockabye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody (from her very early days at Columbia Records, who never knew what to do with her), Respect, A Natural Woman and I Never Loved a Man. She's one of those artists I've always meant to get more songs by but have kept on the back burner. It's a shame it took this to snap me into action, but I will be definitely buying some more Aretha songs in the next few days.

You made me curious about this, so I checked to see what songs of hers I had in my digital song collection: "Respect", "Baby, I Love You", "Natural Woman", "Chain of Fools", "I Say a Little Prayer", and "Think".

In the words of our esteemed colleague DownGoesFrazier, they're low-hanging fruit, but I like them.

21 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Here's Lady Soul's appearance at the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors to salute Carole King, who wrote "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman." King's reactions are priceless.

That was a real treat to see again, thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Queen of Soul appeared in "The Blues Brothers" -- the 1980 comedy directed by John Landis -- as the wife of musician Matt "Guitar" Murphy. She performed "Think" in a Chicago diner scene after "Joliet Jake" and Elwood (played by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, respectively) -- determined to put their band back together -- showed up to persuade Murphy and saxophone player "Blue Lou" Marini to join their effort. 

She reprised her role as Murphy's wife in the 1998 sequel "Blues Brothers 2000," which featured John Goodman as a replacement for the late Belushi. Murphy died on June 15, 2018 at the age of 88.

• Thanks 1

The Queen of Soul navigated nicely through the early MTV years with a couple of popular efforts. In 1985, "Freeway of Love," which featured saxophonist Clarence "The Big Man" Clemons, zoomed to No. 3 on Billboard's pop chart and was No. 1 on the R&B chart for five weeks. The song also earned her one of her 18 Grammy Awards (this one was for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance).

The only women with more Grammys are country artist Alison Krauss (with 27) and Beyoncé (with 22). 

• Like 1

Two years later, she teamed with the British superstar George Michael for "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)." The duet climbed to No. 1 on the Billboard pop chart and in the United Kingdom. It went on to win the 1987-1988 Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.

• Like 1

How about one she co-wrote:

• Like 1

Her version of I Say A Little Prayer is one of my favorites.

On  the Oscar show for the 1968 releases, she belted out the title song from "Funny Girl". When she was finished, Frank Sinatra said "She really tore it up, didn't she?"

Yes, I remember that. She was wearing some weird mobile-like headdress if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Aretha Franklin was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She was among the honorees in the second year of the ceremonies. She did not attend, but here's her induction, featuring Keith Richards, Clive Davis, and Franklin's brother Cecil.

I didn't know she'd been unable to attend. While they've been showing the induction ceremonies, or at least an edited version of them, on HBO for a number of years now, the ceremonies from the first 10 or 12 years of the Hall's history - sadly, when all the original titans of the field were getting inducted! - were not televised. All we have are a few YouTube clips here and there, like this one.

Singing Nessun Dorma at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015.

RIP one of the all-time greats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

Singing Nessun Dorma at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015.

RIP one of the all-time greats.

People are still talking about how she performed "Nessun Dorma" -- the aria from Puccini's opera "Turandot" -- on short notice at the 40th annual Grammy Awards held on February 25, 1998. She was a last-minute replacement for the great Luciano Pavarotti, who bowed out because of illness.

Ken Ehrlich, who was the longtime executive producer of the Grammy telecasts on CBS, later credited her with saving the show.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-ken-ehrlich-grammy-producer-1202907543/

Image result for aretha franklin nessun dorma grammys

• Like 3