Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Police Force abuses?


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, hamradio said:

How does an officer use a gun instead of a Taser?

https://apnews.com/article/how-does-police-use-gun-instead-of-taser-explained-e6bb9c49b1bcdc244e3ec11d94137c82

 

How does an officer mistake a gun for a Taser? Here's what experts say

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/nation-world/how-officer-uses-gun-instead-of-a-taser/507-4f904a48-fbbf-4619-a35e-819812741a06

 

This  will haunt her for the rest of her life.

0_Kimberly-Potter.jpg

 

 

This is NOT murder but negligent homicide at the most! 

20608348_G.jpg?lastEditedDate=1618324050

 

Wouldn't label  this as Police Force Abuse.

 

From the article [and an excellent point] “Why do we even have Tasers that operate and function and feel and deploy exactly like a firearm?” Carter asked. “Why can’t we have Tasers that look and feel different? That you could never mistake for deploying a firearm so that we can ensure that mistake that has happened before can never happen again?”

"This  will haunt her for the rest of her life."  And well it should.  She was a 26 YEAR veteran police officer.  She should know the difference between a stun gun and a pistol.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That video clearly shows that her taser was fastened to her LEFT side, and assuming she's right-handed, she obviously should have been aware of which weapon she was pulling out.  And as the video also clearly shows the young man was NOT armed, NO weapon of ANY kind should have been pulled out by ANY officer.  

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Ma'Khia Bryant, a Black teenage girl, was shot and killed by a white police officer in Columbus, Ohio, after she called 911 for help when a group of "older kids" threatened her, according to her family.

............emergency dispatch received a call at approximately 4:30 p.m. A female caller said other girls were at the home trying to "stab them and put their hands on them," Woods said. Police officers were dispatched four minutes after the call ended and they arrived at the home at 4:44 p.m.

 

Body camera footage shows an officer getting out of his patrol car as he responds to a commotion on the driveway of a home.

As he approaches a group of people standing and shouting on the driveway, he asks, "What's going on?" Seconds later Bryant and another girl begin fighting in front of the officer.

Bryant can be seen pushing the girl to the ground. She then approaches a second girl and throws her against a car parked on the driveway. The officer shouts "Get down!" three times, pulls out his gun and shoots in Bryant's direction at least four times and she falls to the ground.

As the officer approaches her, a knife can be seen close to her.............

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0qEpRU3WTKVxUS1x2DuAfZ-Y0sndQgKdkDnWV1TWbY_84QBaOhIYcrDs8

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, mr6666 said:

 

Ma'Khia Bryant, a Black teenage girl, was shot and killed by a white police officer in Columbus, Ohio, after she called 911 for help when a group of "older kids" threatened her, according to her family.

............emergency dispatch received a call at approximately 4:30 p.m. A female caller said other girls were at the home trying to "stab them and put their hands on them," Woods said. Police officers were dispatched four minutes after the call ended and they arrived at the home at 4:44 p.m.

 

Body camera footage shows an officer getting out of his patrol car as he responds to a commotion on the driveway of a home.

As he approaches a group of people standing and shouting on the driveway, he asks, "What's going on?" Seconds later Bryant and another girl begin fighting in front of the officer.

Bryant can be seen pushing the girl to the ground. She then approaches a second girl and throws her against a car parked on the driveway. The officer shouts "Get down!" three times, pulls out his gun and shoots in Bryant's direction at least four times and she falls to the ground.

As the officer approaches her, a knife can be seen close to her.............

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0qEpRU3WTKVxUS1x2DuAfZ-Y0sndQgKdkDnWV1TWbY_84QBaOhIYcrDs8

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0qEpRU3WTKVxUS1x2DuAfZ-Y0sndQgKdkDnWV1TWbY_84QBaOhIYcrDs8

News of the police shooting also drew protesters to the Columbus Police Department headquarters, where many chanted for Bryant's name to be called.

"Say her name! Ma'Khia Bryant!" they yelled outside the station.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I wonder what the name of the girl who was saved by the officer was .

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was confusion at the scene and Bryant was the only one holding  the knife.  She REFUSED to obey commands to Get down!  How many times people have been shot for not dropping their Smartphone (mistaken for a weapon from a distance)?

42051346-9496957-image-a-29_161903379167

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Do you mean one of the many OTHER officers who could've tackled and restrained the girl with the knife instead?  

Sepiatone

Have you ever tried to tackle someone with a knife who is obviously in a very excited state?   This is an unfortunate situation, but let's not jump to conclusions yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

:huh:

"............The reforms are the results of a federal consent decree, the billy club used by the Department of Justice after a long investigation concluded in 2014 revealed the rot that had infested the department for decades. It found a rogue department that tolerated widespread brutality and racism, with no accountability, and zero training on how to de-escalate confrontations with civilians.......

.....“It’s not about resolving the situation as quickly as you can,” O’Hara says. “It’s about protecting the sanctity of every life.”...........

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:huh:

"............The reforms are the results of a federal consent decree, the billy club used by the Department of Justice after a long investigation concluded in 2014 revealed the rot that had infested the department for decades. It found a rogue department that tolerated widespread brutality and racism, with no accountability, and zero training on how to de-escalate confrontations with civilians.......

.....“It’s not about resolving the situation as quickly as you can,” O’Hara says. “It’s about protecting the sanctity of every life.”...........

like chicago?

:P

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ElCid said:

Have you ever tried to tackle someone with a knife who is obviously in a very excited state?   This is an unfortunate situation, but let's not jump to conclusions yet.

No, but then, I didn't go through months of training in how to handle such situations.  

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, Sepiatone said:

No, but then, I didn't go through months of training in how to handle such situations.  

Sepiatone

Not sure law enforcement goes through "months" of training in how to handle an armed person in an agitated state who is threatening someone else.  It's like in the military, there is a lot of training, but only a short time to do it.  In addition, there are a vast number of people to be trained at any given time.  They may be told in classrooms what is appropriate, but that is probably only a few hours or so.

It has only been recently that such a thing as law enforcement training in community colleges and senior colleges has been around.  Even then, that is not about how to handle people in all situations.

It is also one thing to be trained on what to do and then to actually be involved in a situation where an innocent person may die if you do not take immediate action.  Let's wait for the investigation to be finished.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only go by what a grandnephew of mine, who spent a year in the Michigan State Police academy  before becoming a trooper claims.   And also going by what I saw on the video, it did appear there was more than just one or two officers on that scene.   Maybe if the other officers pulled their thumbs out they could have restrained her.

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I can only go by what a grandnephew of mine, who spent a year in the Michigan State Police academy  before becoming a trooper claims.   And also going by what I saw on the video, it did appear there was more than just one or two officers on that scene.   Maybe if the other officers pulled their thumbs out they could have restrained her.

Sepiatone

"Nationally, states require an average of 21-24 weeks of police training. South Carolina requires 12. That's only 480 total hours of training, less than massage therapists (500 hours) and far less than barbers and cosmetologists (1,500 hours each). Worse, four of those 12 weeks are limited to internet-based training."  https://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/commentary/commentary-police-training-in-south-carolina-is-dangerously-deficient/article_b364e346-57f7-11ea-84de-57ebe6d3672b.html#:~:text=Nationally%2C states require an average,limited to internet-based training.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...