Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the most silly little movie myths

Susan Hopkins

I'll start off with one that's always bugged me as a Poltergeist fan:

Carol Anne wears blue pajamas and not a nightgown in the original movie. I guess your casual viewer sees the satin ribbon at the neck of the PJs and thinks "nightgown" as PJs are often unisex and a boy's night attire wouldn't be trimmed with a delicate satin ribbon.

1 hour ago, Susan Hopkins said:

I'll start off with one that's always bugged me as a Poltergeist fan:

Carol Anne wears blue pajamas and not a nightgown in the original movie. I guess your casual viewer sees the satin ribbon at the neck of the PJs and thinks "nightgown" as PJs are often unisex and a boy's night attire wouldn't be trimmed with a delicate satin ribbon.

I'm assuming you mean that the myth is Carol Anne is wearing a nightgown, due to the satin ribbon but she is really wearing blue pajamas?

If I'm right should I say I hate the silly myth that there is a dead man hanging in the trees in "The Wizard of Oz"?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I'm assuming you mean that the myth is Carol Anne is wearing a nightgown, due to the satin ribbon but she is really wearing blue pajamas?

If I'm right should I say I hate the silly myth that there is a dead man hanging in the trees in "The Wizard of Oz"?

If that's the case with Poltergeist, I can't say that I've heard it discussed before, or noticed it any of the dozen times that I've seen the movie.

Then again, I'd never heard that about the hanging man in The Wizard of Oz until the last year, either, all though I make no claims to being an expert on the minutia of that movie.

As far as silly movie myths, my favorite would probably be the goofy brouhaha over the "ghost" in Three Men and a Baby.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, the ghost boy is just one more movie myth that is fun to discuss. I'd heard about the hanging man theory for years, but never really checked it out. I will admit, that it does kind of look like a body swinging from a tree. Can you imagine if it were true. A real Agatha Christie page turner for sure.

It's not a myth, but it is fun to play the Pink Floyd stuff while watching "The Wizard of Oz" as it does rather align well.

I like movie myths which is why I made a post about them awhile back called Movie Mythinformation, I think.

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Then again, I'd never heard that about the hanging man in The Wizard of Oz until the last year, either, all though I make no claims to being an expert on the minutia of that movie.

I'm not sure whether I want to dig up the YouTube conspiracy theorist who complained that now that we have Oz on pristine 4K restored Blu-ray, we can now SEE, in crystal clarity, that the "hanging" Munchkin was actually the same African crowned crane who was strutting about and flapping its wings near the house during the Tin Man's song:

wizardofoz-movie-screencaps.com-5498.jpg

It would be disappointing to say that technology had permanently robbed us of a favorite old urban-chestnut, so, never say die, the theorist was trying to float the theory that Warner had altered the scene with CGI for the Blu-ray, to try and bury the suicide evidence once and for all! 

(And what were his compelling arguments?:  A) "They can do that now!",  and B ) "The old shot was totally different!--It always looked like one on my fuzzy old VHS, years before!") :D

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Wait here, Lawrence. You never heard this story until recently, you say?!

Well, as I heard it years ago, the whole "hanging man" in that Oz flick thing was from a scene in that movie that every other part of it was cut in the final version, but they missed cutting that one little bit out.

You see, there was whole scene shot that included a little dance number to Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit", but it was ultimately decided that it wouldn't be in keeping with the overall more lighthearted and fanciful theme Victor Fleming was going for, and although there was some talk that this might have played fairly well in the Jim Crow South of the time.

(...well, at least that's the way I heard it, anyway)

;)

@CaveGirl @LawrenceAYeah, Some people - including TV Tropes before it was finally corrected - seem to think Carol Anne is wearing a nightgown cause the satin ribbon at the neck marks her pajamas as feminine and a lot of people are used to PJs that don't indicate the sex of the person wearing them. Sometimes people's stupid assumptions get to me. I'm sorry.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As far as silly movie myths, my favorite would probably be the goofy brouhaha over the "ghost" in Three Men and a Baby.hqdefault.jpg

I was gonna bring that one up too.  It's really about that "doll" that's standing up behind a sheer curtain in a couple of scenes that got the thing started about it being the "ghost" of a child that supposedly died in the apartment used for the flick.

But in actuality, the "apartment" was really a studio "set" and never an actual residence, and the "ghost" WAS just a large doll used as a prop.  At least, according to TED DANSON in an interview when asked about the "legend".

Sepiatone

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Wait here, Lawrence. You never heard this story until recently, you say?!

Well, as I heard it years ago, the whole "hanging man" in that Oz flick thing was from a scene in that movie that every other part of it was cut in the final version, but they missed cutting that one little bit out.

You see, there was whole scene shot that included a little dance number to Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit", but it was ultimately decided that it wouldn't be in keeping with the overall more lighthearted and fanciful theme Victor Fleming was going for, and although there was some talk that this might have played fairly well in the Jim Crow South of the time.

(...well, at least that's the way I heard it, anyway)

;)

Dang, Dargo! That's some strange fruit alright that you have entered into the fray, and I'm surprised you were not able to mention the Merv Griffin connection or any banana analogies. 

If you have never heard the Ricky Nelson version of "Gloomy Sunday" now is the time to search for it on Youtube or the beyond. And yes, of course you are welcome!

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, LawrenceA said:

As far as silly movie myths, my favorite would probably be the goofy brouhaha over the "ghost" in Three Men and a Baby.

hqdefault.jpg

On the old IMBD boards, the one for THREE MEN AND A BABY, that's all the posters wanted to talk about, the 'ghost', not the movie, script, director, any of the actors. It was 'the ghost' who got the most interest.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings