Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Very Special People

CaveGirl

Yes, I owe it to Dargo for my coming up with this post. Not that he would have been a candidate to be in the famous Tod Browning flick, but because his kindness in posting a photo of Jo Jo, the Dog-Faced Boy made me remember my first introduction to the book by Frederick Drimmer about many carny performers, some of whom later appeared in "Freaks".

There is also a fine chapter on "The Elephant Man" who was thought for years to have Neurofibromatosis [sp?], but now I believe the prevailing belief is that he had Proteus Syndrome instead. Very Special People have played a small but important part in films, so if you can think of one in which any such performer appeared, please share. Also any movies made about someone who would have been in the VSP category but is being portrayed instead, will qualify.

I do think Browning's connection to the carnival world made him treat these performers with the utmost respect to the extent that by the end of "Freaks" it is the supposed normal human beings who seem to be the freaks.

www.ebay.com/p/Very-Special-People-by-Outlet-Book-Company-Staff-and-Random-House-Value-Publishing-Staff-1985/2382513?iid=323386149749&chn=ps

Probably the first thing that'll come to mind for most people here CG, would be...

Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942), and where at one point in the film, a group of likable carny 'freaks' help Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane avoid capture by the police.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Probably the first thing that'll come to mind for most people here CG, would be...

Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942), and where at one point in the film, a group of likable carny 'freaks' help Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane avoid capture by the police.

Oh, yeah...Billy Curtis, who was in so many films and in one of my faves, "The Incredible Shrinking Man" directed by Jack Arnold from the great Richard Matheson book. I've read Matheson did not care for the, shall we say, Christlike poses at the end, and other references but it's still a fine film with Grant Williams looking dishy in his little toga-like apparel. Hopefully no one will mistake April Kent, who also played a small person in the film, for a real carny type, since she was not really small sized but looked great in the shots with Scott Carey. Thanks, Dargo for a good reference!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings